Anyone else like minimalist design? (Please rate my new site layout)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Wow, that's really minimalist. Almost to the point of feeling incomplete. Out of 10, I'd give it a 6.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Yeah, I like it (both minimalist design and your site). It's better than some complicated page that takes a while to load and render. The bottom line is, if you don't have much to show (in your case you just have one product, and a few other pages, like about your company, support, etc.), you don't need anything fancy. That site works just fine and looks pretty cool too. Good job.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I love minimalist design (when appropriate). I like the design of the site. I would give it an 8/10.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I reckon the site's great, I'm a huge fan of the minimalist look. Just one thing, maybe increase the font size just a little. I'm fully aware that this can be done in the browser options but compared to other sites, your type is pretty small and it looks kind of lonely in the middle of the screen. And this is on a 12 inch screen! :eek:

That's just me being picky though, otherwise I reckon it's cool. :)

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Very nice minimalist look, but I second the vote to either increase the font size or just set the font itself and leave the size up to the user agent settings.

I don't care that it looks a bit lonely in the middle of the screen like that--that's practically the goal--but it's VERY hard to read on my monitor at default settings. Sure, I can manually set the size larger, but that's why my default font size is already set a bit on the hefty size--so I can read from where I sit without having to Command-plus on every page I go to.

Davito

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Zurich, Switzerland
I like the diesign. But I am not sure the iJuicer conforms to the design guidelines of apple for software. Shouldn't the backround of the window be brushed metal?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
iostream.h said:
Nicely executed, looks good. ;)

If I may be so bold, I would however consider reducing you column width for the content though. Ideally you don't want to exceed 10 - 12 words a line, and currently it comfortably exceeds that. I've done a quick rejig, and the line length still exceeds that, but the design looks more weighted to me.

Just a thought. :)

Personally I find the text size okay, and it's easily legible on 1024x768 res, maybe try bumping it up a point size just to compare though.

But yeah, thumbs up from me. ;)

Other tight minimal sites.

Zissou
Fabrica
Tobias Wong

G

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
The Fabrica site iGav suggests is nice until the big yellow mess at the bottom appears!

I don't know if there's meant to be anything on this page, as I'm in work using a PC, but it's damn minimal...

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
I like it but why the white border on the right of the image thumbnails?

Edit:I added a screenshot of what it looks like in Firefox after noticing that the boarders aren't there in iGav's screenshot of Safari.

Attachments

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
eh personally i find that a to be a little too minimalist. Not to bash you or nothing but I think it needs a frame of some kind even if it's just a very suble one.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Nice way to bring your software to market.
Liked the site too but wonder what you'll do when you have twenty or thirty bit of ware for use to use.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
iLikeMyiMac said:
I like it but why the white border on the right of the image thumbnails?

Edit:I added a screenshot of what it looks like in Firefox after noticing that the boarders aren't there in iGav's screenshot of Safari.
Just looking at the source, he just needs to add 'borders="0"' to the images to fix the problem in Firefox.

I've noticed that the clickable area exceeds the actual images themselves, so personally I'd be inclined to create div's specifically for the images, position them relative and that'll fix the problem, whilst maintaining the layout when text sizes are increased.

I'd also be inclined to add width values in the css (particularly the links and products div's) to stop text overlap when the font size is manually increased, and thus maintaining the layout.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I like minimalistic designs because I like very clean designs. Although I don't like it when there are absolutely no images.

I consider my site clean, but not necessarily minimalistic.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
I too enjoy mostly minimalist designs, however, its a little kinda plain and monotone.

Could you try adding some color to your text (like the iJuicer text for example) or even vary the font size, so you actually know that its navigation, and a better logo wouldn't hurt.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
I think it needs more 'positive space'- give the different elements a little more space to breathe.

Also, I reckon you should use a different font, like Gill or Futura.

iostream.h

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks everyone for the comments!

I have went ahead and narrowed the width on my content, as to allow 10-12 words per line (it also matches up a little nicer). I have also fixed the border issues and put widths on the links and product divs as to keep the layout when someone resizes the text manually. And for any of you that were worrying, this site will verify when I'm done with it.

EDIT: Looking at iGav's screenshot, his Safari (and apparently many of yours) Safari is rendering the text xx-small, when I put it as x-small :\

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
iostream.h said:
EDIT: Looking at iGav's screenshot, his Safari (and apparently many of yours) Safari is rendering the text xx-small, when I put it as x-small :\
You could always use point based sizes (such as 8pt) for your fonts instead.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Personally, I like minimalist designs, and I think your site looks pretty damn good. Font is no problem for me...course my eyes are young and fresh... :cool:

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
dornoforpyros said:
eh personally i find that a to be a little too minimalist. Not to bash you or nothing but I think it needs a frame of some kind even if it's just a very suble one.
I agree with this, but then I have absolutely no idea when it comes to style. Some kind of border might pull the eye to the content instead of feeling lost in the white expanse to the right.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I also like minimalist designs, avoiding images as much as possible and putting as much of the design burden on CSS as possible. I really like clayjohnannsen's site design, although I avoid Flash like the plague, unless I want to make interactive sites that Flash is designed for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.