Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Whenever i am outside using the data plan on my iphone is super slow. ive tried power cycling and it sometimes helps but only for the first minute or so then it goes back to being slow. ive tried clearing out apps by double tapping the home button...theres no real solution.

I very rarely have more than 2 bars. Calls sometimes take a while to dial out..

some additional info:

-wifi of course works fine.

-i have an unlimited data from at&t and no i dont go over 3gb a month so im not getting limited

-using an otterbox case so i dont think its the case.

i talked to an at&t rep and asked if it has to do with sim card and she said not likely. she said that she noticed a similar problem on her own iphone and that she brought it in the apple store and they "unblocked" something that was affecting her antenna? wtf? have u all heard of something like this?

i am going to the apple store later this week as well as trying to swap out a sim from at&T in the meantime i want to see if any of u have experienced something similar

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Almost certainly AT&T but it wouldn't hurt to get it checked at Apple.

I have no clue what the rep was talking about it regards to unblocking something. Sounds like BS.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Mine works just fine. I noticed how much quicker it was on 3G compared to my iPhone 4.

where r u located? im in southern california .

are ur bars usually full ? r u mostly outdoors? i find reception at malls is virtually impossible for some reason

----------

Almost certainly AT&T

hm. so u figure it has to do with sim card or do u think they r secretly limiting people who have an unlimited data plan (even ppl who dont go over 3gb)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Probably just your area. AT&T has been doing a lot of expanding in SoCal, especially in the Northern Los Angeles Area and San Diego. Could barely get 2 bars in those areas now I almost always have 4+.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

are ur bars usually full ? r u mostly outdoors? i find reception at malls is virtually impossible for some reason

----------

hm. so u figure it has to do with sim card or do u think they r secretly limiting people who have an unlimited data plan (even ppl who dont go over 3gb)

I'm in the UK. With O2. Usually full bars when I'm on 3G unless I'm out in the sticks (countryside).

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

There's your problem. SoCal has been AT&T's Waterloo ever since they sold off a huge chunk of spectrum there to t mobile. Coverage there has been bad for AT&T for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.