iPad Anyone else keep accidentally closing apps?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Tapiture, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

I’m finding the new shortcut where you pull up from the bottom to exit out of an app to me more of a nuisance than a help. It makes it really hard to pull up the dock to open up an app in split screen. Is this how the shortcut is meant to be or is this a bug in the beta versions?

2. snow755 macrumors 65816

snow755

It’s called a beta for a reason. Beta will have many bugs

3. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Well I wanted to confirm it was actually a bug and not the intended function

4. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

That’s the new feature for iPads which is similar to the iPhone X.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 18, 2018 ---
    It’s not a bug that’s the intended function.

5. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Ah ok. It’s rather ill-conceived considering it’s also how you get the app dock up. On the iPad it makes much more sense to use the 5-fingered pinch-to-close shortcut, in my opinion.

6. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

I got annoyed by it since I never used an iPhone X but I’m getting used to it so far.

7. Diamond Dog macrumors member

Diamond Dog

Theoretically, I enjoy it because it brings my iPad's behavior in line with what I've gotten used to on my X.

In practice, though, I agree with you-- I am closing apps way more than I intend to. I find that if all I want to do is open the dock, I kind of have to purposefully do the gesture slower and more specifically, and if I do the gesture without paying much attention I'll close my opened app instead.

Not sure if it's a matter of me just having to get used to the new gesture and finding the sweet spot, or Apple needing to tweak the gesture/animation.

8. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Personally, I quite like it, and it works perfectly for me. Intuitively I feel like the velocity and distance of the pull for Dock versus closing is pretty good already and I always get the behaviour I want - No matter if it's the Dock, closing the app, going to app switcher or jumping to a different app quickly. I had to play with it a lot the first day or two, but now I'm used to it and it works well for me. But I'm sure they'll tweak the exact distance and velocity it takes to activate it a lot throughout the beta.

9. canesalato macrumors 65816

canesalato

I do, but i am willing to give this new system some time, because we come from years of closing apps in a different way. Also i don’t have iPhone X.
    Maybe with people used to it....nah, not sure

10. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

It’s far too easy to close apps by mistake. Hopefully Apple will require you to pull further up to close the app.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I like how fast it is to close apps. On my Verizon (iPhone X) iOS 11.4 model, I find myself trying to close apps the same way as my T-Mobile (iPhone X) iOS 12, which gets frustrating at times.

12. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I think you've misunderstood the conceit of this thread. It's about the new gesture for closing (not quitting) an app on iPad. :)

13. Feenician macrumors 603

Feenician

To answer the question in the op, yes. I'm getting used to it now though and I do expect some tweaks to speed/distance etc. to decrease ambiguity as we go through the betas.

Going slightly off-topic what does annoy me a bit is the lack of consistency between devices. If it makes sense to make the gestures on an iPad like the X, why not have those same gestures on my 7+? I'd have had less difficulty adopting the new gestures if they worked everywhere.

14. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 65816

TheSkywalker77

It's not a bug, it's a horrible adaptation of a gesture based system meant for a 5 inch phone, not a 10 inch tablet.