anyone else notice the slight buzz on their classic macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jottle, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Jottle macrumors 6502

I have the classic macbook pro, 2.5ghz, nvidia 8600, and I notice that of course the laptop isn't completely silent. And it shouldn't be considering all the fans, moving parts etc. But the one thing that kind of bugs me is that there's a slight electrical buzzing noise coming from right under the keyboard around the delete or \ key. I'm 99% sure this is just the normal sound of the laptop with current running through it. But I wanted to get it checked out with the rest of you. The sound is constant from the minute I turn on the lapto, on or off battery, and doesn't change in intensity at all regardless of volume on the speakers or screen brightness. If you put your ear up to the far right side of the keyboard, do you hear a sort of low level buzz (kind of like a fly zapper?). I sent my macbook pro into applecare to check this out and they ended up replacing the logic board and hard drive (who knows why), but the sound is exactly the same now that I have the thing back. I'm inclined to think it's just a normal sound (like the HD whirring), but some people have more sensitive ears than others. You can hear the buzzing at about normal using distance (1-2 ft). It's pretty imperceptible at further distances, but you would notice it in a very quiet room. Please don't tell me your macbook pro is DEAD silent as we know there's always the HD clicks/whir/fans etc. But do you hear a slight buzz towards the right side of your keyboard when you get close to it? Let me know!

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yep i hear it, never really listened for it or paid much attention. I wouldnt have gone as far as apple care though. Im pretty sure its just the fans. Since they are always running at least 2000 rpm

3. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

I suspect it's normal, but you'd think we'd hear it at the top left of the keyboard too considering there's a fan there as well. On the left side of the keyboard, all I hear is the hard drive spinning. Maybe it drowns out everything else. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? The sound is more like a fluorescent light really. A low level buzz that's audible in very quiet environments.

4. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Only hear the quiet buzz of the fans. Quite soothing really...

5. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

The fans make more a whirring sound though don't they. Are you sure you're not referring to what I'm talking about?

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Doesn't sound like a flyzapper and it's not annoying. Pretty certain it's fans..

7. suburbia macrumors 6502

If I lay my ear right next to the left of the keyboard, there will be an extremely faint buzz that goes away after startup. But generally, all I hear is the fan and the HHD when it spins.

8. tecknical macrumors regular

i noticed that too. it only happened for about a couple of weeks or so, but now it went away. someone on these forums said its the video card electric current or something like that

9. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have a link to that thread?

10. tecknical macrumors regular

11. lukoson macrumors member

electrical buzz sound

I have noticed the buzz on mine getting louder. its on the right side. I used to think it was the fan's but its definitely more of an electrical buzz sound than a whirr. It definitely sounds different than the fan whirr that I hear on the left side.

12. DanielOwens macrumors newbie

Electric buzzing sound

I visited this thread because I am having the exact same problem. I have noticed that the sound is emanating in the upper right corner of the keyboard, right by the delete key. Also, I have noticed that the sound will come and go depending on where my hands are placing pressure on the computer. If I place a little pressure on the bottom of the keyboard, by the mouse pad, the sound will go away. But, if I release my hands, the sound comes back... a buzzing by the delete key. The sound has gotten louder over the last couple weeks. I've heard the noise for about a month. I think it's interesting that the sound will change depending on the amount of pressure my hands exert on the keyboard. I'm hearing it now.... Any ideas about what is causing this sound? It's pretty annoying and I know it shouldn't be there. The fans are soothing and quiet. This is more of an buzzing. Thanks!

Daniel

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

In my experience it's not really a problem as such, it doesn't affect the normal day to day operations of the system and unless your listening to your Mac while working through headphones. During those silent moments, between tracks, the electrical buzz does occasionally filter though but you'll have to be consciously listening for it. :rolleyes:

... and if you are, you're not really concentrating on your work. :p

14. DanielOwens macrumors newbie

buzzing sound continued...

Responding to Ultra-

I disagree. The sound is very noticeable. I don't have to be consciously looking for it in order to hear it. So, perhaps we are dealing with a separate issue? I'm not sure. I responded to this thread because I'm looking for a way to get rid of the sound because it's disturbing me as I do day to day functions on the computer. And, of course, if there is a loud electronic buzzing noise emanating throughout my room while I'm working, then it's clear that I would have a more difficult time focusing on my work! So, I'm either going to take it into the Apple store and get it fixed, or try another suggestion by somebody out there who is familiar with this problem.

Thanks,

daniel

15. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

My Penryn MBP had a buzzing noise when I first got it. It might have been me being paranoid with it being a new machine and all and being in a quiet room, but the noise was extremely annoying. I was worried that I would have to live with the noise for the rest of the time I had the notebook, but I forgot about the noise, and now I don't hear it anymore.

The buzzing when headphones are plugged in is another story...

16. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE:

I can confirm that the buzzing we're all hearing isn't a defect; rather, it's a resonation of the fan and the keyboard. I went ahead and opened up my computer. I started it up with the keyboard removed and the right fan is definitely just as quiet as the left fan with the keyboard off. The sound is also not coming from the right speaker, as it's over to the right of the eject key. What we're hearing is the vibration through the keyboard when the keyboard is secured to the case just above the fan. Essentially, the reason why the sound is reduced when you push on the keyboard in that area (delete key, l, o, p, [) is because pushing on the keyboard changes either the way the sound of the fan comes through in that area or how the keyboard resonates when attached to the laptop. Try it yourself. If you push on the keyboard while keeping your ear up to it, you'll notice that the sound is reduced. It has something to do with the orientation of the keyboard and the right fan. My right fan is completely silent when the keyboard is removed. But putting the keyboard back on reproduces the buzzing noise. I may flex my keyboard some more next time I open the computer. That may reduce the buzzing somewhat. But I highly doubt replacing the fan will change anything. It's a design issue. See this post for another similar explanation:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5258842&postcount=62

17. DanielOwens macrumors newbie

confirmation...

O.K. well that does clarify things for me. Thanks for your investigative work! I would be afraid of taking my computer apart by myself because I don't quite trust myself. I still think it's strange that the sound on my computer became more apparent as time went on. I didn't hear the right fan buzzing until a couple weeks after I bought it and the sound has gotten louder over time. For now, I can tolerate it.

Thanks again. This has been very helpful.

18. kis macrumors 65816

The high-pitched buzzing isn't a defect - while it's not pleasant, it's audible in most notebook computers with Core 2 Duo processors. It occurs when the processor switches to C4 power saving mode. I have an IBM T500 which buzzes way louder than my previous MBP. Fortunately, there I could just go into the BIOS and disable CPU power saving - as speedstep's still on, this only led to a decrease in battery life of about 10 minutes (of an average of 4 hours)

Does the buzz disappear or decrease when you plug in a USB mouse?

19. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually this buzzing sound isn't the processor. The right side right next to the fan isn't where the processor is I believe.

20. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i have yet to hear a peep from my mbp. the only time its ever made a noise is when i feed it a disc or when it spits it out, and when my fans go into over kill for some projects. but my mbp is fairly new.

21. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

Due to manufacturing tolerances, some mbp's will be quieter than others. It's really a luck of the draw since we're talking about vibrations and millimeter differences among how the different components fit together.

22. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Got the same MBP as you, and i cant hear anything (Although SMC doesnt allow my fans below 2600 :( )