Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asaad

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Yesterday from around 5-8pm my 3G signal was going in and out more than usual. This morning I got into the office and noticed that in places where I could NEVER get a 3G signal I can get a full 5 bars. Anyone else noticing improved 3G service?? This is GREAT!

I'm in the Metro Detroit area.

Private Dirt

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
My 3g service has always been GREAT!! never had an issue with it... oh wait i'm in Dallas... sorry but ya it is cool!

asaad

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
My 3g service has always been GREAT!! never had an issue with it.
consider yourself lucky. Our offices are on the 6th floor of a 10 floor building and unless I was by a window I could only get the edge network, 2-3 bars mostly. Driving and things like that I've never had issues. I don't know what's changed but I've never had service like this here. I'm really happy needless to say.:cool:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Well I get great service pretty much everywhere BUT work so I don't see an improvement coming any time soon. :(;)

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
They've improved our 3G here a lot, but 3G in my home town has been down for over a week now. Wonder when they'll fix that...

crsd36

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
I typically get full 3G signal in my office (St. Louis), but today, I'm only on Edge. I know a few others in my building are only receiving Edge also.

jbode

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
the service highly depends on the area, in rural areas it is usually not as good.

Being closer to a city it is much better, but it has times that it is slower or faster than normal -hopefully more faster than slower in the future

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
3G has always been awesome in the areas where I normally get 3G, but for whatever reason my WiFi at my house and at my school campuses have been failing to automatically connect as they have done in the past....:(

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
I still don't have 3G in my home town haha. Annoyance.

Multiple AT&T people: "Oh you'll have 3G service in Poughkeepsie by September!!!"

September comes.

Multiple AT&T people: "There were some delays, it's coming in November!"

November comes.

Multiple AT&T people: "It should happen at the beginning of 2009, January or February!"

It's now March. No 3G, yet I've been paying for it since July.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005

Multiple AT&T people: "Oh you'll have 3G service in Poughkeepsie by September!!!"

September comes.

November comes.

Multiple AT&T people: "It should happen at the beginning of 2009, January or February!"

Sounds like the same thing that happened here.

When it does finally come out, expect it to be buggy at first. 3G was really buggy here for a while. The iPhone wouldn't reconnect to 3G right away after coming from an EDGE area and 3G would disconnect if you walked into a building. (not literally walking into the side of a building, but walking inside of a building.) 3G is pretty good now, but I wish it was faster. I hope 3G isn't still down in my town...

The Admiral

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
no, actually we had an outage for several hours today (according to AT&T's help desk). service didn't return for me after the outage was over, but after resetting network settings it is back to normal.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)

September comes.

November comes.

I'm near there as well, and I agree it's extremely frustrating that there's still no 3G. Simply pathetic.

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008

September comes.

November comes.

I'm kind of close to you. I go over to Poughkeepsie and Newburg a lot, and I always think that there's 3G for some reason. I turn 3G on, and I get nothing. Yet by me in PA I get full 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.