Anyone else regret waiting for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kjjnk, Aug 23, 2011.

1. kjjnk macrumors member

When the iPhone 4 came out on Verizon I didn't buy it because I assumed that the iPhone 5 would be coming out in June/July. I wanted a new phone before college because my old phone is a terrible, terrible dumb phone from 2005. So I waited and now I'm going to be stuck with said phone for two or more months. Just to top it all off, had I bought the iPhone 4 when it was released on Verizon I would have been grandfathered into unlimited data and now I'm going to be stuck with 2GB.

20/20 hindsight I would have just bought the iPhone 4 and wouldn't have waited. I'm sure the iPhone 5 won't have anything too special, or at least nothing that will outweigh an unlimited data plan. I guess it's the price you pay for always wanting and waiting for the latest and greatest.

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't wait, I always buy whats available at that time that I need/want it and not what i think or hope will be available in the future (this does not just apply to the iPhone).

4. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

The only time I went over my 2 gb limit was when my wifi went out and I watched hours of Netflix over my 3G. 2gb is plenty. I wouldn't be upset that you waited.

5. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

"Currently, only about 2% of AT&T's customers use more than 2 gigabytes, according to the company."

Source.

Unless you stream movies over 3G, you most likely won't come close to 2 GBs. I think way too many people make a big deal about it and don't realize their usage. And if you are gonna complain about it, at least look up what your monthly data usage truly is.

I downgraded from "unlimited" on AT&T to 2 GBs a few months back. I use the web all the time on the go and never come close to 1 GB per month. Now my bill is $78 a month vs the $91 I was paying (also changed text plan).

You should not regret waiting OP. The iPhone 5 will have a larger screen (most likely), better backing (glass is slippery and prone to cracks if dropped), a better camera, a faster processor, and maybe even a 64 GB flavor.

If anything you should be psyched that you can get a new iPhone very soon.

6. aztooh macrumors 6502a

The problem I have with it is that it's a ripoff. I still have a $30 unlimited plan that I was FORCED to agree to when I bought my iPhone...and now they charge $25 for 2GB. I'd happily downgrade my plan if it made any sense. I don't normally come close 2GB per month, but it's worth keeping for $5 a month.

The month that I tried out another phone (Atrix), I did use more data, probably mostly due to using Tango and somewhat because of GV and a couple of other widgets.

7. kjjnk thread starter macrumors member

I'm not complaining about it per se, I'm just saying that I could have gotten a better deal for the same price a couple of months ago. The $30 unlimited on Verizon became 2GB for $30. On AT&T the unlimited plan was $30 and the 2GB plan that replaced it was a cheaper $25.

In the end I hope I won't regret waiting and I hope that two more months with this 5 year old dumb phone that doesn't even have a QWERTY keyboard won't be as painful as I think they are going to be.

8. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

"The problem I have with it is that it's a ripoff. I still have a $30 unlimited plan that I was FORCED to agree to when I bought my iPhone...and now they charge $25 for 2GB. I'd happily downgrade my plan if it made any sense. I don't normally come close 2GB per month, but it's worth keeping for $5 a month."

If you don't normally come close to 2 GBs per month than I feel it is not worth keeping your unlimited plan. In the 3 years I've owned an iPhone I have never reached 1 GB. And like I said I use it on the go all the time (the web, email, etc). I just don't stream video beyond the short YouTube vid on 3G.

I know it's only a $5 difference and people like the idea of having that much more data, but again if you never come close it's just this fake peace of mind. And that is coming from someone who used to look at it that way too with the unlimited plan.

----------

If you've lasted 5 years with a dumb phone, I'm sure you an make it an additional 2 months.

Again, if you don't come close to hitting 2 GBs a month with data, then missing out on that unlimited plan is a non-issue.

9. kjjnk thread starter macrumors member

I hope it's enough because that's what I'm stuck at now. But what's good enough now could be different in a few years and it's always nice having the safety net of unlimited data and it being one less thing to worry/think about.

As for the dumb phone, I'm sure I'll manage, no doubt about it. But I know it's going to be a struggle, especially when doing anything that involves typing(adding contacts and texting come to mind).

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Since you're a college student (as I am too), I'm sure your campus has wifi available. If you're worried about going over your 2gb limit, then connect to the wifi network before doing something like video streaming or app downloading. I can't speak for all college campuses, but mine has some pretty quick wifi speeds.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think you should manage another two months after being with a dumb phone for 5 years. But if it gets too much of a struggle, I suggest buying a cheap smartphone off Craigslist for under $100. Assuming you are on Verizon and not AT&T, there are a bunch Palm Pres (CDMA) being sold for $50 on there that should make it easier for your texting. I am on AT&T and just recently saw a Samsung Focus for $100 which is a phone that is only 9 months old! Then sell the temporary phone back on CL when the iPhone 5 launch is near and the worst you could do is break even. Doing this is almost like a free rental. Phones are popular gadgets to buy used since everybody needs them. If you can't come up with the money, just look around the house and sell something you don't need. Any smartphone that is $50-$100 without contract is within reason whether it is used or not.

12. kjjnk thread starter macrumors member

So if I buy a $50 phone off-contract, will I be able to keep my upgrade price when the iPhone 5 comes out? (I'm on Verizon by the way)

13. mjahrami macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, 2 GB would be enough for browsing and downloading while you are out.
    The good thing in iPhone is that when you use that phone, you will not go to another phone sometime very soon because of features and the stuff that the phone could do for u.

14. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Your lucky you even have the ability to get unlimited data for $30. The best promotion for data in Canada is 6 GB for $30, which is like unlimited for most, but at least for you, it would be guaranteed that you are unlimited and do not have to EVER worry about going over.

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I hear that Verizon will be getting rid of the unlimited plans soon.

Fact of the matter is, you have a crappy phone from 05. Why pay such a high price for a device that's 1 year old, and that has horrible publicity? The iPhone 5 needs to be a hit, and i believe Apple will deliver after all the negativity the iPhone 4 got.

The iPhone 5 will have everything special. If rumors are true, it'll be the biggest upgrade the iPhone has ever got, internally and externally. So i believe it's worth the wait. I don't regret it at all.

People who recently have bought an iPhone 4 will regret the purchase, once the iPhone 5 comes out. You don't want to kick yourself knowing that if you waited a few months you'll be getting money's worth.