Anyone Else Notice This?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by nikko1423, Nov 14, 2013.

1. nikko1423 macrumors member

So, I found a really cool loop you can do to get free iWork. Kinda. So, I got a new iPhone 5s. Very nice. And I downloaded all the free iWork and iLife apps. And when I went to my iPad, there they were in my purchased section, just sitting there, waiting for me to download them for free to my iPad 4. (With iOS 7, of course). I had assumed they would still be paid apps on other devices...

Anyone else notice this? If not, just thought I'd let everyone know.

(Also, if this is the wrong thread, I'm sorry. Couldn't find a better one. If it's obvious, again, I'm sorry. :D)

2. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Its not really a loophole. The only reason you're able to get it on your iPad as well is because the iWork is linked with your apple id. I'm pretty sure apple knew that that was possible when they provided it for free with their new products.

3. Oui macrumors 6502

I love how people get excited when they think they've pulled a fast one. And in reality its just ignorance rearing its head.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Some apps are made for specific devices. (Angry Birds for the iPhone vs. Angry Birds HD for the iPad.)

Others are universal apps and run on both devices. iWork apps are universal.

You can speed this process up by going into the device's settings and finding the App Store area. Turn on the option to automatically download purchases and this would have happened on your iPad before you even picked it up.

5. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

So to get a free app I just have to buy a new iDevice? :eek:

6. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Pretty much, yeah. I'm pretty sure the profit apple earns when you buy a new product from them kinda covers the cost of the apps (which isn't much).

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Intended behavior. Known. Not a loophole.

8. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Sarcasm.

9. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I realize it's sarcasm, but not necessarily. I just got my near year old 5 replaced under warranty and it's considered a new device so the apps are still free.

10. stract macrumors member

so I have a new rMBP, with the free iWorks, how can I get them free on my iOS devices?

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Buy a new iOS device.