Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvoXOhio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
Yesterday a friend sent me 4 iMessages from her iPhone and I never got them. I sent her 2 that she never got. Later in the day we both got new ones from each other, but the missing ones never showed up. We sent each other screenshots of each others phones, so we know we're not making it up or did something wrong.

I called Apple and got the usual "hard reset both of your phones." They won't even open up a ticket for the iMessages team unless we both hard reset it and then experience it again.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. I just recently moved from Android to iPhone, and one of the biggest reasons was because my Android phone would randomly not receive texts or people would miss mine. Now I've switched to an iPhone, switched carriers (which is moot since we're both iPhone users the carrier isn't even involved) and now it's happening again.

wolfsbane58

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Meridian, ID
Yup. I've had this problem myself, and have had friends and family complain about this behavior in iMessage. It appears to have started with IOS 8. We originally thought that it had to do with IOS on older phones, but it doesn't appear to be isolated to older phones. It appears to be an issue with IOS itself. And it is inconsistent. It comes and goes.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I have been experiencing frequent iMessage send failures on iPhone 5 running 8.1. However in my case the progress bar just hangs and I always have to click send as text message. This is sending iMessages with no attachments, simply text. Happens regardless of wifi or LTE. Also I can receive iMessages from same people, just stubbornly sits when I reply.

Performed a reboot to no avail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.