Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmisty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Maybe I should have predicted this, but found myself SO aggravated at the chase for the Ipad. I feel like there was so much deceit about availability. I called the Best Buy near me and they said they only had 9 people in line. Got there and I was maybe the 30th person in line. They told the line they had 100 available. OK, figured I was safe given that I was not going for the most popular model (64G White). So I waited, along with everyone else. They came out, handed out maybe 20-25 vouchers and then said "that's it...sorry". Don't tell us there are 100 and then hand out 25! Then at the second Best Buy, the person in front of me got the last one! I was so aggravated. If I had gone there first, instead of wasting my time at the lying Best Buy, I would have gotten it. Drove past the Apple store where the line was snaked around three blocks. Came home and ordered online :mad:
And what's up with not at least letting people know which models you carry generally? These poor souls that were first in line and waiting forever only to learn that this Best Buy doesn't carry the 3g IPads at all.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm equally bummed. I stood in line over 3 hrs at an Apple store and they sold out of all AT&T 3G within 2 hrs of opening and all 16 gig WIFI and all they have left are 2 or 3 wifi 32 and 64 and a bunch of Verizon:mad:

Headed back tomorrow and praying for a Saturday shipment and then hitting every apple store within 2 hrs of here. frucking absurd.

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
I ended buying a Verizon 3G even though I would have preferred an AT&T one. Since I have tethering on my iPhone I guess that I will have signal from either Verizon or AT&T most places :)

ravenas

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
Yeah I came home empty-handed too. Next time order online and just bypass the Apple PR-induced phony line business. It's a 2nd Gen device not a totally new product! For crying out loud shouldn't have been that hard.

Wait next weekend there will be plenty of stock for the more expensive models.

I ordered one online. If anything this killed my interest in a 3rd gen device and the iPhone 5.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
crying-baby-party-56800676.jpg

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
I'm pretty happy..

Woke up at 12:50 a.m. this morning, pre ordered a black iPad 32 gig and grey smart cover in the first batch with 3 day shipping. Wasn't planning on going to wait in any lines since I had such a easy pre order experience, but got bored later in the day and figured why not? Went to my local walmart around 3 p.m. and they didnt even get a single one in. Next I went to best buy around 3:30 and saw 2 people in line. I was shocked it was so short with just over an hour before release. So I parked and got 4th in line. Within an hour there was like 45 people in line. Employee's then came out and said that they had only gotten 10 units all together which was 5 black 32 gig and 5 white 16 gig. I was stoked to have them get my exact model of choice, and snagged one up and a smart cover to. Cancelled my order on the way home and now a happy day 1 owner with little frustration. :)

joltaxt

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
LOL @ someone crying because they waited 3 hours.

Please I waited about five and a half hours. Whining won't get you an iPad, lesson learned early bird gets the worm.

Plus it's your fault for going to best buy. They aren't half as reliable as apple when it comes to this stuff. I waited at best buy, but made sure I got in line early enough (7th) because you NEVER trust what that store tells you over the phone. Rookies.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Well I went to my local Apple Store here in Sherman Oaks, CA and was told dozens of times they would not have enough for all the people in line and they were wrong. I was able to get my 16gig Wifi only black which is all I wanted.

However I did order online at 1245am today March 11th and my Ipad Black 16gig Wifi is already prepared for shipment. If anyone is interested in this and you live in the Southern California area, San Fernando Valley to be exact PM me. I am not interested in making a profit on my fellow MacRumors forum buddies. I can sell you it for what I paid at the Apple Store. I will actually have 2 of these models available as i had a coworker pick one up for me before I was able to buy mine. He was in line at another store and didnt text me to let me know he got it until after I bought mine.

So again PM me if you are interested. I am a long time ebay seller with outstanding feedback rating. Just want to help some other frustrated people who were disappointed today. I will have one of the units on Monday when I go to work and the other unit I will have when it arrives from Apple. Would rather help a MacRumor friend out than return it to the store..

Thanks..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.