Anyone else not like the new app-switcher/multitasking?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TH55, Feb 10, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

It's horrible! The old app switcher worked beautifully. The new one they keep sliding around you literally have to stop them with your thumb. Is there a tweak to change it?

2. deluxeshredder, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

No (if your device isn't jailbroken).

I think both app switchers are horrible compared to Android's one.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

What if it is jailbroken?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There is a LOT of information here if you search and take the time to read it.

I mean seriously, how many questions do you need to post every day?

5. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I think given another year or so and Apple will get it right. They seem to be a bit slow sorting out some aspects of their OS.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Sorry, I do try to search before I post.

----------

Were there a lot of complaints about it?

7. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

They just want to be absolutely sure you hate it before the change.:D

8. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Yeah I've noticed this person posts a lot of threads complaining about every little thing and wants everything done for him/her.

----------

There is a tweak called ClassicSwitcher.

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the tweak, works great. Did a lot of ppl dislike the new app switcher?

As for my threads, sorry if I seem whiny, you have to admit though that there are a lot of unnecessary flaws.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

A lot if it is personal preference. Apple doesn't try to design things to make everyone happy, they typically pick a direction and stick with it. If you hate it, you hate it. There isn't a lot that can be done about it. I guess I just don't see all of the flaws that you do.

And for what it's worth, I think the new App switcher is great. It reminds me of the Android JB app switcher, which works great!

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

What I don't like about it is how the icons keep side scrolling and you have to stop it, there's no control.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

People hate change. What many claim are flaws, I just see as change. I genuinely like a lot of the changes. The old app switcher was borderline useless to me. Killing apps (which I only often do when they are using location based services) are much easier/faster. Paging through apps is nicer because I actually see what i was doing in the app rather than just an icon. I would like to see MORE of these pages at one time, maybe have some overlapping (think flipping pages of a book rapidly) or something, but it's not a terrible first attempt.

I guess I would have to hear what other things you consider flaws. But to me a flaw is something like iRadio causing your entire phone to crash and reboot (this happens to me almost daily, especially at the gym).

13. Smartass macrumors 6502a

this.

If the list is moving just a tiniest bit, you wont be able to close the app. Annoying and stupid.

14. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you, yes. Extremely annoying.

15. terrywfoster macrumors regular

I hate it.

16. mach, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

mach macrumors regular

This really annoyed me too, but there is a way around it.

If you scroll across the icons at the bottom of the screen (instead of the screen thumbnails in the middle), it scrolls faster, but you also don't have to wait for their inertia to stop before you can tap into them. A little less accuracy, but much faster. I always use it this way now. I'll make a little video demonstrating if you guys want.

Attached Files:

17. Altis macrumors 68020

Agreed. And it takes forever to finally reach a resting state.

It'd be nice if the screenshots it shows of the app were up to date, too.

18. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Yep. The new switcher is in fact more flexible than before. Either scroll with the icons or with the screenshots. Scrolling with the icons is pretty much the same as iOS6 only that we no longer have to tap and hold before we can close an app. I think it is actually an improvement and an expansion of functionality.

----------

I also noticed how OP starts so many threads, about every little thing. I think that the iPhone is just not the right choice for OP, which is fine. Unless he hates other phones even more, if that is possible.

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, the iPhone is still by far the best option. It just has lots of design flaws. I don't hate it though.

20. mach macrumors regular

Agreed, it's nice to have the visual, you can close 3 apps at a time, and scrolling along the bottom I thought was a very nice little touch, possibly even a nod to power users that would be annoyed with its standard behavior.

21. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Don't worry about it. That's the entire premise of a forum. Without questions a forum would cease to exist.

Going by the mentality of thinking that one should search for the answers instead of asking would hold true with 99.99% of all questions. Everything has already been asked and answered 1000 times over. No one is breaking new ground here.

22. sovietpop macrumors newbie

I have to say i really like my mini 2 but right now the OS feel kinda sluggish
    and yes the app-switcher does not feel great.
    Its done very well on Android imo (tested on KitKat).