Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickM

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
USA
Being that I just recently got my first Mac a couple weeks ago, I've just noticed something when listening with headphones... that I kinda like AND dislike.
I noticed that it seems to cut the audio signal totally when there isn't an audio application in use... so you can't hear any faint "hiss" of any kind from the electronics, I guess...
I kinda like it and dislike it at the same time. It just sounds kinda awkward to me when it all of a sudden goes totally silent. I guess it's a power-saver too...?

James Cole

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
Usually I have my headphones plugged in to my unibody MBP to listen to music when I'm at my desk. Last night though I decided to compare the sound quality from the Macbook Pro to a 1gen iPod Touch. I was quiet surprised to find out how much nicer the sound from the iPod was. At the same time, I was disappointed.

Does anybody listen to music from their iPod instead of their unibody MBP?

There has been some problems reported with the Headphone Jack of the mbp, but its more like an on and off problem with the sound... not really a bad quality singal...

Either could be that... or your imagination mate...

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Yeah, but since it's coming from the analog headphone jack, isn't the quality already limited?

No, becauseit isn't really coming from the analog port. The digital optical port is just inside the headphone jack. They're two separate jacks in the same plug.

NickM

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
USA
No, becauseit isn't really coming from the analog port. The digital optical port is just inside the headphone jack. They're two separate jacks in the same plug.

Oh reeally? That is interesting. I didn't know that...
Thanks for the info ;)
So, I assume that it can send a 5.1 surround signal through there then?

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
The same exact problem is occurring with my MBP. I have a similar situation (a 2.16GHz Morem MBP and a 1st Gen iPod Touch) I am comparing the same 320kbps song in iTunes on my MBP and on my iPod Touch with my Apple In-Ear headphones. And I notice that quality on my MBP is terrible! Its like the quality I used to have with my regular Apple headphones...uggghh. Apple needs to work on this.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you connect your iPod to a portable amp via the dock connector cable (made with silver or gold), you're likely to hear improve sound quality as well. :p

hd1080ts

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
A nice fix for high quality headphones is to get a USB DAC/Headphone amp for you MBP.

I have the Bit Perfect from Hotaudio to drive my Sennheiser 650s, it costs USD 155.
http://www.hotaudio.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=201

You simply connect it to the USB port, then select it as the Default Output device using the Audio MIDI app in Applications/Utilities. Set System Output to built-in if you don't want any nasty systems sounds in your headphones.

They also do a very low cost unit the HOTUSB2 for USD 65, which would be great for less demanding phones.
http://www.hotaudio.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=206

For smaller earphones or In Ear Monitors (IEMs) be careful to check the minimum impedance that the amplifier supports.

There are lots of other alternatives around.
http://www.head-fi.org is a good place to look

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
A nice fix for high quality headphones is to get a USB DAC/Headphone amp for you MBP.

I have the Bit Perfect from Hotaudio to drive my Sennheiser 650s, it costs USD 155.
http://www.hotaudio.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=201

You simply connect it to the USB port, then select it as the Default Output device using the Audio MIDI app in Applications/Utilities. Set System Output to built-in if you don't want any nasty systems sounds in your headphones.

They also do a very low cost unit the HOTUSB2 for USD 65, which would be great for less demanding phones.
http://www.hotaudio.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=206

For smaller earphones or In Ear Monitors (IEMs) be careful to check the minimum impedance that the amplifier supports.

There are lots of other alternatives around.
http://www.head-fi.org is a good place to look

If you're not spending more on your amp and DAC than your Mac then you need to spend more. :p

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2009
I tend to find the quality better through my headphones. But I blame that on background noise when I use my computer. (I don't use headphones with my computers)

hd1080ts

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
If you're not spending more on your amp and DAC than your Mac then you need to spend more. :p

Then hide the credit card statement from your significant other!

Also keep in mind that when you use high quality monitoring you will hear how bad MP3/AAC compression can be for music, so always buy the CD then you have a lossless master to begin with. Then look at using LAME to encode or use Apple Lossless.

I am about to mod my dead 160GB Ipod to 32GB of flash memory, which I will use with Shure 530 IEMs.

Jon-Luke

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2009
Cape Town
I've noticed a difference between my MacBook Pro and my iPhone too but I wouldn't say that one is better then the other, the sound is being delivered in different ways.

