Anyone else not using Apple Pay or is suprised by the iCloud requirement?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I took the plunge into 8.1. I went into Apple Pay and saw a message that i needed to set up an iCloud account.

I don't use iCloud, I don't want photos and other things sitting somewhere on Apple servers. Just looking at the article on MacRumors about the man-in-the-middle attack from China, its another vulnerability and another way that malicious thieves or government can get your sign-in credentials and access your information.

I was hoping Apple Pay would work without being associated with any account, but it looks like Apple Pay requires association with an Apple iCloud account.

No retailer I purchase products from will be able to see my information, but Apple will be able to see it all.

How do you guys feel about Apple Pay?

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I didn't have this problem because I already use iCloud. If you don't want your data on the cloud, just register but don't save anything or back anything up to iCloud.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I took the plunge into 8.1. I went into Apple Pay and saw a message that i needed to set up an iCloud account.

I don't use iCloud, I don't want photos and other things sitting somewhere on Apple servers. I was hoping Apple Pay would work without being associated with any account, but it looks like Apple Pay requires association with an Apple account.

No retailer I purchase products from will be able to see my information, but Apple will be able to see it all.

How else do you expect to be able to lock out your phone if someone steals it without iCloud? You can turn off all the syncing services should you choose.

Also, it's been said over and over again that Apple isn't storing any personal, nor any transaction information. They see none of it. The link is directly between you, and your card issuer with a secure token, and not your card information.

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
Just get an iCloud account but don't initiate it to work in "Settings"
SHEESH

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
like others have said you don't have to use iCloud the way its advertised you can turn everything off that syncs or backup just leave find my phone on this allows you to essentially make you phone useless to anyone that steals it

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I was hoping Apple Pay would work without being associated with any account, but it looks like Apple Pay requires association with an Apple iCloud account.

You are misinformed.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/apple-pay/

Apple doesn’t save your transaction information. With Apple Pay, your payments are private. Apple Pay doesn’t store the details of your transactions so they can’t be tied back to you. Your most recent purchases are kept in Passbook for your convenience, but that’s as far as it goes.