Anyone else like OS X 10.10's design more than iOS 7's?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Mr. RPG, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Yosemite has a lot more transparency than iOS 7's (which was the only aspect I liked about the "minimalistic" design).

Yosemite is so much more beautiful compared to iOS 7 in that regard and I prefer the Helvectica font (is this in iOS 8?) and new icons in Yosemite as well.

2. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I can tell you one thing, the person who did the OS X icons did a hell of a better job. :)

3. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

+1! Benefit of hindsight though.

4. Mosi macrumors regular

I like iOS 7 but I love OS X 10.10. It is absolutely beautiful, everything from the font to the new icons.

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

If 10.10 (a desktop operating system) looked worse than iOS 7, I think Apple would be in serious trouble! Since that's not the case - all is well :D

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

TBO I'm not liking the look of 10.10. I suppose I'll get used to it, but it reminds too much of some of the cheesy Linux icons. I guess I'm stuck in my ways, I just can't help it. To me, 10.10 looks like a Tonka-Toy compared to 10.9 and earlier.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel I have it backwards, but 10.10 will be confined to VM for a long time for me. I'm not ready for the new look. I guess I need a shrink, but 10.9 suites me better.

7. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

As a person who was (and still is) not crazy about the design of iOS 7/8, I quite like the UI design of Yosemite a lot better. It's definitely a lot more refined and mature compared to iOS 7 last year so I guess it's say to say maybe Jony Ive is starting to get the hang of designing software.

I hope iOS 9 will look more like Yosemite for even better consistency.

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I hated the design of iOS 7, some of the icons looked unfinished to me.

I love the design of Yosemite though, the transparency is not too overdone and even though it's flatter, icons still have some depth to them.

I know which one of these icons I prefer for sure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Looking side by side, I say the Yosemite one is miles better. Thank God they didn't go all out flat like some people wanted them to.

10. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Definitely, I prefer the Yosemite Settings icon by far. The iOS 7 one looks bland by comparison.

11. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I hate hate hate the yoesmite icons. Especially Mail and Finder. They look so childish.
    On the other hand I never had a problem with iOS 7 icons :p

12. swindlenz macrumors member

You know what is childish? Calling the new icons childish.

They're icons. They serve a purpose, and these icons work perfectly fine for the purpose they need to fulfil.

13. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

I could really care less so long as it's not eye searingly horrendous, especially considering all icons and such are easily themeable on OSX.

14. oldmacs, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014

oldmacs macrumors 68040

The fact is that they took something which in my opinion looked fine and make them look horrific, and in my opinion childish. The childish thing is you not accepting my opinion.

Oh and also, The new design is one of the 'major' features that apple is touting, new icons being among the new design, so if they're just for serving a purpose, why were they redesigned?

15. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

While I disagree with them looking childish (although I can see where you are coming from), you have a point for above.

16. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

I would love to see a mockup of a possible future iOS Settings icon using the Yosemite version as the inspiration.

17. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

I have a feeling iOS 9 will take design cues from OSX.

18. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Not sure where you get childish from. To me, childish would be icons that looked like they were drawn in crayon or look like icons you'd see in a cartoon. I'll admit that some of the new icons seem boring to me, but there' nothing childish about them at all.

19. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Yosemite, considering it's preliminary stage, is awesome! Much more than I can say about iOS 8!

Running 10.10 as a daily driver now w/o any significant issues, and I def. welcome the new look!

20. ps3zocker macrumors regular

I think that would look beautiful.

Attached Files:

21. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

I love the overall look of Yosemite. I wish iOS 7/8 had this kind of 'in-between flatness' with subtle depth and texture done right (and easy to identify icons).

However, there is something off with the silver/metal tones in some of the icons. It looks like there is an odd blue-ish slate and dark tone in all icons that show silver/metal (System Preferences, Calendar, etc.). This color/tone reminds me of the cold, ugly color of 'SteelCase' filing cabinets and desks found in office cubes.

A more natural silvery metal tone would bring some warmth to the icons. While we are at it, the blue folder icon should be muted down a bit, and the contacts icon's brown color is also very dark and cold.

Not sure what was behind all these color choices. Muted, softer colors and natural tones in the default icons would be more inline with Yosemite's overall aesthetic.

22. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

These are perfect! I would literally tap that! Haha

But in all seriousness, send these to Jony and his team.

23. rpungello macrumors member

This.
    I seriously hope the iOS icons are eventually updated to reflect their OS X counterparts.

24. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Did you make those mockups yourself?

Those look incredible! iOS 8 or 9 better adopt them or something similar. Very much like.

25. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

They are all pretty much the same except for Safari, Messages, Settings