The sound being generated for the iPhone and iPods are specifically designed for headphone use and specifically made to sound good on cheaper headphones, so the bass is warmer and the treble set to be quite lively, the mid tones are a little subdued and there is enhanced stereo imaging to give an all-encompassing sound, this is all designed for a pleasurable listening experience on low to medium grade headphones. Also most people connecting their iPod to external speakers use the docking system and not the headphone connecter, and as far as I know the dock gives a flatter sound quality then the headphone jack.

The MacBook Pro has a different more flat sound coming out of the headphone jack, but now realize why this is good: MacBook Pro's are often used as machines for editing sound and video, when in this editing phase technicians require the flattest sound possible and most of them are listening to the sound on Studio Monitors (Speakers that are designed to give an as flat as possible response).

So from a purest point of view the sound from the MacBook Pro is better - it may not be as pleasurable to listen to on your headphones but it is better. If you feel you need more bass there is an equalizer setting in iTunes that can help you or install some software that can work as an inboard equalizer.

:rolleyes::apple:

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
I haven't listened to my newer headphones on my notebook very often but from what I have been able to gather it's always seemed to me that my MBP with bose headphones plugged in has better sound quality than that of my iPod (Touch) from my iTunes. I don't know why though. lol Either one is fine with me, the iPod Touch sounds great anyway. But for some reason it seemed that my older MBP had deeper sound quality.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah, but since it's coming from the analog headphone jack, isn't the quality already limited?

you do need an optical device on the other side of the cable.
its like via optical you are connecting an additional "sound card" to the macbook.
but its not a sound card, just the converter part of the soundcard.

ALL unibodies have ****** converters. i cant listen to them with either of my headphones (AKG K702 & AKG K450). its just too much hiss, too much aliasing, too much artefacts. its yuck. even MP3 sounds crappy.

Jon-Luke you are saying the EQ is applied to the headphone out of the iPhone & iPod. i doubt that would be so without specifications

The MacBook Pro has a different more flat sound coming out of the headphone jack, but now realize why this is good: MacBook Pro's are often used as machines for editing sound and video, when in this editing phase technicians require the flattest sound possible and most of them are listening to the sound on Studio Monitors (Speakers that are designed to give an as flat as possible response).

you wouldnt want to connect the MacBook Pro output to the monitors, because the crappy converters would be MORE than appearent. + the fact that you cant do balanced connections which is the least here...
so as much as i give you credit for trying, believe me, anyone doing proper sound editing is avoiding this built in card.
you can get an ExpressCard interface with great converters for 200 bucks, and it will be probably 10x better.
Mac Pro built in is a different story, but it still isnt good enough, but its bearable at least.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
ALL unibodies have ****** converters. i cant listen to them with either of my headphones (AKG K702 & AKG K450). its just too much hiss, too much aliasing, too much artefacts. its yuck. even MP3 sounds crappy.

Jon-Luke you are saying the EQ is applied to the headphone out of the iPhone & iPod. i doubt that would be so without specifications

See the post I linked to above. An attenuator (AKA volume knob) will get rid of a lot of the artifacts and noise by increasing the SNR. The MBP needs one, but the iPod doesn't because it is designed to work with headphones. Of course, even with an attenuator the integrated sound card probably still won't compare to a quality external card.

iTines does apply some effect by default. Under preferences->playback there is an option for Sound Enhancer, enabled by default, which increases the apparent stereo separation, IIRC.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
See the post I linked to above. An attenuator (AKA volume knob) will get rid of a lot of the artifacts and noise by increasing the SNR. The MBP needs one, but the iPod doesn't because it is designed to work with headphones. Of course, even with an attenuator the integrated sound card probably still won't compare to a quality external card.

iTines does apply some effect by default. Under preferences->playback there is an option for Sound Enhancer, enabled by default, which increases the apparent stereo separation, IIRC.

im talking about logics output, and i have sound enhancer and everything else turned off in iTunes anyway :)
passive attenuator does not help because its not solely SNR problem as it is the converter problem (connected MBP to a 70's solidstate amplifier with 0.01% THD, with MBP volume maxed out, still A LOT of aliasing, way to much to be used as reference, i doubt there is an impedance mismatch here since its line to line signal.)
of course, it gets less obvious with crappy headphones... and crappy source :)
feed it an uncompressed mix at 88.2/24bit ..heh.. different story :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.