Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
My MBP was enroute from China to Japan and now shows an exception in Japan. I expect it was there but have not received any notification.

Had not seen the crash information until this evening.
Prayers to those that lost much more than a package.
Just got off the phone with FedEx....yes mine as on that plane :( I now have to cancel the order (reseller). The reseller was so late with my order (Jan 15th) that they even paid the extra air shipping for it. With my luck I should have just said nothing and it probably would have gotten here later instead of this.
I forgot to add my condolences to those who lost their loved ones.

KPin

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
I received an email from Apple last night.

Thank you for your recent purchase at the Apple Online Store.

Our records indicate one or more of the items in your order have
shipped. However, your shipment(s) were damaged in a carrier accident.

We have issued an expedited replacement for the affected item(s) and
are working with our carriers to ensure they are delivered as quickly
and safely as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

AkiraJub

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I just tracked my order on fedex and it literally just showed up.

Mar 25, 2009 11:38 AM | Shipment exception
SHANGHAI CN | Delay beyond our control

Mar 24, 2009 10:00 PM | At local FedEx facility
SHANGHAI CN

Mar 23, 2009 12:24 PM | Left FedEx origin facility
SHANGHAI CN

Mar 23, 2009 11:57 AMPicked upSHANGHAI CNPackage received after FedEx cutoff

Mar 23, 2009 2:30 AMShipment information sent to FedEx.

Some of you got notified by apple but I haven't so I'm assuming my macbook pro was also on that plane. Why haven't they contacted me yet? I guess I'll call tomorrow. Should I cancel my order? Does Apple have these at the Apple store? I got the new 17 uni. 2.93ghz 320gb 7200rpm. Or do they just carry the basic 2.66ghz, and have to wait for their shipment as well?

God bless the families of two pilots on that plane.

latempete

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Pennsylvania

SHANGHAI CN

SHANGHAI CN

Some of you got notified by apple but I haven't so I'm assuming my macbook pro was also on that plane. Why haven't they contacted me yet? I guess I'll call tomorrow. Should I cancel my order? Does Apple have these at the Apple store? I got the new 17 uni. 2.93ghz 320gb 7200rpm. Or do they just carry the basic 2.66ghz, and have to wait for their shipment as well?

The "Delay beyond our control" exception pertaining to the plane crash was in Japan. So it's probably something else. Maybe because of the volcano activity in Alaska?

La-vida227

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009

First, the apple store is just going to have the basic configurations in stock. Second, I wasn't notified by apple but my tracking number showed the message posted by others... I gave apple a call and they acknowledged that my package was on that flight.

crewrules101

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Shipping routes

When I ordered my MacBook Pro it took an odd route. It seems normal so that the company can pass all the items through customs and to their hubs for normal state-side delivery. I live in Palo Alto...

Here was the route that my laptop took:

MENLO PARK,
CA, US 01/26/2009 11:22 A.M. DELIVERY
01/26/2009 7:24 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
01/26/2009 7:20 A.M. DESTINATION SCAN
01/26/2009 2:15 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
OAKLAND,
CA, US 01/26/2009 1:45 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
OAKLAND,
CA, US 01/25/2009 12:56 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
ROCKFORD,
IL, US 01/24/2009 10:18 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
01/24/2009 12:43 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
LOUISVILLE,
KY, US 01/23/2009 11:35 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
01/23/2009 12:56 P.M. IMPORT SCAN
01/23/2009 12:12 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
SHANGHAI,
CN 01/23/2009 4:07 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
SHANGHAI,
CN 01/22/2009 2:03 A.M. THE SCHEDULED FLIGHT WAS CANCELED DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND UPS CONTROL
SHANGHAI,
CN 01/21/2009 6:47 P.M. EXPORT SCAN
01/21/2009 12:56 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
CN 01/21/2009 10:28 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I feel horrible for the families that lost loved ones in the crash and don't care about the computer. They already ordered a new one. The thing that actually promted this post is this was my 3rd replacement MBP. The first two had hardware problems and the third was the wrong model. It was matte and I ordered glossy. So the one Apple ordered today to replace the one lost will be my fourth replacement or my 5th MBP. I dunno. Maybe I am not meant to have one.
When you finally get your computer the way it is supposed to be, you'll appreciate it even more. That's my thoughts on it anyway.

La-vida227

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
It seems that my package is back on its way:

Mar 25, 2009 8:53 AM
Departed FedEx location
OAKLAND, CA
Mar 25, 2009 6:23 AM
Arrived at FedEx location
OAKLAND, CA
Mar 25, 2009 12:45 AM
Shipment exception
SENNAN-SHI JP

knwldge

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009

SHANGHAI CN

SHANGHAI CN

I have the same tracking information. I called Fedex International today and found out the original plane was waiting for the ash cloud to clear over Alaska, then when the plane was ready to take off, it developed a mechanical issue. Fedex told me that I would have my laptop by Tuesday at the latest, most likely Monday. I was suppose to have it tomorrow.

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
how can apple call their notebook green
when they have to fly all the way from china to USA?
disgusting.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
how can apple call their notebook green
when they have to fly all the way from china to USA?
disgusting.

Why are Apple products (or any brand products) made in places like China and not the US? The unemployment rate in the US right now is 8.1%. If you make computers here in the US, then that creates more jobs for Americans and in return should help our economy. What am I missing?

