anyone else NOT update to 3.0.1 ? / Love 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TapOut, Aug 6, 2009.

1. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

I love 3.0 software on my 3GS i have had NO problems or complaints at all.. and i hear all this crap about 3.0.1 and i am jailbroken and do not want to lose all my apps and reinstall them..but anyone else have NO problems with 3.0 ?:apple:

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

3.0.1 is just an update to fix the SMS vulnerability. So I really don't care about updating my firmware to fix such a minor thing.

3.0's been fine for me, I'll update when 3.1 rolls around officially.

3. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I don't really care that much for jailbreaking anymore, so I went ahead with the update.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Well, here's someone who we can use that SMS exploit on.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah, but the beauty of 3.01 is that it creates what one might call "herd immunity." In medicine, that basically means that enough people are immunized against a disease, it can't really spread, so even if you personally are not immune, you're largely protected anyway. Here, if enough people upgrade to 3.01, nobody would bother to try this exploit anymore (The analogy isn't perfect, but it like the term :)). So I think those who like 3.0 can stick with it, confident that they will not fall victim to the SMS exploit.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I didn't update because I just didn't bother connecting my iPhone to my computer yet. It's only for SMS Vulnerability, so yeah.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I like the way you're thinking. I have not updated because I've seen some people having issues. I am going to update today most likely. I like to wait for the storm to pass and see how the dust settles. The same reason why I have not bought the 3GS yet.

8. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Exactly, same here. I've heard different reports on the 3.0.1 firmware update, and if all it is doing is updating the SMS vulnerability fix for me, that's not really a big deal.

9. muledogus macrumors 6502

Pretty much the same story. Heard some things I didn't like about 3.0.1 and figured I was pretty safe anyway with everyone else being protected and am waiting out 3.1 if that's even worth upgrading to.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why would I not want to update to 3.01 since its closing a security vulnerability.

11. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I guess it's a world of pain to update if you jailbroke at 3.0...

12. iSaga macrumors regular

Actually it is super easy. I upgraded to 3.01, then jailbroke with Redsn0w and didn't have to reinstall my media or apps at all. All in all it took about 10 minutes to do both.

The only problem I have been having is with app icons changing to the wrong ones but that is a 3.0 issue and has nothing to do with the upgrade.

13. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I'm waiting for 3.1 too.

If I wait for 3.1....does that mean I'll still install what 3.0.1 offers?

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I haven't upgraded but its more because I can't download such a large file : / I really wish Apple would make these as patches rather then having to download the entire OS again.

15. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Any time any update comes out people report 'issues'. With every single update that Apple has ever done we have seen people on these forums complaining that their phone is slower, battery life worse, phone got bricked, etc.

16. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Updates snowball as the versions numbers get higher, so 3.1 should hopefully contain 3.0.1.

17. Harman M macrumors member

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

Am I the only one who's ready for the people who didn't update to 3.0.1 to get their phone hacked so we can see a billion topics about it? :eek:

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Doesn't really apply because other phones are also vulnerable and those phones can be used to spread the attack.

That's the explanation I got.

20. christyn macrumors 6502a

21. tboooe macrumors regular

I am waiting for 3.1 and then I plan on jailbreaking. My theory is that there probably wont be a major upgrade after 3.1 for a while so I would rather wait for that before going through the effort of jailbreaking (yes I will be a first time jailbreaker)

22. icewing macrumors 6502

+ 1 - I upgraded right away, and haven't noticed any problems, phone seems to act exactly the same as with 3.0. And not upgrading because you're jailbroken - jailbreak is available for 3.0.1, so why not protect yourself?

23. HarryAndAGuitar macrumors member

HarryAndAGuitar

I updated to 3.0.1 because I have never jailbroke my iphone and so i wasn't bothered upgrade worked fine seems no different really. Always like to have the updated firmware though.

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

+1

The hacker sends it directly to the vulnerable phone. If one was to infect someone who isn't immune directly then it wouldn't matter if most people were immune, because the disease would be directly introduced to them...

25. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Really has nothing to do with this. It's not like the SMS exploit is a virus/worm that hops from one iPhone to the next.