Anyone else mod their OtterBox defender?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JrFreak, Aug 4, 2009.

1. JrFreak macrumors 6502a

JrFreak

I love the case, but there are a few things I do not like...

1) The protective screen... doesn't stay completely flat on the glass surface. Has a 'watermark' look to it. I removed it and put a Zagg screen on it instead and it looks great.

2) The white screens over the ear and speaker holes. I can hear people much better and hear my music much better without them. I know I loose some of the water resistance, but I don't plan on dropping it in water soon.

3) The hard case mold design in the recharger plug area. It is not large enough for the China made chargers. I had to carefully use a dremmel to open it up. It doesn't need to be wider, just have to make the corners more square.

Other than that, a super great case. I've dropped my iphone 3 or 4 times on to a solid floor and it's perfectly fine.

2. jacobgaul macrumors regular

how many of the same otterbox threads are people going to create

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I've never seen an Otterbox thread that was specifically started for the purpose of modding it. If you don't like it, don't open the thread.

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

The only two things I've done are to cut away the screen protector and remove the paper cover over the mic hole. If I had the tools to do it cleanly I would consider removing a small amount of thickness from the hard plastic circle around the Apple logo simply because it touches the table more than I would like when setting the phone face up. I wish they would have just used a solid back.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Just trying to catch up with the incase threads

6. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    I'm a Modder...but....

i bought a handful of the "chinese" cords myself for my ipod touch which now work with the 3gs....

On the defender I was tempted to open up the USB connection but just couldn't get myself to start cuttin..... I think the fit and finish of the defender was to nice to mod.... so I'm in search of a handful of usb cords that will fit like the stock apple one does without the apple price... i did a thread last week and someone gave me this link : but i'm waiting for them to get back in stock:
    theses have the "stock" size so they should fit with the defender on:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083101&p_id=3453&seq=1&format=2

7. JrFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

JrFreak

My thoughts exactly...

Thanks for the link. Can their prices really be that low? Makes me think China made stuff...

8. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    heck ya they've got to be Chinese!! LOL... for that price I'm buying a batch of them though....

9. reefer1 macrumors newbie

lanyard thread

I have an autisyic son that uses the Itouch to watch his favorite videos. the problem is that the defender case does not have a place to attach a lanyard so that he cant drop it. any ideas on how to add hardware to the case to hang a lanyard to it?

10. ihonda macrumors 68000

11. reefer1 macrumors newbie

sorry autistic.
    I also gave thought to painting the hard shell a bright color incase he dropped it easier to see.

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

http://www.iskin.com/store/products_access.tpl

What about one of these adjustable lanyards from iSkin? It plugs into the dock port. they used to include them with the Duo cases for the nano's.

13. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Good thread idea - I like it. Got any pics of your handywork? I too have thought about removing the screen.

14. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Has anyone tried using the otterbox with a full body skin on it? I'm thinking about getting this case to use when snowboarding season comes around. If you got it to fit, did you have to make any modifications to the case?

15. lonnielove macrumors regular

Make sure you let it dry for 48 hours or you will have cosmetic issues with the full body skin. Bubbles and indentation from the otter box shell on the skin.

16. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Great, thank you! I am currently using just a skin for everyday use. I want to put on a case over it when I go into higher risk places, which is what this Otterbox is going to do for me.