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Why are Apple products (or any brand products) made in places like China and not the US? The unemployment rate in the US right now is 8.1%. If you make computers here in the US, then that creates more jobs for Americans and in return should help our economy. What am I missing?

Because its cheaper for the companies to do it from china and abroad. Nothing beats cheap labor I suppose. Same with B&W speakers, the lower end models have all the great new technology and better material used since they moved their factories over to china.

I hear that B&W factories in china are exactly the same in quality and materials as the ones in Europe just that they use cheap labor so that they dont have to go cheap on the materials used to make the speakers. Sometimes its a good thing and other times its not. But I guess in Apple's case its not a good thing.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Because its cheaper for the companies to do it from china and abroad. Nothing beats cheap labor I suppose. Same with B&W speakers, the lower end models have all the great new technology and better material used since they moved their factories over to china.

I hear that B&W factories in china are exactly the same in quality and materials as the ones in Europe just that they use cheap labor so that they dont have to go cheap on the materials used to make the speakers. Sometimes its a good thing and other times its not. But I guess in Apple's case its not a good thing.

It's ashame that there are so many Americans struggling and unemployed and yet there are tons of jobs that could be had, they're just in China because it's cheap labor.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

Apple can't afford to produce in the U.S.:(

SouthMSMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not defending or advocating outsourcing but I understand why Apple and any company for that matter would build things oversees. Cost of labor is insane in the US over foreign countries. When you break down how much money they not only have to pay out in payroll taxes, workman's comp. insurance, and the fact that the workers would most likely be union and demand higher wages it doesn't make fiscal sense. Apple is charged with maximizing the investors money. The savings they make from having production overseas pays for the shipping costs many times over. Plus when you break down the people who are unemployed the percentage that are qualified enough to take the job wouldn't put a dent in the problem.

As far as them not being as green as they say because of the shipping from overseas that makes no sense. How would they be any more green if they built over here instead of overseas. What would happen if someone from china wanted a mac? Could they not get one because it would be harmful to the environment to ship it to them? How do you suggest Apple ship items? Should they build a fleet of electric, hybrid, hydrogen, solar powered planes and vehicles to deliver their products so they are green enough for you? They made the process for producing their products green, they can't do anymore.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
isnt half of china unemployed right now? something crazy like that. That is what happens when everything is manufactured in one place and then the economy goes to hell.

The fed ex flight was just a sad sad story. Man just a freak accident. that must've been a huge wind surge.

It is also chilling looking at the shipping details and between the two last times, two people lost their lives....

And the irony of this is i was wacthing cast away on TNT and the local news showed the footage as a preview of the news that will air after the movie..:(

when i ordered my macbook pro, it went from sactown to PDX. :)

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
What shipping speed did you choose? If you chose standard shipping, then Fedex would have done the cheapest shipping method for them oppose to the most efficient

Efficiency makes business cheaper. Businesses don't try to balance cost and efficiency, they maximize efficiency while minimizing cost.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I'm not defending or advocating outsourcing but I understand why Apple and any company for that matter would build things oversees. Cost of labor is insane in the US over foreign countries. When you break down how much money they not only have to pay out in payroll taxes, workman's comp. insurance, and the fact that the workers would most likely be union and demand higher wages it doesn't make fiscal sense. Apple is charged with maximizing the investors money. The savings they make from having production overseas pays for the shipping costs many times over. Plus when you break down the people who are unemployed the percentage that are qualified enough to take the job wouldn't put a dent in the problem.

As far as them not being as green as they say because of the shipping from overseas that makes no sense. How would they be any more green if they built over here instead of overseas. What would happen if someone from china wanted a mac? Could they not get one because it would be harmful to the environment to ship it to them? How do you suggest Apple ship items? Should they build a fleet of electric, hybrid, hydrogen, solar powered planes and vehicles to deliver their products so they are green enough for you? They made the process for producing their products green, they can't do anymore.

100% Agree, great response. It does suck but a perfect example of why to outsource = the auto industry. The automakers are feeling the drag of the union wages, and the union benefits. The vehicles have huge price tags not because of quality, it's because of unions/labor costs, now it's all crumbling before them. While no one can live on minimum wage, no company can pay union wages to manufacture products. Hopefully someone can figure out a solution to put back those jobs into the US economy.

pyroo

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007

awesome explanation...people need to remember that most business are out there for one reason, to make a profit....and to make the most profit, they would have to consider reducing the cost of producing their products

and i saw this plane crash on youtube yesterday, i had no idea that they were carrying apple products until i saw this thread, sad when people die doing their jobs

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004

Would you be willing to pay $3500 for a macbook pro if it were manufactured in the US? Or would you choose the chinese manufactured one for the current price? There you have it.

It all boils down to consumers - they love to buy a lot of things, and the cheaper an item is, the more likely they will buy it. Outsource bloody everything - consumers are happy, and manufacturers are happy.

Until the economy tanks, that is.

Terrible for the pilots - I am deathly scared of flying and I cringed when I watched that video.

smcrae

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
My original MBP was on the plane that crashed. Received an email on 3/23 that they would be expediting a replacement unit.

Update - my replacement shipped 3/28 - UPS is the carrier this time.
Expected delivery is Monday. Going to be a long weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.