Anyone else not buying the next 4.7' iPhone unless it gets a RAM bump?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icanhazapple, Aug 17, 2016.

1. icanhazapple macrumors 6502

I'm good with my 6S until I see another bump in RAM. The camera I have now is sufficient - good enough pictures and 4K video. I used to upgrade to the new iPhone every year, but now I'm waiting until we get the refresh for what really matters - the hardware.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

What is it you expect to see from additional ram?

3. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

2GB will be fine. I've got the Note 4 and Apple always does a better job of ram management with the phones.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

It really matters to…you. And those it matters to.

It doesn't matter to me. I was fine with my 6+'s 1GB ram. I have the 6s+ now, but hardware matters far less to me than the look of the phone.

Now. if Apple chose to get rid of the fugly, then I might consider buying - but it's not RAM that's holding me back. Not even close.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I will be purchasing the iPhone 7 4.7 either way, with 2GB or 3GB of Ram. I have been pleased with the performance of my 6S.

6. AppleFan91, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016

AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Honestly, I'm not buying it regardless. It's definitely my preferred size, but with the plus having a dual camera, much better battery life, a full-HD screen, as well as supposedly 3GB of Ram, I will be going back to the plus and just dealing with the size.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68030

The 4.7 screen is HD.... Slightly higher than 720p. The 5.5 is a full HD screen or 1080p..... Just saying

8. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Meant full HD

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I generally get a new iPhone around the time that they bump the RAM, Andy keep it for a few years. I went original --> 3GS --> 5 --> SE, so I'm good for a few years :)

10. cynics macrumors G4

I haven't noticed any ill effects from lack of RAM on my 6S so it will not affect my buying decision.

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

The 6s/6s+ consistently dominates in speed tests and processor benchmarks...and you're concerned about RAM? o_O

12. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

2 gb is more than adequate right now and almost definitely until next year

13. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

CPU Speed =/= RAM. You can have a super fast processor, with pitiful amounts of RAM (iPhone 6).

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I not getting married unless I get a ram bump.

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If you're holding out for >2gb RAM in the 4.7" size, I think you might have to wait till 2018.

2gb is fine...this is Apple we're talking about.

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I'm using a 6 and having no problems at all with 1GB of RAM, so the next iPhone I buy will have at least double the RAM I'm used to. I don't do much multitasking on my phone so RAM has never been an issue.

So, no, whether I buy an iPhone 7 will have nothing to do with if it has even more RAM. In fact, I very much doubt that it will have more than 2GB.

17. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Fair enough. Exclude my comment about benchmarks and my point still stands. The 6s/6s+ is almost a year old and is still a top performer against phones much younger with twice the RAM.

A RAM upgrade is the last thing anyone should be worrying about in the iPhone 7.

18. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

If your 6S works fine now, then why buy a new phone regardless of what new features the iPhone 7 brings to the table. Use it until it drops dead and buy a new phone then.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

RAM not that important to me. If it has what the 6S+ has I will be happy and be buying the 7+ day of introduction.

20. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Looks like the OP hit and run. Probably saw all the post saying that 2 GB of RAM is good enough, then he left.

21. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Needs RAM and a screen resolution bump. I've already purchased the Note 7, but I am hoping for a big year in 2017 for Apple and then I will be back to the iPhone. First time, im gone since the original, but man I am tired of the 6 design and the 1970 bezels.

22. bufffilm, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

But you're in the 5.5" market which is a different animal. There we will probably see a ram bump...if not in Sept, most definitely in 2017.

OP is asking about the 4.7" model. There's a possibility of it happening in 2017 esp if oled with resolution bump, but no guarantee. By 2018...definitely.

23. icanhazapple thread starter macrumors 6502

I see quite a few are perplexed that RAM of all things is being considered as a primary feature - for me, I'm using quite a few apps simultaneously. Yes, I try to close apps out every few days or so. But the overall responsiveness between switching tasks and navigating through the device is largely dictated by free memory, which for now, is adequate.

CPU advances in iPhone 7 will obviously help with this. But I submit that the biggest performance improvements come through RAM update cycles. At least, that's been my experience. Within the first six months of owning the iPhone 6, I began to notice things were pretty slow. That hasn't been the case for my 6S.

24. RedOrchestra Suspended

I've never had a RAM "problem" on either my iPhone or iPad - Can you give us a sense of what the make-up is of ALL those simultaneous Apps that are causing the drag?

25. bhayes444, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016

bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I'm not the OP, but when I had the 6+ I had issues keeping my music or podcast app running with 2-3 tabs in safari; they were tech sites and content heavy. It wasn't the stock music app so I guess iOS gave it lower priority than safari tabs??? I would open it, while it was playing music, and the app would reload causing the music to stop. It might not be RAM per se, but I haven't had that issue on my 6s nor on my Air 2. I don't have the 6+ anymore, but there are really only a few key differences between it and the two devices I use now that have none of the issues. The 6s runs an A9 processor with 2GB of RAM on ios9, while the Air 2 is a tablet running an A8X with 2GB of RAM. There's really no fair way for me to test it as I don't have the 6+ anymore and there are those key differences listed above that could have contributed to the different behavior I've noticed. I went with the common piece between them (RAM) for an easy conclusion as to what made my problem disappear. Not scientific or through, but good enough for me.