Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I think people are plenty happy. It's just that no one is surprised anymore. These events used to be awesome. Now it's just "I saw this 3 months ago online." :cool:
Yeah, it's just a Louis CK quote... but everyone's all "the 5C is lame" and "Apple's lost its edge" and yada yada...

I mean, it's a freakin' phone. And it's pretty cool. My 4S (which I got when it was released) still amazes me, and now this one (5S, specifically) -- and lookeee heere, my contract is just about up!

Pretty cool stuff.

But I'd reiterate the post way up that said, essentially, "if you want to be surprised, don't follow the rumors."

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I was slightly excited...now I'm slightly disappointed.

Glad fingerprint is stored in the A7 but it doesn't look like a waterproof case will work with it unless you are willing to give up fingerprint scanning.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I was slightly excited...now I'm slightly disappointed.

Glad fingerprint is stored in the A7 but it doesn't look like a waterproof case will work with it unless you are willing to give up fingerprint scanning.

I didnt even think of this.

Hexaea

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Chicago
Not like anything is bad with the 5S, but I am certainly not surprised or impressed. I'll probably still get it. ;)

I assume they're saving the real upgrades for the iPhone 6.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
To be honest smartphones have reached the stage that there isnt much to add but just to improve.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
What excites people is innovation. A fingerprint sensor has been done before (while in a different way).

The reason Apple is no longer the worlds most used smartphone OS (leave the US for a minute and you'll see, the rest of the world ditched Apple for Android 2 years ago), is because Android (and Samsung and Moto and Google) continue to excite.

Eye-tracking feature, now that's something nobody had seen coming.

NFC, we saw it coming and expected it, but the inclusion brought some exciting apps that people were wowed by.

If you're wowed by today's announcement, kudos, you're easy to please. But for those of us who love cutting-edge technology (not just saying we have the most current release), this phone doesn't do it.

Yeah I'll upgrade, but without 128gb, without a bigger screen, without a longer battery, I can't honestly imagine the thing will keep my interest for a year until the next update.... especially with what Samsung has and is likely going to release in the spring... Apple just doesn't excite me anymore.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
love the fingerprint sensor - i think that alone will drive a lot of people to buy the 5S.

The best thing for me was the 120 fps video capture though, id buy the phone JUST for that feature alone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Well $550 is just ridiculous. It should have been $450 max.

I agree! I'm looking to upgrade from my 4S and was considering the 5S and if I wasn't impressed with then get the 5C off contract. But 100 dollars, no thanks. Another year with the 4S here I come.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Sorry, but the 5S pretty much boils down to "More convenient security." It's always been hard to get people excited about that, and it's going to continue to be considering Apple themselves said most people don't bother to use a pass code. In other words, people don't care about security. Also, the knee-jerk response is going to be "Why would I want the NSA to have access to my finger prints?"

Honestly, I'm not that excited either. It doesn't have nearly the same level of game changing potential that Siri seemed to have when it was first announced, and we've all seen what a letdown that's been. This is just the latest "here's the new shiny" that every manufacturer does every year. That's great and all, but I think I would rather save $100 and go with the 5C.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
considering pretty much every detail about both phones was already leaked and known for the past few months there isn't much new they could wow people with who have been paying attention, other than price, but only $100 less for the 5c is nothing to get excited about.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Dude, I am so excited... Its got the same sweet screen, the same bad a** size and shape, and the same cool icon loaded screens. Now its 2X as fast, can you believe that..... :apple:

OH also my favorite feature, Now the NSA knows its you holding your phone (finger print), in what position you are standing and exactly what you are doing, ie what direction you are moving and what "contextual situation" the phone may be in (going to a political rally, recording video of police brutality, or maybe a concert you paid to go to...) that way they can shut your camera off before you get anything good if they want, oh and as apple said "they" dont keep that data on their servers, but we all know the NSA does...:cool:

joecartoon22

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
with all these new 64 bit apps, the focus on advance gaming, and media (photography/slo-mo video/etc), why couldn't we get a 128 gb iphone. i know they are pushing the cloud but the apps and local media alone is eating up a lot of storage

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Ok I get the bigger screen crowd. But really, what more do folks really need their phones to do that would be so revolutionary? I guess to me, in the end it's still a phone. Maybe Apples next revolutionary product has nothing to do with a phone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.