Anyone else hold their old phones lately?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShUpAC, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ShUpAC macrumors member

I took out my old 5S earlier this evening to charge and reset, but when I grabbed it it felt like a little toy phone.

This was the first time I touched my old iPhone since last Friday night, and I was surprised how quickly I must have got used to the 6 plus.

This probably didn't merit a thread, but it was just such a strange feeling.. And I loved my 5S ☺

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I have a stock 5s as my daily driver and a jailbroken 4s as an emergency backup. Both feel fine in the hand and it's not like an increase in screen size makes the previous iPhones any less amazing than they were when they first came out. Calling any of them "a little toy" seems like an exaggeration.

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

5. Jspiegs macrumors member

Jspiegs

i went from a galaxy s4 to the 6 and when I pick it up it feels like I'm holding a boulder!

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I dusted off a couple iPhone 4s for AT&T's trade in promotion, and it's ridiculous how small the phones feel now. It wasn't that long ago that 3.5" was considered huge for a phone

7. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

Yup. Took out my 4S to wipe off some data, and it felt absolutely tiny with everything crammed together on the screen. Hadn't even had my 6 Plus for a week and I don't know how Is ever managed with a 3.5" display (and this was after using the 3.5" form factor for five years).

8. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

Same thing happened to me. I guess getting used to a Phabket is easy to do.

9. torana355 macrumors 68020

When i went from my ip4 to a larger screen android phone i did the same thing, i went back to my ip4 to delete my data and wondered how i ever put up with such a small screen. Welcome to 2014 Apple.

10. Skittlebug macrumors member

Same here. When I got my 5S out to get it ready for trade in it made me love my Plus even more.

11. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Yeah, my old phone was a crappy LG tracfone, so, you know...big improvement there!

I also have an iPod touch 5th gen. It is lighter and thinner (makes it actually feel cheaper) than the iphone 6, but sooooo small! When I unlocked it, I noticed how cramped and squeezed together the entire UI was, which I never thought about when it was my main device. I also found that I already got used to the bigger keyboard and the old one was, once again, cramped and I couldn't type AT ALL!

12. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

13. mrsketch macrumors member

I've had the iPhone 6 since launch day and it is just too uncomfortable in my hands. My palm on my right hand is actually sore from holding onto the phone. Maybe Im holding it too tight in attempt to compensate for the slippery design but it is just not comfortable for me.

I picked up my iPhone 5s tonight and it feels so much better. I can easily wrap one hand around it and hold it securely.

You guys will probably think Im crazy but I think I'm going to return my iPhone 6 and go back to my 5s. I have an iPad Air that I use at home. I want a phone that is comfortable to hold when Im away from home. Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone 6 is beautiful. I just wish it didn't make my hand sore.

Does anyone else have sore hands from holding their 6 or 6 plus?

14. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

It's not crazy. The iphone 5/5s is a good size. I still have mine. I also have the 6 Plus and it is delicate and I have to hold it with both hands.

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I remember when the 5 rumors started and so many swore they would leave Apple if they made the phone bigger than the 4.

Loving my 6! It is what the 5 should have been!

16. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Ever since I got an iPad mini I've found my iPhone 5 to be really cramped feeling in comparison. That's probably one reason I decided to go with the 6 Plus this time.

17. bob24 macrumors 6502

You should try to hold your old Nokia 3310 or similar ;-)

Apple really did reinvent the phone ... we still call them phones but they are gradually becoming very different devices.

18. Skika macrumors 68030

Wow look at that champagne gold colour so ahead of its time.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got my 6 today (today is launch day over here) and it didn't feel big despite coming from a 4S. Unfortunately something got messed up with SIM provisioning so I still had to use the 4S for calls and texts, and I was amazed at how small it felt after just a couple of hours with the 6.

It was especially interesting when I got the same email on both phones and realised that the 6 shows twice as much content as the 4S.

The provisioning is fixed now :)

20. ShUpAC thread starter macrumors member

The iPhone 5S is a very powerful, and capable phone. When I say "little toy", I don't mean anything else but the difference in screen size. It felt like I was holding one of those little toy phones, that's all.

----------

Congratulations! It really is a big (no pun intended) jump for us.

21. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I used to have a Lumia 920. Whenever I looked at my iPhone 4, it looked like such a tiny toy in comparison, and I found it hard to believe that I used that puny screen for so long.

22. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I have been pulling out my iPhone 5 the last couple of days, and oddly enough, I really like and appreciate the feel in the hand. It feels much better and easier to handle in my hand than my 6. This obviously is due to it's size, but still surprised me.

23. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yea my wife uses the 4S and after holding my 6 Plus, the 4S is very tiny. I can't imagine going back to a 3.5" screen.

24. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Yeah, quite the revelation. Makes you understand where the Android users were coming from, for sure. After a few days with my 6, I got my wife's old 5 ready to sell, and when I picked it up to wipe it, it simply felt so tiny. I'm sure 6+ users will feel the same way going to a 6, but for me, the ability to actually hold the phone securely and operate one handed is worth more to me than the even larger screen. (I also have an iPad Mini that I use at home when I am browsing on the couch or reading books/magazines, etc.).

25. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I really miss the 5S when I hold it, such a sturdy and compact phone.