iPad Anyone else pick up a defective iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aidancbrady, Nov 1, 2013.

1. aidancbrady macrumors newbie

aidancbrady

Got myself a brand new black 16 GB iPad Air today, been looking forward to this day for quite some time :)

Sadly, that :) turned into a :( once I actually started using it.

First of all, overall performance is spectacular compared to my iPhone and other iOS devices. They aren't joking around with that A7 processor.

I experienced something that seemed like a crash when I was originally setting up the iPad - when I was selecting my language, the screen went black and then to the Apple logo. Everything seemed normal from there on out though, until I started playing around with Mail and noticed the accelerometer was screwed up, and couldn't get it to work without restarting the iPad.

After downloading a good selection of apps, I started really putting it to use - browsing safari, pulling up a good 10 apps and keeping them running in the background, etc. Anyway, a grey overlay started to sweep across the screen from the left, and then a blue screen appeared for a split second followed by blackness. I thought this may just be due to all the apps I had open and running, so I cleared out my list of running apps and restarted the device. After this, just by browsing the MacRumors forums, I experienced three consecutive crashes in about 5 minutes, each the exact same process - grey overlay, blue, black. After these crashes the device would always immediately restart.

One other thing to note - the battery seems to be completely screwed up. The percentage bar never goes up (kept it charging for 3 hours, nothing changed), and it still seems to drain even when plugged in (went from 82% to 75% while still plugged in). Note that the percentage never actually "changed" visibly, it would only display different results immediately after I restarted it.

This seems like a whole ton of problems to experience in the first few hours of using this device, and I'm going to go and return it tomorrow and attempt to exchange for a different device. My question is simply whether or not any of you have experienced any of these issues; it sure is frustrating to have to take back the device you got one day before.

2. ant1298 macrumors 6502

ant1298

No problems so far. Seems like you picked up a dud. Return it :)

Interesting issues though :) hope it works out for you.

3. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Have u reinstalled the latest version of iOS? Maybe something went wrong during the installation.

4. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I got one then talked Mom into one, both are flawless, just exchange it and you should be ok, weird problems for sure.

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

No problems for me other than iCloud restore which took forever. But the device itself works great. Loving it! :)

6. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I have no battery problems, love that it charges while in use, and love that it generates little heat. Perfect screen also.

But, like OP, I am having app crashing issues all over the place. Don't know if it's a hardware or iOS 7 problem, or a combination of both.

Returning mine and will not replace it. My iPad 3 and iPad Mini are both flawless and still on iOS 6.1.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I tried opening multiple tabs last night just to see how many I can do without a site refreshing when I went back to it. What you describe, I saw it using Chrome, not Safari and it did not cause a crash. I do not ever open that many tabs, maybe three at most. If it doesn't happen again with what I do in using Safari, I'm OK with it.