Anyone else love CalDAV?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Clete2, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I am now using CalDAV to sync my phone to my Google Calendar. Previously, I had no application to sync my calendar with. Subsequently, when I restored my phone as a new phone (given directions to do so by Apple for a battery issue I was having), I lost all of my hundreds of past-present-future calendar appointments. So I decided to setup Google Calendar and CalDAV. I set it to manual syncing, so only when I open the Calendar app (why would I sync it every 30 minutes?). It's amazing. Little drain on the battery and a great way for me to keep up with my appointments.

Anyone else use CalDAV? Exchange users can leave now. :p

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm really looking forward to using CalDAV since Exchange with my Google calendar isn't an option due to my work email using Exchange. Are you able to set it to use multiple calendars or only your primary calendar? If so, does it show each calendar as a different color?

3. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Only primary with Google Calendar, I think -- using CalDAV, not Exchange.

4. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I want to sync my Google Calendar w my iPhone. Is this CalDAV the way to go. Where do I find it?? What is it?/
    Thanks.
    Frank

5. ebika macrumors 6502

I keep all my calendar info in accounts accessed through CalDAV with iCal. I access my work Zimbra calendar, personal gcal calendar and shared family gcal calendar using caldav in ical. I can't wait for this on the 3.0 firmware. Readonly syncing of my caldav accounts to my iPhone through iTunes is better than nothing (what we have now) but being able to add/update/delete from the phone will be huge.

6. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Search for it on Google Calendar's website. It's a calendar syncing protocol. When you add an event on your phone, it pushes that event to your Google Calendar and vice versa. You can also edit/delete events and have it do the same thing.

7. jjprusk macrumors member

Anyone else love CalDAV?

CalDAV is a standard protocol (RFC 4791) and you can read more about is here http://caldav.calconnect.org/ . It has been a long time coming, but slowly but surely this will be the mechanism for synchronizing calendars. There are many products that now support CalDAV, commercial and open source. The best thing about CalDAV is that it is open and frees everyone from M$ Exchange proprietary lockin. You can have multiple calendars being synchronized, concurrent subscribe / publish, and everything "plays" together. iCal has supported CalDAV since Leopard and many servers support CalDAV, including google, Kerio, Scalix, Zimbra, Communigate, OSX Server, etc. I've been using CalDAV for a while and it works very well. I've been waiting for the iPhone to support it so that I don't have to use the "Exchange" support - although I use a Kerio server running on Linux so there's no real "Exchange" or Windoze in the picture (ie, everything runs well without crashing, BSOD, viruses, etc.).