Anyone else planning on ordering the sport version and returning it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Ceviche Lover, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

?

I'm interested in trying the new watch(because I like playing with new tech) but don't plan on keeping it. I plan on ordering it and taking it back before the 14 day return period. Anyone else doing the same?

2. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

Just make sure it's after two weeks like you said.

3. sterl320 macrumors 6502

just wait like a full day before you order it.

4. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

If you don't plan on keeping it, you shouldn't buy it

5. yellolab macrumors member

Agreed.

Have you no ethics? Just saying....

6. appleboyy macrumors 6502

why not just go to the apple store and play with one for as long as you want rather than taking up stock that us people who actually want to buy one may need?

7. avalys macrumors 6502

I think that's perfectly reasonable. If you buy one and don't like it enough to keep it, return it. Apple clearly didn't do their job if the Watch is merely a novelty that only holds your interest for two weeks.

I mean, I am going to buy one with the expectation of liking it and keeping it. But if I don't, back it goes, and I certainly won't feel guilty about it.

You are going to buy one with the expectation of not liking it and returning it. But if you like it, you will of course keep it. There's no ethical problem. If Apple didn't want to promote this exact behavior, they would not offer a 14-day return policy.

8. Ceviche Lover thread starter macrumors regular

Because I want to use it for more then 10 minutes that's why. And don't worry they should have plenty of sport watches in stock judging by the reviews.

9. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

It is not reasonable when you have absolutely no plan on keeping it.

10. Ceviche Lover thread starter macrumors regular

I said I don't PLAN on keeping, not that I am 100% not keeping it.

11. yellolab macrumors member

Amazing how people who want do things that are nor right, but want to anyway, can justify their actions.
    Of course Apple is not thinking "hey we'll offer this 14 day period return period just so people who are curious can play with it then return it". That's what the try-on apt is for.
    It's all about intent: if you intent to buy one, but don't like it, then OK. But if you intend to buy one just to return it...

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Whilst I agree.

Let's remember one thing.

Apple avoids paying millions, perhaps tens of millions or more in tax due to them employing legal people to, exploit/use totally legal methods to not have to pay.

And MANY here say that is fine, and they are correct to use any means to save money as long as they are not breaking any laws.

This gentleman is doing exactly the same, he is deciding to take advantage of a totally legal method to try out a product, and then return it, legally to avoid paying.

If we do not like this, then Apple should change the system so he and others cannot do it. Whilst this is allowed he is within his rights to do so.

And again, this is the reasoning given when Apple gets out of paying.

13. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

This right here is why we can't have nice things.

The return policy doesn't exist for people to essentially borrow and use/put wear on an expensive high-tech product for two weeks for free purely for kicks, it's of course meant for serious purchasers only who for whatever reason are dissatisfied with the product.

That Apple, as a courtesy to their customers, offer a return period is not an open invitation to take advantage of it for any and all reasons. That's incredibly rude, and selfish.

Do your research and inform yourself before you buy, and if you find you think you'll like the item, buy it. Then if you're not happy, by all means return it again. However, if you already know beforehand that you don't really want that thing, don't buy it and squish all over it with your hands and so on, only to return it again. Especially as these items are apparantly of very limited stock. What on earth gave you the impression that this is acceptable behavior? :confused:

14. Lucifer666, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

15. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Why not just buy the Edition version and return that one?

16. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Now ya talkin ;)

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

How does a "review" determine how many they will have in stock?

Apple has not indicated what the "return period" will be. This is their first wearable so for all we know they might be changing it.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I agree with you. Legal but unethical.
    Just like how Apple handles it's Tax's

And I don't agree with either.
    But don't blame this guy, and then condone Apple for using legal means to avoid paying.

Remember, he's only "borrowing" it in effect.
    Apple does not pay the tax forever. It's not like they are delaying paying.

19. technosix macrumors 6502a

You are 100% correct.

Responsible people with self respect have standards that do not include nefarious behavior which causes a company to suffer wasted time, money and energy with a recalcitrant customer.

20. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

I don't think the word "plan" means what you think it means...

If you plan on doing something at some future date, that means that''s what you're going to do when that day arrives. You said you plan on buying a Watch and then returning it after two weeks, so that means that's what you're going to do.

If that's not what you really meant (and your response here shows that's actually pretty much spot on what you actually meant), then you should phrase your posts differently.

The return period isn't a two-week try-before-you-REALLY-buy period. You WANT to use it more than ten minutes? Too bad. We WANT a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily OK to do.

21. DJTJ macrumors regular

a friend of mine use to "rent" stuff from Future Shop (best buy owned) up here in canada. He would "buy" a camera, and every 2 weeks return it and get another model.

Future Shop is now out of business....

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

How many women buy a dress or a Friday, wear it to one party Saturday night, then return it for a refund on Monday saying there was a problem with it, of they decided they did not like it?

Millions every week around the world I'm sure.

23. Ceviche Lover thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly. And for the record its more like billions they avoid paying in taxes by keeping their cash reserves in another country but I hear no one here complaining about it. They're taking advantage of loopholes in our tax system which is perfectly legal for them to do so, much like I am taking advantage of one of their policies. If they don't want people doing this, then change the policy.

24. avalys macrumors 6502

You guys are ridiculous. This is a piece of wearable technology that will literally be attached to your body for 18 hours per day. The idea that you can get a sense of how well it will fit into your life by fiddling with it in the store for 15 minutes while an Apple employee hovers nearby and awkwardly tries to talk fashion to you is laughable.

If you are interested enough in the Apple Watch to want to try it out for two weeks, I guarantee that Apple wants you to buy one and return it if you don't like it. I guarantee you they will still want you to buy one even if your initial expectation is that you won't like it. Because if you change your mind, they've made a sale they wouldn't have made otherwise.

This isn't like a chainsaw or something, that you could buy for a weekend project and then return. That would be clearly unethical.

And I suppose, if you couldn't really afford to purchase the Watch, but simply wanted to wear one for two weeks for free and return it before your CC bill comes, that's unethical too.

But in this case, I just don't think buying a product that you want to try out but don't expect to like enough to keep is unethical.

I'd bet that if you walk into an Apple Store, picked any product on the shelf and asked a salesman "I'm interested in this but I don't think I'll get enough use out of it to warrant the cost, can I buy it to try it out and return it if I don't like it?" they will happily sell it to you every time.

If you are interested enough in the product to want to turn over your money for it at all, you have met any reasonable moral or ethical obligation you might have. If the product is not compelling enough for you to want to own it for longer than the return period, that's not your problem and it isn't a moral problem to return it at that point.

25. azure247 macrumors 6502

Apple makes such a HUGE margin on these watches that returns by customers should not even be a concern so why are we having this talk?