Anyone else preorder from apple for 399 before at&t changed their upgrade policy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kcgunner, Jun 21, 2009.

1. kcgunner macrumors member

I preorded my iPhone 3G S before AT&T announced this:

"If you pre-ordered an iPhone 3G S through Apple’s online store, your upgrade eligibility will be reassessed based on AT&T's new upgrade policy for iPhone 3G owners. If you are eligible for the lower price, Apple will issue you a credit for the difference as applicable."

Now I'm trying to see if I'm eligible for the 199 price and get a credit from apple. However AT&T says to contact apple. Apple only see my current eligibility from resigning my 3G S contract on 06-12-2009. Anyone successfully get apple to refund a portion of your 3G S price based on AT&T's revised upgrade policy?

2. kcgunner thread starter macrumors member

3. Good4Another macrumors newbie

Before pre-ordering from apple my eligibility was 8/05/2009 when i checked on ATT's website. I went ahead and ordered a 16gb at the early upgrade price of $399 that was offered. A few days later, that new policy came out but when I checked my upgrade date at that point it didn't say anything b/c I guess my pre-order was being processed. The word around the net was that Apple/ATT would automatically go back and fix the issue but I too was charged the full $399. Has anyone figured out what's going on? Is this an ATT or Apple issue. Keep me updated as to what you all end up doing/learning.

I've heard about all these crazy formulas but I was under the impression that as long as it said you were upgrade eligible for the full discounted price as late as sept you could get it at price now.

4. Unfair macrumors member

I love how most posts around this topic never seem to get many replies.
    I'm in the same situation, was charged the full amount.

My account is eligible for the upgrade pricing after the AT&T made the change.

Apple doesn't seem to know / care.
    And being on hold for hours at a time just isn't possible right now.
    So, I'm curious what other people are doing as well, what channels they go through and who / how this gets resolved.

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Did you have an iPhone 3G active on your account, that was the first part of being eligible.

We're now pleased to offer our iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 our best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18.​

There were several reports on the forum that it worked as described in the AT&T Announcement:

If you're one of the customers who benefits from this change, and you've already preordered from an AT&T store, we'll adjust the price of the device when you pick it up. If you benefit from the change and you pre-ordered from AT&T online, we'll send you an e-mail and issue you a credit.

If you pre-ordered an iPhone 3G S through Apple's online store, your upgrade eligibility will be reassessed based on AT&T's new upgrade policy for iPhone 3G owners. If you are eligible for the lower price, Apple will issue you a credit for the difference as applicable.​

Source: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=13745 and http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1574

Dave

6. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Well, I just got off of the phone with Apple and they said that those people that pre-ordered their phone before the announcement by AT&T should be receiving their refund within 7-10 business days.

The Apple representative had to put me on hold multiple times to figure this out so I think Apple has no idea what is going on at the moment.

7. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I have been on the phone with Apple for hours over the last 4 days trying to get down to the bottom of this.

Here is the problem:

THEY DON'T HAVE A ***** CLUE.

They are relying on AT&T to provide them with data on the accounts and that just spells trouble.

I am so pissed off at this point I don't even care.

I was given a 100.00 coupon to buy some crap with for my troubles and time spent waiting, which was really nice, so I got some new Apple In Ear Headphones and some screen shields from Apple.com

What I wanted all along though was my rightful 200.00 refunded to me, or at least confirmation that I will get it, NOBODY CAN DO THAT.

Seriously, if you think you are owed the 200.00 just sit back and wait, calling will do nothing but get you pissed off like I am. Countless calls, countless supervisors and still have no info on when and if I am getting this money back.

According to ATT I am supposed to.

What makes me want to punch a baby is when an Apple rep tells me I need to call ATT for the refund. haha

Yeah Hi there dumbass, I paid YOU for the phone, not ATT. Stop trying to place the blame elsewhere.

Sure ATT were the asshats that made this change after the damn thing came out which was idiotic, but it doesn't negate the fact that I paid Apple and they owe me the difference based on the new agreement.

8. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I got an e-mail from AT&T the day of the announcement saying that those, including myself, whose orders were “eligible” for reduced pricing, would see the refund 2-3 business days after the initial charge goes through. I got my phone in Friday via an online AT&T pre-order and I still haven’t seen the initial charge. So we’ll see what happens.

9. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

The Apple rep I spoke with said, AT&T hasn't given them the information yet (in regards to which customers get it or not), but once they do we'd receive the refunds automatically. He of course couldn't give me an ETA on that, just "soon". I want my refund!

10. Unfair macrumors member

At least there are others who are in the same situation.
    I've given up trying to get answers out of Apple as well.

11. SirReel macrumors newbie

Am I the only one who got notification

Am I the only one who got notification? I had pre-ordered on the 10th for the "semi-discount" but then on the 17th got an email from Apple stating that I qualified for the new rate, and that I would get another email withing 5 business days once the credit for the difference had been applied to my account. I haven't gotten this second notice, but sounds like some folks never even got the first?

12. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I didn't get that notice, and my "upgrade" date was July 12th. :(

13. SirReel macrumors newbie

That is strange... my upgrade date, prior to AT&T change, was also July 12th.

14. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Same situation here.

I have a feeling this a going to be a long, drawn out process. Would they rather me just return the phone and purchase it again a day later?

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I'm not sure that is a great idea, from what AT&T told me you may have to wait a while for your upgrade eligibility to recycle back to what it was, she said up to 7 days.

However I think taking it back would result in a restocking fee.

lol I just re-read my post from earlier after I was on hold for an hour, I was one cranky SOB.