Anyone else planning on wearing the Apple watch during specific times only?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by durangojim, Apr 13, 2015.

1. durangojim macrumors member

What I mean by that is that I plan on wearing the Apple watch while at work to stay in contact with my friends and family but will be switching back to my analogue watch at home. Anyone else in a similar situation?

2. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

I said the same thing when I got my Pebble.
    It's an ugly little bugger so I figured I'd bust out my Seiko for dressier affairs but alas, when the time came, I couldn't imagine life without my notifications on my wrist and so the Pebble never came off.

3. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

I would, but how would I know when to put it back on again? it's a conundrum.

4. Kovich macrumors newbie

Interesting question. I am quite self conscious so am wondering also when I will and will not wear the watch. I think I am comfortable with wearing it at work (I am in quite upmarket accounting), but might shy away from more formal social occasions: for instance don't think I will wear it when I get married this year.

5. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

I agree with this, it's too many decisions and I can't...I just can't...

6. durangojim thread starter macrumors member

My thought is that I'm using it primarily as a tool, also one that's not very rugged. To me that means I'd leave it off if there was a chance it might get really dirty, wet, or banged up. Ironically these are all the situations where I wear my daily driver, a SS Rolex, which really is a tool watch.:)

7. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Hmm, interesting question I was thinking about.

At work, not so bothered, but I DONT want it to be a conversation starter. I also don't want people to see it in public, at least for a while.

The weather is getting nicer and I also don't want to people to think I'm 'showing off' if I use it in public whilst wearing a t-shirt, would rather keep it low key TBH.

:rolleyes:

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

9. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I wear my Fossil pretty much whenever I'm awake unless I'm just hanging out inside; I imagine that I will wear my Apple Watch even more since I want to use it at the house so I am not carrying my phone around all the time.

10. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I have already got an appointment in Tijuana on June 4th to have it surgically grafted to my arm.

11. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

I'm planning on not wearing mine when I photograph weddings (weekend job). It can get quite physical and dirty and I often leave my phone at home, so there's no way I'll endanger the watch.

12. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

What's your plan for charging it?

13. r0cky macrumors member

14. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

15. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I had a solar panel grafted to my skull in preparation for Y2K.

16. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

You're a pair of Google Glasses away from being a Terminator.

17. SarZ macrumors regular

SarZ

I certainly won’t be wearing my Apple watch when I'm out on a date
    The watch looks too nerdy and I don’t want my date to know I'm a nerd :)

18. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

Same thing happened to me. Since the Pebble accepts 22mm bands, I was able to snag a nice looking one for free using some eBay promotional bucks.

Now I can't imagine not getting notified on my watch. My phone is always on silent and I haven't heard my ringtone in over a year, it's been nice.

19. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

My current romantic interest has the largest collection of Robotech memorabilia I have ever seen. I think I'm safe. :D

20. technosix macrumors 6502a

I'm in the process of reading about the specifics of the UI so as to make an initial plan for how I will use my Apple Watch.

Previously I enjoyed wearing a variety of all mechanical analog Chronographs in rotation. Therefore it requires me to establish a new routine.

I begin my day in the gym wearing a SUUNTO AMBIT3 RUNBLACK fitness / training / running watch which is used in conjunction with my iPhone 5 Movescount dot com iOS app and SUUNTO Movescount web site. Having used SUUNTO tracking and training electronics for some time, it's my constant companion for all training and competition.

With my fitness needs well met, I have no reason to use an Apple Watch for that. Therefore in my case it will serve in its designed role as an extension of my phone's notification system.

With no aversion to removing the iPhone from my pocket it's likely my Watch use will be more experimental and perhaps even short lived unless I find something very compelling about it, or some app I'm currently unaware of.

Where this goes is the unknown that'll I'll enjoy until that mystery is revealed.

21. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

I'm not really sure how my Apple Watch usage will be at normal day, but I would definitely see myself using it mostly just the whole day until/except for when I'm at my room. After all, for all tasks I can use my laptop or iPhone.

Main benefit of the Apple Watch to me is to have to not take my iPhone out of my pocket. And school is the perfect example of a location where a (smart)watch can become more in handy than a smartphone. No more trying to 'pull' it out of my pocket, turn it on to see the time, than put it back in my pocket realizing I still don't know what time it is! The Apple Watch will be the solution to these struggles. Same for notifications of course. And for using many other features or apps. :)

But let's be honest... It's hard to tell how it really will be. Maybe I see myself using the Apple Watch more than I'm planning to. Wouldn't be surprised about that! :p

22. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Don't get using it in class :p

23. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Any day that ends in a y when I'm awake.

Seriously though I do expect  Watch to become my go-to watch. Mainly because I reckon that when I get used to the benefits it offers my other watches will seem boring by comparison.

Even simple things like, I've already made myself a calculator/tip calculator that I'll load up onto the watch. So much easier than whipping out the 6+.

24. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Why not? I mean, if there's one place where smartwatches are ideal to use it would be at school or at work, in my honest opinion. Of course, since I'm following IT training most of the time my notebook is opened up. But still, when the teacher is explaining something (for example about Cisco, this always takes a damn long time) I can just raise my wrist to look at the time.

Same with notifications. See, I find it awkward to take out my iPhone when I'm talking to somebody and I never do. Looking at my wrist however, would not be a problem at all. So I can just do that. :p

Even better, when you go to school or work by bicycle (here in the Netherlands a lot people do), it would be quite dangerous to take out your phone and look at it. When cycling, raising your wrist a bit or tapping the display will show up the current time.

Stupid examples maybe, but they should represent a few basic uses for the Apple Watch at both school and work. And I can bring up a lot more examples, but these should do well. :)

By the way, as I said... Time will tell how my Apple Watch usage will really become. It could be possible they will ask me to take it off at some time. Especially during exams. Here in the Netherlands they already don't allow you to wear both regular watch and smartwatch at some secondary schools. Just like with the smartphone, you will have to hand it over to the teacher ór keep it in your pocket/bag.

I got even luck I'm not in secondary school anymore. They don't really care about even having your phone at the table. But still..

Thus far a big story from the perspective of a Dutch student who is interested in the Apple Watch. xD

25. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

everyday except when its raining or i know its gonna rain. even tho they said it can take few hits of water, i just wanna be safe than sorry;)