Anyone else hope Apple makes another "slate" iPhone?

Anthony T

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I really loved the color of the slate/black iPhone 5. If it weren't for it being so prone to chipping and scratching, I would definitely love to see it on the next iPhone or at least another one in the near future. Sometimes, I consider going back to an iPhone 5 just for that color. It was so beautiful. :(

Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
While I liked the color, it's also the only iPhone I ever had that got the anodization scuffed off showing bare aluminum. Whatever they did that year was insufficient to my needs, particularly considering the care I take (should say took because now that I have a three year old in my life my phones get a lot more eBay up) with these devices.

If they can get beyond these issues I prefer the color over all else. I'd also welcome other colors with a black bezel. I think the silver back would also look exceptionally nice AND compliment Apple's Mac lineup

Reactions: biracialfamily91

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
There is always hope.

But the reality is that rather than solving the anodization problem Apple simply chose to reduce anodization time. The result is Space Gray which hides scratches and nicks much better than Black/Slate.

Apple could solve the problem, but that would cost them more than they want to pay. In the meantime, Space Gray sells because there are customers who like the color and those who are just trying to get as close to black as they can.

Apple is all about denying the customer what they want if it makes them more money to do so.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Apple is all about denying the customer what they want if it makes them more money to do so.
Apple has invested countless resources creating a company so influential and powerful that they can do anything and the customer will advocate for the company. It's an amazing testimony of what Apple Devotees will tolerate.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
In my opinion iPhone 5 is the best phone they've ever made in terms of design.
I loved both the silver and slate models and I'm not a fan of space grey, it is not dark enough.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Sure. Slate grey was the closest to black that Apple has out on an iPhone, but just as has already been mentioned, Apple apparently seems uninterested in investing the time/energy into the anodization process to get the current space grey a few shades darker, unfortunately.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Sure. Slate grey was the closest to black that Apple has out on an iPhone, but just as has already been mentioned, Apple apparently seems uninterested in investing the time/energy into the anodization process to get the current space grey a few shades darker, unfortunately.
Yeah, which is interesting, Apparently there is a darker shade for the Apple Watch. They'll do it there, but not for the iPhone.

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.