anyone else noticed this, while tethering ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Coaldust, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Coaldust macrumors member

in firefox 3.5 the images look pixelated, Is this a good thing to keep data down ? also how does firefox know im going through 3g ?, because pictures look alot clearer over wifi ?

thanks for any input

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

Are you sure they were loaded fully?

3. Coaldust thread starter macrumors member

yeah also the color pallet in pics are lower, I suppose its picking up 3g and doing this to lower data usage, Which in my case is a good thing ;)

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

The images are compressed to reduce loading times :) They are compressed I think at ISP level.

5. stu212 macrumors member

it's not firefox its the phone they compress the images on data being sent to the phone to save data.

6. Coaldust thread starter macrumors member

I see, Thanks guys, This tethering is superb ;)

7. Geniusdog254 macrumors regular

If AT&T is compressing the data on their side then doesn't that mean they can obviously tell you're tethering and charge you for it. I have no problems like this with MiWi or PDANet, which is why I use them because AT&T has a lot harder of a time telling.

Just my $.02

8. Coaldust thread starter macrumors member

I'm on o2 uk. I think the fact that they are compressing data is a good sign. That means the servers think I'm on the iPhone

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

No, the server know that you are on an iPhone. That's basically how they know you're tethering. If I remember correctly, the proxy servers or gateway check the IP, and other things such as user-agents etc. to work out whether you are tethering or not. At such point, compression occurs. Now, I doubt that compression occurs at iPhone level, becuase it would be quite painful, since it'd be quite slow.

10. BNZ1 macrumors regular

And the iPhone would have to download the image to compress it, ruining the whole point of the procedure.