Anyone else order a 17" MBP CTO ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Oct 29, 2008.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I've ordered the 17" 2.6GHz with 128 SSD and Anti-Glare screen. Has anyone else ordered one of these Late LATE Classic 17 MBPs?

Any issues with yours, and what the AG screen like?

2. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

well its pretty damn expensive for a 'lil' lower end GPU and they're not the rage nowadays. or so i think..

4. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

yeh, i'm the only dumb ass to pay over the odds for an out of date machine. thanks for reminding me:rolleyes:

5. benjs macrumors regular

Nope, sparkie, I just did the same. Not a fan of the gl(a)ssy screen, so I did what I had to do! Wanted a 17" model, didn't feel like waiting for an "update", which would likely just remove ports, offer a Mini DisplayPort which requires adapters, and all around not look as classy as the old style IMO. I'm with you here, eagerly awaiting my new old 17"! Also, I'm not planning on using this machine for gaming, just photographic stuff and high-definition videos (in university we have incredible access to "free" HD content).

6. MBX macrumors 65816

i just did the same (although with the 320gb 7200rpm drive)

the hyper-glossy ones are absolutely no alternative and neither i'm gonna wait for the hyper-glossy 17'' version.

7. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

So that makes three of us

Humpty, Dumptee and Twiddle Dee :D

8. risenphoenixkai macrumors regular

When you guys get your "refreshed" 17" MacBook Pros, can you confirm whether or not they have the new four-finger multitouch gestures enabled? Apple's site says that the late-2008 17" MacBook Pros have these gestures while the early 2008 models do not. A lot of us are trying to work on a solution to bring these gestures to the earlier models, as they appear to be implemented through software.

Thanks.

9. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Make that four

Quick story:

My later 2005 15" PB display was on the blink (flickering), so I took it in to Apple. After two weeks in the shop, they contact me to say they don't have any replacement 1440x960 LCDs.

They say they'll replace it with a new 15" MacBook Pro (!)

I ask for the matte finish...

They agree to replace it with a fully specced 17" matte MacBook Pro with 7200rpm to match as closely as possible as the specs of my PowerBook! (100GB 7200rpm).

Let's see if it actually happens...

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

eh, how that happen? was it still under Apple warranty?

man, what an UPgrade! :D

11. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

AppleCare. Just in the nick of time - 3 years expires this month. I personally think it is crazy that they have to replace the computer - and because there are no matte finish 15" anymore, they have to upgrade me to the 17!

I'd personally prefer replacement with the last-gen LED-lit 15" matte, but as-of launching the new glassy models, they say that this is not an option.

12. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Apple is making so much money they can afford to do Super Upgrades. NICE :D

13. MMPascal macrumors member

14. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

15. benjs macrumors regular

I just read what comes in the box thoroughly.. can't believe they include a DVI to VGA adapter, when everyone with the new Mini DisplayPort are provided with no adapters whatsoever! What a kick in the face, eh?

16. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

err.. a kick in the face for owners of the Unibody enclosures?

we're just getting the last of the spare parts and adpaters for those that have ordered the 'classic' late MBPs

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They're not out of date yet! Unless there is a substitute, it is still the latest. ;)

18. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

i checked. only 3 finger swipe :(

19. benjs macrumors regular

Are you sure? As I've confirmed with AppleCare reps and the website claims up to four-finger multi-touch. Have you checked the System Preferences to see whether you have four-finger activated perhaps?

20. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

under sys prefs, in Keyboard & Mouse the left hand panel only shows One, Two and Three finger options. Actual screen grab...

Attached Files:

21. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

For anyone that cares/wants to know.. the 'Anti-Glare' display is superb. 95% similar to my old PB G4 matte screen. The hi-res LED screen is stunning. Talk about tiny & sharp font rendering! :D

22. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Why not pop into your local AppleStore and do whatever you wanna do before you think about buying? Beats sitting on your arse waiting for someone else do it for you!! Also, if you look at Apple's site, i'm sure it'll say!

Thanks, I've ordered one just ain't paid for it at the convini yet! We have C.O.D here...
    Still thinking should I have a US or Japanese keyboard.

details:

2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    320GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm
    SuperDrive 8X DL
    DISPLAY-HI RES, A-G,Widescreen
    No iWork Preinstalled
    No Final Cut Exp Preinstalled
    No Aperture Preinstalled
    No Logic Express Preinstalled
    US KYBD/User's Guide -JA
    Country Kit-JPN

23. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

my order was identical except i spec'd the SSD instead of HDD.i will order a 4GB stick and RAM this puppy up to 6 gig :D