Anyone Else Notice Battery level Drop During Synch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barjohn, Aug 25, 2008.

1. barjohn macrumors newbie

I have now observed on numerous occasions that the battery level will drop significantly when the iPhone is connected to iTunes and you are either synching or performing a restore. I have seen it drop from 3/4 to less than 20% on some occasions. I can't figure out why since it is also showing as charging.

Anyone else notice this?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

My roommate's seen that too.

My guess is that although the iPhone is charging while syncing, the drain from writing the data to the flash memory drains the battery faster that the USB cable can replenish it.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I've started to notice this on my iPhone recently....I'm pretty sure this is new. Sometimes it even loses the charging icon on in iTunes(so its just the battery bar)

Weird!

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

On Windows you can set your USB ports to not shut down to save power. You can also check to see what devices are on each port and how much power they use. I assume you are not using a non-powered USB hub?

I remember back when I used a Blackberry the driver would step up the juice through USB. Anyone know if the iPhone drivers do the same thing?

5. barjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

After posting this, I left my iPhone connected to the iTunes figuring it would charge back. Instead, the battery level dropped even further. I have seen this too once before but thought I was imagining things.

I then took it and plugged it into the wall on the charger to recharge the device. I was going through a non powered hub so maybe that is the issue. Nothing else was connected to the hub and in use.

I will see if a direct connect resolves this issue.