Anyone else love the new notebooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zorn, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

All I see is bitching about something ridiculous like the glossy screen, when this has been one of the biggest improvements in the Macbooks in quite some time. I fell asleep in February when they had the last "update", but this time Apple has put in faster CPUs, DDR3 memory, much better graphics along with hybrid graphics system, thinner casing and better screens.

I suppose it takes me back to when the MBP was introduced, at much higher performance, and all anyone could ever talk about was how there was no PCMCIA slot.

2. JWest macrumors 6502

The reason everyone is upset is not just about the glossy display.

- Glossy display on a "pro" notebook, when all the real "pros" want matte? Bad idea.
    - Less ports (though they only took away the FW400), when there should have been more. Give us ExpressCard/54 like every other notebook.
    - Only a slight distinction between the pro and consumer lines, even though the MBP still costs a premium.

There's more, but I'm too lazy to think of 'em. :p

3. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I like them. Now I'm just trying to get the money to order one.

4. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

5. Logos327 macrumors 6502

- While I am not a pro, I love the glossy screen. Everything looks so much richer. Again I am not a pro but if more and more companies are going towards glossy (at least as options) I don't understand why some pros wouldn't want to design whatever on a glossy screen if more and more people will be viewing it on a glossy screen. Of course this doesn't account for the art being seen on billboards, posters, etc.

- Sure dongles can be annoying but it is not like all of peoples FW 400 products are now useless.

- This is stupid. Sure they look the same but that $700 you are paying for gives you more pro-features like dedicated graphics, better processors, bigger and faster hard drives, bigger screens, and more ports, etc. This is argument is for the hardcore "pro" apple fan boy. Who the hell cares? Buy your computer and enjoy it. Is it still overpriced? Yes. Is the $700 worth it? Yes.

Please understand I am not responding to the poster of these complaints but the complaints themselves.

6. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I think they're great. I haven't tried out the screen or keyboard in person, so I'm optimistic that it isn't as bad as I might imagine. My wife's laptop has a glossy screen, but that is just some crappy shiny plastic on a cheapo Gateway, not glass like the new MacBooks.

If I was ready to upgrade, I wouldn't think twice. This is the most significant notebook update since the Intel switch.

8. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

i think they're great. too bad there's nothing wrong with my computers because i would love a new macbook. my powerbook is still going strong.

9. Kaliemon macrumors member

I love them. I saved up the entire summer to be able to upgrade this fall, and I wasted no time placing my order :D

Hopefully what was said about quality control will be true, unlike the first MBP, and I am speaking from experience.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When someone makes a matte screen cover to stick onto the new MBP screen, I'll love the new MBP.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

12. Ryffie macrumors member

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

They look great, but in typical Apple fashion they consumer-ized the whole bloody thing.

No FW400 or Dual 800
    No dual HDD (but at least it's user replaceable)
    No Matte screen but whatever
    Cheap keyboard, but whatever, I'll get used to it.
    No Blu-Ray at all... moving over to Adobe Premier soon!

Kinda glad I got the Penryn for sure now, but definitely love the things that are new about the MBP, not so much the missing parts and pieces.

And I was really hoping for new H-IPS displays from Apple that have the same cases as the current model.

14. FilipMil macrumors member

the more i look at them, the more they look better and better!

i just ordered the new 15.4 macbook pro, 2.8 ghz with 4 gb ram, gonna be sickkk 512 mb nvidia, i cant wait

15. bombboy macrumors regular

bombboy

16. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

i love them everyone else is being a jerk i just copped a 15inch MBP

17. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well, I'm a bit bummed by the downgrade to one FW port and the glossy-only display, as well as only a 9600M (was hoping to see a 9650) but I still bought one. Also a bit bummed about a 4gb ram ceiling.

I had a BlackBook and I got used to the chiclet keyboard and glossy display, I can live.

18. agbot macrumors regular

Same here. I'm a bit bummed and a bit underwhelmed with the new models, but I'm still going to order one and new toys are always fun. :) I'm hoping Amazon will post them soon so I can save tax (and they usually provide free shipping), but it's hard to wait for new toys so I may end up paying a visit to the local Apple Store.

19. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

I'm actually quite a bit excited about the new macbook pro. I've always liked glossy, my current penryn mbp is glossy. I love the trackpad.. its big.. its glass.. its everything that the current penryn trackpad is lacking (which is a bit too small for multitouch).. I can adapt to the bezel screen and the black keyboards.. I can imagine the black keyboard to look real nice with the black Incase Hardshell. I like that its thinner and more rounded than the current square look.
    Though i'm not sure if its great enough for me to upgrade. It depends on how much I can sell my current penryn mbp for..

20. avalys macrumors 6502

I love it.

I don't understand why Apple gives people so much to whine about, though. The glossy-only display, I can understand - the current design would look bad with a matte screen - but how hard is it to keep one (or two) Firewire ports around?

They should have dumped the Ethernet port on the MB and just made people buy a dongle if they wanted to hardwire their laptop. Makes no sense.

21. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

22. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I do! :cool: :apple: :cool:

Ordered a maxxed-out MBPro to replace this, bought exactly five years ago.

The new one is gonna run rings around the old!