Anyone Else Order an MCE Optibay Recently?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seepel, Mar 24, 2010.

1. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I recently ordered an MCE Optibay and I was told there was a backorder and that it was supposed to ship on Monday, but nothing yet. I'm wondering if anyone else has ordered recently and is in the same boat. Thanks.

2. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I ordered one last night. No mention of a back order but the only response I got so far was the computer generated "we got your order". It won't matter much in my case since the SSD I ordered from OWC is back ordered 2 -3 weeks.

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I ordered a week ago, no shipping information yet. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gone with a different product.

4. John Kotches macrumors 6502

I ordered my Optibay a couple of weeks ago and at that time they had the Optibays but not the free external enclosure.

Great, so if I install the optibay, I have no ROM drive.

Anyway, no ETA on the enclosure and god only knows when it will ship. Quite disappointing IMO.

5. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Looks like mine shipped this afternoon. I've got a FedEx tracking number tracking number but it has not updated yet.

6. seepel thread starter macrumors 6502

seepel

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just called again and they said that they got the wrong part and to expect it Friday.

I am ordering for a Unibody Macbook Pro, what was yours? Perhaps that is the difference?

7. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

15" unibody

8. seepel thread starter macrumors 6502

seepel

Anyone Else Order an MCE Optibay Recently? (Or Ever?)

Have you recieved it yet? I still haven't heard anything.

Has anyone ordered one in the past? How long did it take before they shipped it?

9. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Just got it yesterday. No enclosure for the superdrive though. MCE is still advertising the free enclosure on their site But its entirely possible I clicked the wrong selection and chose not to get the bay. No big deal I heard it wasn't that good and I found a nice aluminum one on Amazon for $16

10. seepel thread starter macrumors 6502

seepel

I think they are downright lying to me. I called today and they said it was shipping today and to expect a tracking number by 4PM.

11. kelburn macrumors newbie

Hey, I ordered an optibay from MCE because of the free enclosure also, and have yet to receive it. So far 1 ignored email sent. Will update on this thread if I actually receive an enclosure.

Be warned people.

12. mmcatee macrumors newbie

I talked to them yesterday and they said that my back ordered enclosure woudl be coming in today. They also said they would ship it with the second order I placed yesterday, the proof will be in the pudding

13. boontech macrumors newbie

I ordered 2 weeks ago and still nothing, i am willing to hold on for the superdrive enclosure.

I could not wait any longer to get my SSD in so i ordered another from Newmodeus.com, got it in 3 days to the UK, its not great and only has one screw to hold it in place but cheaper.

14. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

I ordered one earlier this week and got notified they are on backorder too. Expected ship date is next week, so they say.

15. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

With wait times like that looks like i'll be holding off ordering one until their well stocked.

16. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You cannot depend on OWC to tell you the truth.

17. johnnyturbouk, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    if you really need the enclosure fast - try this one: one

works fine for me

ps the newmodeus enclosure is not bad, the mce optibay in uk is over £100 ($145 dirccet on mace site) then u will get stung for vat+tax.. ($160-185 USD)
    i was not charged duty for my newmodeus enclosure, not sure why as it came by fedex -

or if you buy it from authorized mce re-seller- its £154, or $263!!!
    http://www.equip-u.com/shop/index.p...uct_info&products_id=4240&number_of_uploads=0
    i swear this was £100 a month ago

i think the recent no/ of ppl copping optibays and ssds has soared thus demand is high and supple running low

18. seepel thread starter macrumors 6502

seepel

Sorry for not coming back and updating this post... I did finally get my optibay after a couple of months, and although it works, it was pretty shoddy. The external enclosure they sent me for my dvd drive was pretty unusable. The holes for the screws didn't line up so there was no way to secure the drive. And the optibay itself, although functional was less than ideal. There were only two holes to secure the drive inside the bay. And there were only two holes to secure the bay in the computer, which means that given the chance it will flap around. Everything is pretty tight in there so it has pretty much stayed in place, but pretty disappointing for $100. If anyone sees this and is thinking about the optibay I would recommend trying to find another solution...

19. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I just ordered the Maxupgrades version yesterday. I'll report back when I install it.

20. BrandoFiasco macrumors member

I ordered one 3/28, emailed their customer support with no response. Called them and they said they were backordered, at the latest i should receive it Thursday. Here it is Thursday and i dont have so much as a tracking number. Do yourself a favor and dont buy from this company.

21. kelburn macrumors newbie

I did end up receiving the enclosure after all. However, there was no feedback from the company or a tracking number as promised in the note they enclose with the optibay. They did not provide expedient service, but with the increase in mac sales they are probably getting swamped.

22. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Hopefully it'll fit better in yours than mine. Inside the Macbook Pro, after you remove the Superdrive, you'll notice a black covering attached to the MacBook Pro. I'm not 100% but I believe it's a sound deadener. Unfortunately the Aluminum bracket is rigid, it's not allowed to flex. Ultimately it doesn't lay down flat. Once you get one screw semi-tightend the other side comes up. I removed it 10 different times and it's just not engineered correctly. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the MCE optibay.