Anyone else not using Apple Pay or is suprised by the iCloud requirement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

I took the plunge into 8.1. I went into Apple Pay and saw a message that i needed to set up an iCloud account.

I don't use iCloud, I don't want photos and other things sitting somewhere on Apple servers. Just looking at the article on MacRumors about the man-in-the-middle attack from China, its another vulnerability and another way that malicious thieves or government can get your sign-in credentials and access your information.

I was hoping Apple Pay would work without being associated with any account, but it looks like Apple Pay requires association with an Apple iCloud account.

No retailer I purchase products from will be able to see my information, but Apple will be able to see it all.

How do you guys feel about Apple Pay?

2. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

I didn't have this problem because I already use iCloud. If you don't want your data on the cloud, just register but don't save anything or back anything up to iCloud.

3. Oridus macrumors 6502a

How else do you expect to be able to lock out your phone if someone steals it without iCloud? You can turn off all the syncing services should you choose.

Also, it's been said over and over again that Apple isn't storing any personal, nor any transaction information. They see none of it. The link is directly between you, and your card issuer with a secure token, and not your card information.

4. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Just get an iCloud account but don't initiate it to work in "Settings"
    SHEESH

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

like others have said you don't have to use iCloud the way its advertised you can turn everything off that syncs or backup just leave find my phone on this allows you to essentially make you phone useless to anyone that steals it

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You are misinformed.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/apple-pay/

7. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

why not just sign up and then turn off photos and messages and all that?