Anyone else here delete their Facebook?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cinnabun814, Aug 15, 2019 at 6:43 PM.

1. cinnabun814 macrumors regular

cinnabun814

I've finally had it with everything social media related except a couple forums and deleted Facebook and Snapchat.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I would if if weren't for a lot of communication to do with uni going on there

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Never joined either.

4. Zenithal macrumors G3

Likewise. I've had people explain Snapchat to me and I simply don't see the point in it. It's like Instagram, but worse. Facebook is good for keeping in touch with distant family or those who live in other states. Again, I must ask why?

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I thought snap chat was for sending expletive pictures to your boyfriend/girlfriend. Must be why I never looked into it!

6. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

I created my Facebook account back in 2007, as it was the easiest way at the time to chat with friends on the same course as me. After that course finished I stopped using it for a couple of years, but then started again as the groups are a great way for expats (technically, we're mainly immigrants) to arrange events etc and for me to share my life with friends and family back home.

However, I don't have either of the apps (Facebook and Messenger) on my phone - I just use the browser if I really need to update something on the move, otherwise it's something that can wait until I'm back at home with my laptop. I don't use it for anything urgent. I use iMessage and WhatsApp for messages that need a faster response. Or I just phone them, but that's pretty rare :)

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I used it for a while a few years back. It aggravated me to no end and I hated it very much. I only signed up because so many of my friends wanted me to. Then I deleted it and haven't looked back.

8. Zenithal macrumors G3

I spent a year thinking it was a tennis like chat service. Send something, have to get a reply before you can send something again.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Not talk accompanied by 90’s dance music?

10. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Neither did I.

Actually, I have never seen the point of joining either FaceBook or Snapchat.

Agreed.

Again, agreed.

Abroad, some of my colleagues (and our local staff) asked me to join FaceBook; I could never see the point, so I declined to do so, and, besides, I like the idea of privacy, personal space and some sort of boundaries.

The thing is, if a platform of this sort is provided for free, then you (and your data) are the product, and selling this - this product, you and your data - is what generates income and revenue and profit and clicks for the companies that provide the service.

11. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

There's clearly some decent use cases for Facebook, and a few standard protocols you should follow for security/privacy at a bare minimum (you can ratchet up things a good bit more).

Like most things in life, it can also be abused, it can be a conduit for hate, bullying, and it gives some people a voice who really shouldn't have one - and obviously, your sensitivity to the underlying [potential] malevolence of private data exposure is a major factor in whether you participate.

For managing groups, where they're a self contained organization - for example: car clubs - it's an OK tool that's has the right features, and ubiquitous access across all devices/platforms. I also get it as a family/close friends communication hub, where you've got a ton of people without any simple common tool to share photos, organize a reunion, etc.

We have close friends with businesses that very effectively use FB for marketing and communication, in their cases, they have much less direct personal exposure since the accounts are "commercial".

For me, it wound up being a zero sum sort of thing, so with no positive rationale to stay, I closed up my account a couple of years ago.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I have social media accounts (FB, IG, Twitter, SnapChat, LinkedIn and even Tumblr) but I use them as if they were professional tools, that is I schedule how much I use them and when. I can't get rid of them due to some of my job requirements, but I can limit them.

OP: read Cal Newport's "Digital Minimalism"

13. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Ahh, another discussion about deleting social media accounts on what is, if you lookup nearly any definition, another social media site. In a parallel dimension, there are people on Facebook posting about how they've left or never had a MacRumors account.

Coincidentally, I created a FB and MR account the same year, so I've been on both for over a decade. I check FB every two weeks to two months whereas I'm here daily.

I only ever joined FB because one of my peers whom I had a crush on kept telling me I should. Whenever I asked what the point was, she said that you could take a bunch of surveys and quizzes. Not very enticing and sort of ominous in hindsight given Zuck's penchant for data-mining.

Come to think of it, I joined MR and Snapchat for similar reasons! Is everybody I've ever liked just a social media plant? Have I ever known love?! :eek::eek:

14. ApplesandOranges macrumors regular

ApplesandOranges

Had a page for over a year and was very active. That is until my friends and family started reposting political crap, and or what they had for lunch. Then it morphed into look how wonderful my life is type posts. Or worse, old girlfriends trying to reconnect.

Great example... My best friend and his wife were in Vegas arguing and having a terrible time. He called me when he was out eating alone. His wife was back at the hotel. Meanwhile on their Facebook pages they were having a great time and everything was wonderful.

Facebook was also great in the beginning to reconnect with some childhood friends from school or the neighborhood. But after a while I realized I really did not have much in common with them and lived a completely different life.

I finally realized how ridiculous the whole concept was. Pretty much there was real life and then life according to Facebook. It was great to keep up with what was going on in the lives of distant family members but that was about it for me.

Deleted my page over two years ago. Don't miss it at all.

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Who did you have a crush on on MR? If it’s me sorry to say I’m a happily married man! :p

16. Zenithal macrumors G3

La Bouche? Didn't one part of the act die in some horrendous Swiss air crash?

17. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Eh, he hasn't been on for over six years and only amassed 70 posts, so I doubt anybody would remember him.

A RING DON'T MEAN A THING, BAYBEE! ;);););)

18. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Stop blaming me for your life choices!

To the OP: I keep my Facebook active and check it daily, but that's mainly to delete the "Memories" that Facebook reminds me of. Slowly but surely, I'm hoping every trace of my cancerous-cringe teenage years will be erased.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

The internet never forgets.

20. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Believe me Yax, I've tried many times to erase the memory of our fateful night.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Don't make other MR users jealous! :p

22. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

Google says yes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Bouche

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanie_Thornton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossair_Flight_3597

Ugh the singer was only 34 years old.

I recall that crash - obviously overshadowed by September 11.

Interesting fact, I went to a book fair the next year where this nutty French dude (Theirry Meysan) who claimed no plane but a missile hit the Pentagon entered a debate with a Swiss air crash expert who had investigated this very crash among others.

Needless to say the expert demolished the other guy's conspiracy theory.

23. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

The Betty Ford Clinic didn’t have WiFi so I missed the whole FB explosion. By the time I got out that train had left the station.

24. eyoungren, Aug 16, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 10:09 AM

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Never had snapchat, don't see a point in sending messages that disappear. If you scroll through my iMessage contacts you'd find messages back to 2011 when I first started using an iPhone - so there's a reason Snapchat doesn't appeal to me.

As to Facebook…February 2017. And deleted as in deleted. Not that FB temporary garbage where they say they will archive your account and hold on to your email. I searched and found the actual link that has your account data purged from the system entirely. Three months later (February 2017) it was purged.

But before that I used a script inside a web browser to systematically remove every photo, post and private detail that I had in my account. If you find me at all on FB it's because I was mentioned on someone else's wall.

Essentially, I nuked my account data before I deleted the account.

25. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

i need my donald duck account to check codes once in 5 years from a company, which only release %-codes in facebook. my profile person loves reading and watching drama... he is a nice charming guy from utah living in iceland and having phd in womens studies. he is also married, having children but dating a man.