Anyone else keeping away from the 1st gen mba due to hinge issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jjahshik32, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I want one and the mba can be had on the refurb store but only reason keeping me away is the hinge issues.

Anyone else feel the same?

2. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

I am worried about it, but that is why I bought Applecare. If I have an issue they WILL fix it.

I gave my GF strict instructions to be gentle when using my old Rev A anyway! So hopefully it will never be an issue. ;)

3. drjsway macrumors 6502a

No, they won't. They'll say you did something to it and try to charge you $800.

4. gsampson macrumors member

My RevA hinge was loose, so I took it in and Apple fixed it. Now I am selling it on ebay because I don't want to be caught without AppleCare if this happens again. Just bought the 2.4 GHZ Macbook to take its place.

5. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Ive never seen this does it fall all the way back?

6. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

It is possible that they might try that. But I didnt spend $1700 + applecare on that Air to accept subpar service if/when it breaks. I will not accept them failing to live up to their obligations.

7. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

FWIW there are a number of more significant hardware reasons to stay away from the Rev.A than sloppy hinges.

8. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

nope

I've never had a problem with the hinge...I've got the rev a, bought it the day it was announce...people are just exaggerating...no one knows what causes the hinge to break...it's all based on personal use

9. crzander macrumors newbie

I have not had any problem with mine. Maybe some people are just over rough with it? When I close my lid I try and close it from the center. My hinge is also tight. No problems here.:)

10. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Mine was loose but I didn't take it in. A few months later, it just snapped, and Apple refused to fix it. Oh well, guess I should've taken it in when it was only loose.

11. d94 macrumors member

hmmm so if mine just started doing that 180 ****
    and the hinges arent loose..and i like that the screen can somehow go back further, should i take it in? or am i setting myself up

12. matryska macrumors newbie

I feel the same. A MBA (in my case, Rev B) would be nice, but I don't want to deal with the hinge issue. It seems some people are having trouble getting it repaired under warranty, which worries me especially as it is not cheap (when purchased brand new). It reminds me a bit of the titanium PowerBook hinge issue.

13. dudup macrumors regular

dudup

+1

I've been using mine for 14 months on a daily basis at work. I use it a lot, and everyday bring it home, I walk around the office a lot bringing it with me, opening and closing the lid lots of times thru the day. I really use and abuse it.

It's hinge is a little loosen indeed, but I won't even notice it.

To be honest, I only notice this problem when I stumble across a topic here. :D

14. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I'm not too worried about the hinge as my rev A only has to last me until rev C comes out, then it's history anyway.

15. xerenthar macrumors 6502

tips on this for a loose hinge individual?

16. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

Be polite, be clear about what the issue is and what you expect them to do for you. Get everyones name and follow up with their boss if they cant or wont resolve the situation for you. Repeat the last step until the problem is either fixed or Steve Jobs himself is telling you to go away. :) The internet makes it very easy to find contact information for anyone at any level of a company.

If you feel the need to take the issue to the court of public opinion then post concise, clear reviews stating the service you needed from Apple, if they met your expectations or not and who you dealt with on any and all review webpages. (trusted reviews, planet feedback, Apple boards, amazon etc)

If you feel the need to take things further your state BBB or AG's office is the next step.

At all times you need to be polite and clear about how you expect them to resolve the issue. Keep documentation of when and who you have dealt with and always set specific times to follow up.

Obviously this only works when you are in the right, try this with an Air that has a big dent in it and you will hit a wall. But I am confidant that Apple will take good care of someone who is making a reasonable request.