Anyone else overwhelmed buying a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ApplePie22, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ApplePie22 macrumors newbie

I just ordered my first Iphone (4s), should be arriving in the next 2 weeks. I'd like to buy a case prior to then, so I am ready to go right out of the box. While there are so many options to choose from, its almost overwhelming searching for a case. I find one I like, and I hear it impacts service. Find another one, the seller takes forever. Find another one, its from China and will take a month.

Anyone able to quickly shorten the list for me? My top priority is safety of the phone, following by comfort, then appearance. So would like a nice looking, comfortable case that will help in the event phone is dropped. like the sleeker designs, preferably with red, orange or charcoal.

Lastly, do all cases allow for a screen protector, and do I need one on the back or do most of these cases come with a piece for the back plate?

Thanks in advance!

2. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I've been thru a lot of cases and can highly recommend the SGP neo hybrid 2S case. There are raised lips on front and back that will keep the phone from hitting the ground of you drop it. Edges are protected and it comes with front and back shields.

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

No way to do this....its a journey where you will spend way more that you think you will just to find what you like.

I suggest you shop locally first so you can put your hands on the cases.

Thin and protective are opposite ends of the spectrum. So the less bulky the case the less it will protect.

If you want ultimate protection you might look are otterbox. I have the SGP Neo Hybrid which offers minimal protection and is about less bulk.

Neo, my name is Neo

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not here but others definitely have been. I knew what case I was getting before I ordered my 4s. It's a highly subjective matter. Enjoy the fact that you have so many choices. It beats the alternative.

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

YES.

I'm in your same spot. ordered phone, will be here in a couple of weeks. I've already spent WAY too much time looking up all cases that are recommended trying to find the balance between protectiveness, bulk, looks, etc. But it doesn't just stop with cases... no... have you begun to research screen protectors? There are a TON of options with a TON of reviews both ways. I wouldn't care as much but once you combine an "average" case (~$35) with a good front/back protector (~$15), you're looking at around $50 just in accessories!!!

Being that my current android phone has a $10 case on it and a $1 screen protector, jumping from $11 in accessories to $50 or more is quite a bit. I want to make sure I'm getting the most for my money.

6. DougNg macrumors member

You're going to have to be honest with yourself and figure out how rough you are with your case. You also need to figure out how paranoid you are with your gear. I think a lot of people get an Otterbox because they're paranoid

My wife and I both use Element Cases. I've never dropped a phone on the ground (but I'm aware that I might some day), and they provide minimal protection.

My sister is a doctor, and she admittedly drops her phone occasionally, tosses it in her purse with her keys, and has to take it out of the case routinely to decontaminate it as she works in a hospital. She went with the iSkin revo4. I tried to convince her to get the Element (just because I think it looks awesome), but it didn't suit her needs (and it's a pain to switch out routinely between two cases)

And before you think it's a hassle to sort through so many cases, you should take this into consideration: my son decided to get a Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4G (what a ridiculously long name). He didn't' have much choice in the way of cases, and the one he wound up with is pretty hideous