Anyone else pissed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wako, Jan 8, 2009.

1. wako macrumors 65816

No really, where is my push notification? I wanna be on a messaging client without having to not use any other function of the phone! I want to be able to multitask damnit! surf and chat! WTF!?

Its been promised for awhile now and Apple has not yet delievered. Anyone else pissed?!

2. HefferMikMan macrumors newbie

I think I understand what you're saying. To be able to talk to your contacts, and surf the web at the same time?

I am upset you can't do this as well, but this is something that could be implemented into the next Instant Messaging App, (which doesn't even necessarily have to be made from :apple:).

You could have one tab for your contacts, one tab for your conversations, and if one of your contacts sent you a link, it wouldn't leave the program, it would simply open up another tab, where you could browse accordingly.

This sounds like the App that would replace Fring for me.

3. svndmvn Guest

what's wrong with ebuddy or web IMs like that? surf and chat at the same time, am I mistaking?
    Apple is obviously working on patching some security holes that will make push/multitasking safer/copy-paste.

4. HefferMikMan macrumors newbie

You would assume that :apple: is working on making the iPhone better in many ways, because :apple: cares about their customers, and always makes the best products.

But, the iPhone has spawned all kinds of user-created media. People are designing and creating their own Apps, and I think :apple: has noticed this, and is sitting back a bit, to see what we can do on our own.

But to add onto my previous post, one of the reasons why :apple: hasn't added features we have all been waiting for, (like Copy-Paste, Highlighting, Multi-tasking...etc), is because the iPhone is already a GREAT product, as is.

Why should they spend even more time making a great selling product more complex? Keep in mind, some people are afraid to try the iPhone. I know it has a great interface, and is very easy to use...but not everyone knows that.

But really, to make things easier for everyone, :apple: should add at least one more button to the iPhone. Not near the volume buttons on the side, but near the "home button", in the bottom middle.

I know that what :apple: is really concentrating on now, is making the iPhone Faster and Bigger (HD wise). They have to compete with the BlackBerry, and the easiest way to get the skeptical customers, is to have the fastest product with the largest hard drive.

I haven't used the BlackBerry, but I saw the interface on a TV commercial, and I have to say, besides the stupid mouse pointer, it looked pretty good. I'm not saying I want one of them though. I am more than happy with my 3G. Hands down the best product I've ever owned. It's an iPod too! :)

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I hope your being sarcastic. There have been thousands (if not millions) of Apple customers that have been clamoring for push, MMS, cut and paste, etc., but all these pleas have fell on deaf ears.

Why waste money on developing your own apps when you can have other people do it for you, and still profit from their efforts!

Yes, instead of something useful, we are fed Google Street View. I still don't understand the reasons for delaying a basic function all other smartphones already have. Is cut and paste really going to cause a large bump in sales? Likely not...and that is probably why we haven't seen it yet.

I don't think adding basic functions will make it more complex. Adding a remote for Keynote and Google Street View do.

I see zero effort from Apple trying to compete with any other cellphone. They are clearly marching to a different beat. I do see all other cellphones trying to compete with the iPhone though.

6. HefferMikMan macrumors newbie

That's true, but also...why spend money developing something that's already been done? Meaning, let the users do what they can, and once the amount of newly developed Apps comes to a crawl, then spend the money to fill in the gaps.

I agree, I didn't mean to give the impression that the iPhone isn't the best phone/device on the market. But, not everyone knows how good it is, or knows what to look for when upgrading to their new cell phone. For the average consumer looking to upgrade their phone, they're really only left two choices if they want to get something top notch. The iPhone 3G, or the new BlackBerry.

I used to work at RadioShack, and let me tell you...at least 80% of the people who came into my store needed to be spoon-fed everything about their purchase. The only thing they understand, was Speed and Hard Drive space. So if the BlackBerry surpasses the iPhone in these two categories alone, it will be devastating for future iPhone sales.

Not to mention, the BlackBerry runs off of a Windows based interface. That's just another reason the average person would be more comfortable with a BlackBerry, because they're most likely already familiar with Windows (according to the 88% PC users, 12% Mac users statistic). Even though Mac and Windows are very similar, again...the average person is afraid of the idea of "switching" to Mac. It's much easier for them to stick with something they already know works.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

I think a lot of people on these forums give WAY too much credit to the average phone user. I'll give you thousands, but thinking that MILLIONS of people are clamoring for background processes, cut & paste, etc is probably unlikely.

It is very possible that the reason that Street View and Keynote Remote were the most recent things added by Apple is that, that is what most people asked for. Not everyone is a hardcore forum-surfing phone geek. Many want "fun" little things on their phones. It's highly likely that requests for street view outnumbered cut & paste or MMS (probably not likely on MMS).

I'm not trying to be an Apple-loving fanboy, but do any of you REALLY think that they have NO idea what they are doing? I assume that they would add the features that people are actually asking for most. And the forum-type population is FAR outnumbered by your average soccer-mom and business-man. I'd love to see a breakdown of actual requests to Apple.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

As would I. It's interesting to see these kind of forums where 90%+ people say that an integrated laptop battery is the worst idea ever, when I've seen surveys that claim less than 10% of laptop owners even own 2 batteries at all.

It's a difficult to learn just how small a coummunity we are. And by "we" I mean ALL of the tech-blogosphere...not just Macrumors! We're Apple's loudest fans, but we're not the most important ones.

