Anyone else keeping their iPhone 5 or 5S and not selling it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by egeek84, Sep 13, 2014.

1. egeek84 macrumors 6502

egeek84

I ordered the 6 Plus already and recently put my iPhone 5 on Craigslist. The weird thing is, I got zero calls or emails with offers (and in the past, usually people are quick to message me almost instantly with counter offers or questions about the condition of the phone, etc.)

But anyways, since I didn't get any bites and I really don't want to lower the price any lower than I already put it at, part of me is thinking of just keeping it. It's not a bad phone, I really enjoyed the iPhone 5 and to be honest, had the 6 not been announced this year, I would have continued happily using it with no qualms.

I figure I can use it as an iPod touch or even an emergency/backup phone in case I lose my Iphone 6 (which I dont plan on doing at all, knock on wood!)

What do you guys think? Keep or sell

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I don't have unlimited cash. From what I have seen during the Keynote, the iPhone 6 and 6+ do not provide me enough delta to my current iPhone 5 to justify spending several hundred dollars. I'll hold on to the iPhone 5 as long as it does what I expect it to do, or a newer iPhone arrives with greater performance separation.

3. Deguello macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of keeping my 5 to use when I go out of the country and/or as a backup for my kids' phones. Hell, I might take it to the gym, too.

4. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I plan to keep mine. Haven't preordered/ordered the 6plus yet, but I'd like to see/feel the phones before I decide. I'm thinking I may just hold on to my 5, even if I do get a new iPhone. Sent from my iPad.

5. techspin macrumors 6502a

Keeping mine til I'm satisfied with the 6. Then I may sell or give it to family if they need it. How much memory does it have and how much did you ask for it?

6. egeek84 thread starter macrumors 6502

egeek84

its a 32gb black ATT (but i can unlock it since i just completed the contract for it.) I put it up for $380.

7. bueller1 macrumors 6502

I put mine up for $300 and got a few bites . What was your price? I agree, I usually upgrade every year but the 5 was great, had no reason to get a 5S. But I have no use for it after the 6 arrives

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

$380 for a locked iPhone 5? That's too high considering a year-old at&t 32 gigs typically sell for $450 unlocked after the new one streets and this would be the 5s.

9. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Agreed
    $300 or under. Mine is unlocked too

10. nyc2pdx macrumors 6502

Keeping mine for testing/xcode. Still a great phone.

11. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

Keep it or give it to a family member. In my case, my 5 went to my mom, and my 5S went to my niece. Both are thrilled with the phones, and that alone made it worth not collecting money from selling them.

12. tb12 macrumors newbie

I'm giving my 5, which is still in great condition, to my dad and getting the 6. If you don't want to sell it do you have someone you could give it to?

13. mhdena macrumors 6502

My 5 will become my ipod, my 4 that has been my ipod will bring me $200 towards my new 6.:D

14. kreger1 macrumors newbie

I currently have a 4,5,and soon 6.
    I plan on keeping the 4 and 5 to tinker with.. maybe give the 5 to my mom when shes ready for a smart phone. I find it interesting to keep the main models and collect them and see how they change over the years... but thats just how I am! :apple:

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'll be selling my 5. Don't need the cash but I'm not a hoarder either. I'm anticipating I'll get around $200 for it.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Keeping mine. The only iPhone I didn't keep was the 3GS. I'll be getting back my old 5 from my mom so I can add it to my collection while she gets my brother's 5s. Old unlocked phones tend to be pretty useful for international travel or as backup in case a phone breaks. :)

17. quackers82 macrumors 6502

I just got a brand new battery in my iPhone 5, and its still a very good phone, so at the very least I'm going to hold on to early next year and see how my cash is before upgrading to a 6 i want to buy sim free at full cost upfront from Apple this time. (Only problem is if i leave it to long i will convince my self to wait for the 6S).

18. AppleKash macrumors 6502

Yup.. I actually keep all of my phones. Still have my 1st Gen..

AT&T unlocks them for me. When I travel overseas they will come in hand. Other than that I just like em..