Anyone else missing the welcome videos?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by emir, Jan 16, 2014.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Arguably, this version of OS X (Mavericks) is the best so far (second being Snow Leopard) but is there anyone else missing the welcome videos when you launched an OS X machine for the first time?

You can of course go; how often do you reinstall OS X from scratch or buy a new one to see the welcome video but that was a nice, welcoming touch. It was a visual representation, a proof, of the colourful world of the Mac when people were switching from pc in vast amounts.

There is still the set up screen but a short welcome video would be great. I mean, why did they even discontinue it?

p.s. I think the best welcome screen was Snow Leopard.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I enjoyed it also, but I suspect Apple pulled them when they went to this whole Internet recovery download business for OS installs. That video would just make the OS download larger. Just my guess.

3. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

I don't think Apple, a company that supports downloadable content more than any other type of storage (DVD, Blu-ray etc...) would care about the lack of bandwidth people have when they're downloading their OS, especially about a video that is 40 seconds long that would only take a hundred megs at most.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I was just offering my opinion why Apple dropped it. I'm not particularly interest in a debate on the topic.

5. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

I was just saying that for the sake of the argument. Thanks for your opinion though.