Anyone else looking forward to MyWi on a jail broken iPad 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by TriHFH, May 1, 2010.

1. TriHFH macrumors member

There is so much talk about using MiFi/MyWi to give 3G access to wifi only iPads.

With the impending release of the Spirit Jailbreak, I for one am excited to use MyWi on my iPad 3G to give my laptop Internet access wherever I am. For instance, i live in a very densely populated area, thus my cable internet connection is slow and has dropouts multiple times a day. Im actually looking forward to being able to use my iPads 3G connection on my home computer for the times that my normal internet connection does not suffice.

In my opinion, using MyWi on an iPad 3G is better than using MyWi on an iPhone, for multiple reasons. First of all, its not practical to always have MyWi running on your cell phone. It dramatically decreases battery life, and detracts from the phones primary function, that is, being a phone.

Secondly, the iPad has a truly unlimited data plan (no 5GB soft cap). When tethering through the iPad, i wont have to worry about exceeding the 5GB cap. Also, Since ATT doesn't officially allow this sort of "tethering," the iPad is more likely to pass under their radar, since it is more likely to consume a large amount of bandwidth than an iPhone is.

Anyways, i know other peoples opinions may vary, but im just putting in my $0.02 :cool:

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I'd like to see the 3G jailbreak correct the absurdity of 10mb download limits.

OTA wifi is how 3G SHOULD act and hopefully the jailbreak does it.

3. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Wouldn't mind this. I have $5/month Tmo EDGE on the iPhone - the 3G iPad data would be a nice access path for my laptop if I ever need it.

Jailbreak should solve all that...

4. rmatthewware macrumors 6502

Why does the iPad have to be jail broken to connect to MyWi? I mean, it's just like connecting to a WiFi signal, right? Or are you just one of those people who likes to feel edgy by doing things that aren't technically illegal.

As I understand, the iPad is an unlocked device. Any carrier that wants to offer service for it can, assuming they can run the hardware and keep up with 3G demand. I hear a lot of crap about ATT, but it seems they're the only ones capable of running an iPhone/iPad like device.

5. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

read again, the OP says he is going to use his ipad as the wifi spot for his lappy.

6. p-rice macrumors regular

I agree with the OP especially about the bandwidth cap. It's ridiculous how ATT advertises unlimited data for iphone but have a 5gb cap hidden somewhere in the TOS. Since the iPad data plan is truly unlimited, tethering would be much more useful for heavy usage on a laptop.

7. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

true, but ive gone well over 5gig in a month plenty of times. i think the soft cap is a myth

8. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Links to the talk???

Thanx

9. mogmios macrumors newbie

MyWi on iPad 3G promising but seriously broken.

Just tried installing MyWi on my iPad 3G. On the good side, sharing 3G to my laptop seemed to work fine. On the bad side it totally fscked up the UI of the entire system and I had to restore.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How do you know the iPad has a truly unlimited plan? And please don't tell me an AT&T rep told you. I want to see it in writing because I kind of think you're wrong.

Link to the talk about MyWi and tethering the wifi only iPads? Search this particular forum. There are at least 6 recently updated threads.