Anyone else hesitating on using iCloud

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Oman, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Oman macrumors regular

It's a great feature, however It's making me feel like I am losing control of my data and its off in the clouds on some server in another state and not on my computer. Its either or and not both and with iCloud so I have yet to flip the switch on backing up to the cloud. Anyone else feel the same?

2. James Godfrey macrumors regular

So far iOS5 is amazing, but iCloud and the new me.com email is bad.... needs sorting, I think so far iCloud is a waste of time, a lot considering that it 'JUST WORKS'

3. pauliedoggs macrumors member

I'm waiting for my 4S and when it arrives, one of the first things I'm going to do is promptly disable iCloud. I'm not crazy about all my data going somewhere else either.

You can disable it, right?

4. Oman thread starter macrumors regular

You have to actually enable it.

5. d0ster macrumors regular

Lol I'll help clarify what you meant because I got a little confused reading your post. iCloud comes disabled and you have to enable it. ;)

6. idkmybffjon macrumors member

i feel bad for everyone dealing with all the problems.

as a dev I've had iCloud enabled for months and there for have experienced nothing but absolutely perfection from iCloud.

hang in there. when all the kinks are worked out, the experience and convenience are amazing.

7. pauliedoggs macrumors member

Thanks for the clarification on the enable/disable thing.

8. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

I haven't switched. I'm not pleased with some of the things we're losing (I already sent feedback), and I'm confused by a whole lot of the email things going on, I don't like the photo stream feature at all, I dunno, I'm just glad there is time before we are forced out of Mobile Me.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

10. hafr macrumors 68030

You do know it's possible to sync everything to both iTunes and iCloud, right? :) If you're really nervous about it, just do that and choose only to see either the info from your mac or from iCloud to avoid the dual entries :)

Concerning backups, I have automatic backups to iCloud and do manual backups to iTunes from time to time.

11. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

ohhhh, don't get me started on backups!!!

the number of people who have been backing up their data to an external drive, but in actuality they were moving their data to a USB drive.... And then I get the call.....

My backup's broken!!!!

Those poor bastards! When will they learn???

12. Oman thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm I did not think of that. When you turn it on it says it will only back up to the cloud automatically but I guess you can still manually synch. Think I will flip it on now. Thanks for the reminder.

13. hafr macrumors 68030

Haha, yeah :) "What? I need to have the same file in two locations? What a waste of space" ;)

14. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

No. e-mail has always worked this way for starters.