Anyone else LOVING the wait for push?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by App1€, Oct 22, 2008.

1. App1€ macrumors regular

For a while here in October I had forgotten we were promised push in September. Recently I've remembered and I just realized I love Apple even more now. Yeah sure they missed a deadline, and yeah maybe I am an Apple fanboy (even though I'm typing this from a HP computer). This wait though just showed me that Apple is getting back to where they belong. Going back to "It Just Works." You can quote me right now as I say Push will be as close to perfect as possible. It will come how 2.0 should have, and have very few flaws. I'd say its a good possibility Jobs WON'T let another 2.0 fiasco happen which is why we sit here on October 22nd without push.

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

I think your absolutely right. I also think (and hope) that Apple is returning to one of its major core values.

3. mrcharlie91 macrumors member

haha

I see why Apple's stock went down so rapidly compared to those Microsoft

and Google. They 'promised' their trustful fanboys push will be updated latest

in september. It's end of October now , no sign of push and G1 just came out

with great support.

Iam reconsiderig getting iPhone 3G.:mad:

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I actually rarely use either of my two 3G phones now. I have moved on to a Blackberry. Emails arrive with no delays. Gonna keep one of the iPhones activated though but it's mostly gonna be used as an iPod.

I was such a big Apple fan over the past year that I had bought 3 1st generation iPhones, 2 3G white iPhones, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Black MacBook and an iMac. I now only have the iMac, Mac Pro and the two 3G phones. The laptops were replaced with HPs. I still love my Macs but over the last year, I have learned that all computer manufacturers are really equal, Apple included. Apple is no better than HP but those two may be superior to Dell.

5. markgamber macrumors 6502

Eh, I don't really care about push. Beejive did it right on their own while Apple still putters around...hoping their stock goes back up or whatever it is they do. Whatever, I tossed it on the shelf and put the sim back in my Tilt so I can use Slingplayer again.

I did consider a G1 but there's no 3G around here via T-Mobile and no Slingplayer or Orb for that phone either. But it is an interesting phone and T-Mobile is a magnitude better at customer service and pricing than AT&T will ever be.

6. silversx macrumors regular

what i really want and i'm sure most here do too is BACKGROUND PUSH!!!

the ability to run an im app in the background while doing other things WITHOUT jailbreaking would be nice..:eek:

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I believe that is the plan with push. :rolleyes:

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If quality is the reason for the delay, I can deal with it. I don't even know how much I would use it. I don't think AT&T's e-mail does it, and I hardly use Gmail. I think other apps could add the feature in, and then I'd welcome it (RSS, AIM, Weatherbug).

Basic deal is let's not have some big, new feature that might work when we can just wait and actually have it work.

9. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Can I assume this thread is about Push notifications and NOT Push emails?

I wish Push Emails would come for the iPhone sure enough.

Of course, it won't, because then Apple would lose their butts on Mobile Me subscriptions, but I digress.

It is the ONLY reason I am considering jumping to an Android phone if AT&T ever gets one.

10. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Push e-mail has been here since the 3G iPhone came out...

I use it daily with push from both MobileMe and Microsoft Exchange, it works great.

11. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

you, my friend, have too much money.

And I'm sorry, but HP aren't even CLOSE to equal to Apple, even with Apple's recent issues.

12. me2000 macrumors 6502

Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying I LOVE waiting for a feature that was promised a couple months ago... but I don't mind if they're using this time to perfect it.

13. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Right.

But I meant push for any email, not just some email I have to pay an extra $100 a year for when so many offer it for free.

I think that is the draw to Android.

Folks like me who have been using GMail for a long time and want push for it without having to forward to MobileMe and paying 100 year to do so.

14. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Some of the responses in this thread are fundamentally flawed. Push notifications have nothing to do with push email. The iPhone HAS push email, it's had it since release, and the only reason there is no Gmail push email (as was brought up) is because Google hasn't enabled it for the iPhone.

Edit: for those who don't understand, here are some examples of a push notification (what we're waiting for):

- You get a notification from the Facebook app to say that someone wants to be your friend.
    - Someone wants to chat on AIM app.

In each case, the iPhone will push the notification to the springboard, and make one of those little red dots to signify that something has happened in one of the above listed 3rd party applications, effectively pushing the data to you. It has NOTHING to do with email, and considering the iPhone already HAS push email, I don't know why it even came up.

15. krayziekray macrumors 6502

Not trying to be funny/awkward, but i think Apple should be working on getting push email to work properly before trying to sort out app push.

I have been having a problem with emails being pushed down to my Yahoo! account for almost three weeks now. Before that it seemed to work, however, it would require me to restart the iPhone atleast twice a day.

Apple .... sort this out.

16. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Yahoo push has never worked for me since a year and a half ago :)

17. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

No, it's not.

18. Scallywag macrumors regular

19. Pared macrumors 65816

I have been forwarding my Gmail to Yahoo without any problems. I get my emails in a Yahoo account dedicated SOLELY for the purpose of gmail redirection.

Works flawlessly. I love it. The only downside is you can't reply to the Gmail account without paying for Yahoo Plus, I believe.