Anyone Else Just Turing Off 3G Until They Fix It Besides Me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TXCraig, Jul 22, 2008.

1. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I can't handle the dropped calls and batter going from full to empty in 4 hours of standby time. I'm just shutting the 3G off. How many others are doing this?

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I haven't experienced any of your problems. I haven't got 1 dropped call yet and every phone call I have made in the past 4 days on 3G have been VERY clear. When I use 3G for the internet my battery doesn't drain quickly either.

3. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

You've obviously got a defective phone if its battery dies after 4 hours of doing absolutely nothing at all, you need to return it.

4. rareflares macrumors regular

yeah, my phone lasts 32 hours with about 7-8 hours of usage on a full charge. you probably got a defective iphone, unfortunately

5. jacksam101 macrumors member

Fix what? At work I have full 3G signal (full bars displayed) and have had the best battery life from my iphone; it does suffer when it has to swap between GPRS/Edge/3G

But even then I have to charge it nightly (looks about 1/4 battery full)

6. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

It would probably be worth taking it in and having it checked out.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would take your iPhone in for service, the battery and dropped calls problem seem to be pointing to a defective part or something.

8. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I would recommend everyone turning off 3G if you are in the Washington DC area... More 3G for me!!!! :D

It's working great for me! I get plenty of battery and fast speeds and no dropped calls.

9. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

I turned 3G off since it helps drain the battery. I dont notice a difference with it on or off anyway.

10. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Turning *off*?

11. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Uhhh... yea... I mean... No... Turn it on ;)

Nice catch.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

There is one issue; 3G is nice but the problem is that the phone (or maybe it is the cell service) doesn't switch from 3G to Edge when it REALLY needs to. For example, at my friends house he has a gen 1 iphone, he gets FULL strength as in 5 bars. With 3G on in his house I get ZERO bars but yet the phone will NOT switch to edge! It is so annoying, I have to turn 3G off manually. Surely the phone should switch when the 3G signal is so weak that calls can not be made?

13. diesel macrumors 6502a

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is an option I want:

"Auto Turn off 3G only when it has 1 bar or less AND the EDGE network currently has more bars."

15. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Wouldn't that mean both antenna(or recievers or whatever) would need to be active at all times reading signal strengths?

16. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

I think your phone might be defective. I was on 3g two nights ago and yesterday when i woke up for work I didn't even look on my iPhone and just took it with me to catch the bus. This is at 8AM.

Then at lunch time I realized it (3G) was on and just used it for about 30 minutes browsing on Safari. It got somewhat hot. I was playing music simultaneously. I left it on again

At 7:00Pm when I was on the bus going home I turned it off. I also have Push on. I think I probably had 2 hours of use on the iPhone and a whole work day of standby.

At 7:00 when i turned it off I was still good for battery life enough to leave it on my bed without charging it. I finally plugged it in at 1AM.

It already does this. When my 3G goes down to 1 bar, it automatically reverts to EDGE which has full bars.

17. bdorpetzl macrumors regular

bdorpetzl

Port Washington, Wisconsin - Boats and Beer . . .
    I have noticed that my phone tries to hold on to the poor 3G signal instead of switching to EDGE, which causes it to lose signal and take about 20-30 seconds to switch. So, I turn 3G off when I know the signal is bad and I have no problem. It seems that there may be a problem in the software with regards to switching. I must say though, even though I have about 1-2 bars of EDGE at home, I have had no dropped calls nor any NO SERVICE issues that I had with my 1.0 iPhone.

18. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Could be crappy 3G in your area. The phone could be trying to get a 3G signal, which is lowering battery life. Even still, doesn't seem like that's normal. I would try reading this thread, see if it helps:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=527562

19. phishie macrumors newbie

What kind of usage? Is that 7-8 usage with 3G, wifi, Push, Bluetooth, and Location Services (GPS) on? That's crazy good if true. If you're getting battery life like that than mine must be defective because I'm getting roughly 5-6 hours usage (3G/wifi/GPS off when not in use) with 10-15 standby.

20. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

+1!!! I wish we had this. I have to turn mine off when away from big cities, cause it'll hold on for dear life to a crappy 3G signal and I drop calls all the time..

PLEASE FIX THIS APPLE / AT&T.

21. btcutter macrumors 6502

I don't get great 3G coverage at work or home so I have it on EDGE to save battery life.

When I am at home, I may turn on Wifi.

When I want to browse, I turn on 3G or Wifi whichever is available.

Stay by on EDGE last days.

Browsing really eat up battery (expected, think of your notebook....last only a few hrs surfing so you should expect the same with the iPhone).

22. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Is that because you do not have 3G coverage?

Otherwise I wonder what you mean. If I am stuck in Edge only I will only use data services if I really must (outside of email, sms). That has only happened once. 3G on the other hand has been very fast for me. Really good internet experience and streaming music, etc.

23. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

I wish I could take a video. The switch is done for me within 5 seconds and it doesn't disrupt any network connections I have except for AIM.

24. bdorpetzl macrumors regular

bdorpetzl

Port Washington, Wisconsin - Boats and Beer . . .
    I don't doubt the fast switching you have seen, I still feel there may be some timeout issues with regards to the software. I think part of the problem is when I test it, I am in a very weak area for 3G. I would have to check when I am coming from an area with 3G coverage to EDGE coverage.