Anyone else not care about a thinner phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by busterbluth, Jun 6, 2014.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Just read an article that Apple might ditch headphone jack and just use lightning connector to make iphone thinner. It made me think, why does anyone need a thinner iphone. I have never picked up my 5 and thought that I want a thinner phone. I have however, wished my phone would last past 3 pm and not have to constantly worry about how am I going to call an uber at midnight cause my phone is going to die.

I get that thinner is better, but am I alone in thinking that I would take the same thickness with a longer battery life?

2. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

No credible source has said the iPhone 6 will ditch the headphone port.

As for a thinner phone, I am over it. Apple has a habit of making things thinner for no real purpose and not improving battery life. I have never heard anyone complain about the thickness of their iPhone 5/5s, or even 4/4s for that matter. But I hear people complain about battery life all the time.

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Jobs says how do people know what they want until you show it to them. Perhaps you don't know that you would be happier with a thinner phone without a headphone jack :D

That aside.. I doubt they are ditching the jack just yet, especially after acquiring beats.

4. busterbluth thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think they will get rid of the jack either but most leaks have pointed to a slightly thinner phone. I just wish apple would keep the same thickness and give us a bigger battery. But they won't, and it doesn't matter because they will sell boatloads of them.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I personally do like thinner, but given a choice I prefer having my headphone jack standard tyvm. Don't get me wrong, Im still very much looking forward to the thinner 5.5" version!

I for one never have battery problems, my iPhone 5 lasts me 2 days on a single charge.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

The 5S is thin and light enough. Can you imagine if they're able to make it as thin as a dime. It would be too difficult to grasp and use without it slipping.

7. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Don't really give a crap...thinner...who cares. :eek:

8. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Don't believe the no 3.5mm jack rumor but I don't think the iPhone needs to be any thinner. The 5S is already borderline uncomfortable for me to hold. If anything, I'd think it would be nice to have a curved, pebble like back much like the Moto X, which is roughly the same size as the iPhone 5. Just a larger screen in the same footprint.

9. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

This is true and knowing apple they'll go from 'up to 10 hours talk time' to '12 hours talk time' and internet browsing from 'up to 10 hours on lte' to 'up to 12 hours on lte' (even though no one gets this type of usage in real world situations) that's what they consider a battery upgrade :rolleyes:

10. duebex macrumors newbie

I would hate the iPhone 6 to get thinner. Everyone wants more battery life and apple can give it to us.

11. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

But these guys with the supposed inside knowledge, what are they smoking? As if Apple will abandon the 3.5mm jack even before releasing a lightning headphone to the public. In 2 maybe 3 iPhone cycles after it's shown that lightning headphones are durable enough at the connector end before the switch occurs.

12. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

I'm hopping the 6 is basically a clone of the iPod 5th gen.......

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Much thinner and it'll be too easy to bend, especially if it keeps getting longer/wider.

It's basic engineering.

14. drober30 macrumors 6502a

The only reason thinner would be better is after putting on a good protective case then the phone would be a good size.

Not to thin/thick

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Good point.

16. 617aircav Suspended

I hope they maintain the current thickness and improve battery life by 40 percent.

17. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I didn't want a thinner phone when I bought a 5 and a 5s buy I had to use a 4s for a few weeks and I didn't like the chunkyness.

Apple design products we don't need but when we buy them we love them

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

If the phone is bigger (which I don't necessarily want) then thinner helps with pocketability. Especially when I'm trying I cram it in with my wallet.

19. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

They can make it thinner and improve battery use, by using an IGZO screen they'll save so much battery, about 30-40% alone.

20. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

I want thicker. 5c or 4/4s thickness would be great!

21. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Y would you want thicker.

22. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

the 5c is the most comfortable iPhone to hold in my opinion. the 3gs was awesome because of its shape/thickness.

23. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

A thinner iPhone means a thinner battery which means Apple is not doing much to on battery life other than shafting consumers . . . AGAIN. Its time they put a real battery in the phone and stop the Fisher Price crap.

24. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Apple concentrate on thinnest rather than battery life because nobody ever said "OMG! It's got such a sweet battery, I'm buying it!!!"

Thinness is a selling point.

But anyway, I don't think they'll be able to go lower than they're right now. Camera module would not allow that.

25. cynics macrumors G4

I feel battery life would be a bigger seller then thinness.

Given the choice, same thickness with much better battery or thinner with current battery life....that's a no brainer for me. Motorola Razr vs Razr Maxx, main selling points of both were thinness vs battery life and the Maxx trumped it.