Anyone else lose Messages today?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arelunde, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

All of a sudden, I don't have Messages on my MBP 13, as of today. It's been there since I bought it, but now it's gone!! Anyone else have this happen or is it my own MBP's weirdness.

If it is local, how do I get it back??? I can't seem to find a download anywhere. :confused:

2. kdog679 macrumors member

Are you talking about the beta for messages for mountain lion? IIRC it was only for a short time, and the beta could possibly be over. I didn't use it, but that would be my guess.

3. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I still have mine. I don't think Apple will be so evil to remote uninstall an app. They would probably at least tell you to upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out.

4. Arelunde thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Yeah, well .... it appears Messages (beta, I presume) has been incorporated into the "new" iChat.

iChat apparently has video chats, "messages", and other things I haven't as yet figured out. It's icon is essentially the same as Messages, but light blue with a vid camera drawing on it.

My guess is the Messages (with the green balloon) is gone. In its place is iChat??? No clue at this point.

I DID get the update released today (but this was AFTER Messages went missing). Guess it's all a prep for OS Mtn Lion here and iOS6 elsewhere. Things seem to be a'changing... :rolleyes:

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

iMessage beta will stop functioning when ML is released.

6. Arelunde thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

8. Arelunde thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

So, where did you get the app? It's not on my MBP at all ... vanished.

9. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The app is still on my MBP....it didnt go anywhere. Apple didn't remove it from your system. The simply removed the download links from their website.

10. biohead macrumors 6502

Mine also disappeared...

Not sure when though, as I migrated from my 2008 Macbook to 2012 MBP13 through the time capsule yesterday - thats when I noticed the messages app is back to iChat, as it showed up on the Dock.

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

12. Arelunde thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Well, well, well. So Messages was indeed oh-so-quietly "done in" on Lion. It's almost spooky to have Apple capable of disabling an app you are using in good faith. Like a thief crept in during the night... But, since it WAS a beta, not surprising.

I didn't have an MBP before Messages beta was available, so I didn't realize it was originally part of the iChat app. So, finding it there now wasn't "new." It was, likely, the default location as in the past. The iChat thing is nowhere as convenient as Messages is/was.

I had the iPhone and iPad before getting the MBP 13. It surprised me how some things on the MBP parallel what you find on iDevices, but other things are totally not. Good thing I plan to upgrade to Mtn Lion. I expect much greater OS compatibility among MBP, iPad and iPhone with this in place - which I look forward to experiencing.

But, for now, I miss MBP Messages.

13. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

It was so broken in beta that it was unreliable and got to where it couldn't be used. I installed 10.8r4 and it is very stable and usable now. I uninstalled it from Lion because it simply did not work. (well it did for a few days but then it generated error messages on the iPhone and iPad saying the message was not delivered).