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

True, I've used laptops exclusively since 1997 (on my 5th one now, haven't owned a desktop since). Obviously, all of them have had replaceable batteries. On only one of them did I ever have a second battery, and that was only after the first battery got really bad. For a long time, I was on a 100% travel job (new city every week for 9-11 months at a time, 7 years straight), so it's not like I was just sitting at home with them plugged in all the time. Replaceable batteries are great (and for SOME people, necessary), but it's not the end of the world if the battery is not replaceable.

But now we're OT...so yeah, push notifications!

10. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

whine whine whine, bitch bitch bitch, complain complain complain.

Why can't we just close the iphone thread all together? Or put a section in it that is for whining and griping only. And not put it on the mini feed on the front page.

11. markgamber macrumors 6502

Don't read it if you don't like it. Apply some minimal willpower. At least the other whining, bitching and complaining was about something relevant.

Ummmm....what? Windows Mobile and Blackberry are two different things, the average user sees that a Mac costs 30% more than a PC for no apparent reason and sorry, the iPhone is most certainly not the best phone on the market.

12. KSUWizard macrumors member

I think that with the G1/Android phone on the market it will push Apple to make much needed changes to combat with that phone. Maybe Apple never made huge changes because there was no competition or big reason too. Anyways, I'm excited to see what changes come with the iPhone and G1 as they battle it out.

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Hate to burst your bubble, but Apple's not worried about Android. They cater to (almost) completely different sectors of the market.

Android phones cater to people who care that Android offers a WebKit-based browser, who care that they can get the SDK for free, and who think that the idea of an open, well-support, pure Java app stack is really neat.

The iPhone caters to folks who don't want to screw with settings, don't want to play hide-and-seek with interface elements, and who want to use the phone's features with as little interruption from the software/hardware as possible.

This is why, despite a much hyped launch, the G1 hit the market with a resounding thud. Most people simply didn't care. To them, the iPhone's got those cool "move the phone around" games, decent 3D, lots of games and apps they can download from the WiFi-thingy, the ability to read their e-mail, and a contact manager they can actually use. The G1's got... uh... a keyboard. And no audio port. Yes, you and I know the potential and feature sets of both devices, but the average consumer thinks in terms not unlike the ones I just used.

14. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

.... you guys all seem to be missing the point of this...

its the fact that way back in November I believe, Push Notification which should allow us to chat while surfing, was suppose to be out then. This was something that was suppose to be out by now but it isnt. It was actually promised even further back during summer 08. November came and passed and nothing! Its pretty frustrating to me because when I bought the iPhone, I was under the impression I can be logged into a messaging client indefinitely like that of my other phones. Instead Apple has yet to deliver let alone mention ANYTHING about push notification anymore. Talk about vaporware.

15. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I don't think we're missing the point. The thread's diverged because... well... what exactly do you want us to say? We know as much as you do (most of us, at any rate). We're every bit as much without push notifications as you are. Are you expecting us to rant and post a vitriolic screed against Apple? What response are you looking for?

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

True. It's as simple as this: Apple said they were going to have push out by now. Push is not out. Apple misjudged their development capabilities. End of story. There's nothing else we can do except bitch about Apple.

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Exactly. If Apple was holding off on these features because they wanted to see if we could do it ourselves, then they should at least allow the attempts to be published. The go out of their way to deny such attempts (however, 02 just released an MMS app. Perhaps Apple is finally listening)

This is why I hoped the storm would be more successful than it is (IMO its a good concept done terribly, terribly wrong) because Apple would finally have competiton, something they have been lacking. Why would they try to make it better if its already considered the best phone on the market?

18. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

even when push notifications comes i think you arent going to be happy. you would still have to quit whatever you are doing and start up the chat app, then quit the chat app and start up the app you were just in.

19. markgamber macrumors 6502

It'll be even more fun when people find out Apple will charge for notifications and the whole microcent thing will finally come to fruition. 1/10th of a cent for an IM notification, 1/2 cent for priority notification, etc. Then we'll see just how important people think it is.

20. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You think they're gonna charge for it? Sounds like a billing nightmare to me ....

Besides, didn't Steve say even free apps will have access to this service?

21. markgamber macrumors 6502

Steve says a lot of stuff.

The potential is too huge, there's no way anyone is going to be able to do anything they want for free. Plus, hopefully Apple has thrown a lot of manpower and resources at it. Someone's going to have to pay for that, also. Per charging, it's no more of a nightmare than buying an app or a song or anything else via iTunes. They might accumulate charges until they have something of some substance to send to a credit company, but the credit companies probably have microcharge infrastructure in place already.

This is just a guess, of course, but I will seriously shocked if there aren't charges for stuff that uses a significant number of notifications. Something that pings your phone once a day or something, I can see that being free. But something like an IM app that might ping it several times a minute? Fat chance.

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I agree that there's a cost, and someone's gonna have to foot the bill.

Hmm ... not sure what Apple intends to do. Maybe they'll pass the fee over to the devs (forcing devs to offer free non-push, and for-pay push versions of their apps)? Maybe they intend to build in some revenue stream we haven't thought of somehow?

Hmmm ... who knows. It certainly does seem like a bit of a quagmire when you really start looking into it.

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Agree. Nothing's free with Apple. If Apple can charge $4.99 for a piano lesson, you better bank on Apple charging someone for this - which will likely flow downhill to the customer in some form.

24. one1 macrumors 65816

I just want my phone to actually PUSH while it is asleep. Every since the implementation of 2.0 my phone doesn't fetch, push, or even bark when it is asleep. Once I launch springboard I get a barrage of emails. Text however, seems to work fine. :confused:

25. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Then you've got a borked install. My phone is on 2.2, and push works just great even when it's asleep.