Anyone else restoring back to stock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lionqueen, Aug 4, 2010.

1. lionqueen macrumors 6502

I don't have anything bad to say about jailbreaking - I always wanted to try it - I suppose I had this picture in my head of a wonderland of cool free apps. I downloaded SBSettings and lock info, and liked both. Downloaded an app that promised to let me get custom tones for my texts, but it didnt work (and I paid 5 buccks for it), tried with ifile and tried with ssh, but I'm not sure I understand it correctly - at any rate, I couldn't do it, and that's one of the big reasons I wanted to j/b - for custom sms tones.

I'm not saying I wont do it again - lock info especially was nifty. But I think I'm gonna stick with the stock phone for the time being - I was pretty happy with it. Maybe in six months or so I'll try the j/b again.

I just want to reiterate - I'm not downing it - it just isn't for me right now.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. Shrek1970 macrumors member

No I love the JB and unlock makes the iphone even better than it is stock.

Just little things like the cydia app that allows you to have more than 12 items per folders make it worth it.

3. liekomgj4ck macrumors newbie

Yep. Played around with it for 4 hours and that was enough for me lol. Themes were all low-res and for that I might as well of just kept using my iphone 3. But for my iphone 4 I want everything high-res.

Finding crap is so cluttered and a pain- and in the end you can't even see what you download.

I will say though, later tonight I'll probably jailbreak my old phone (that's not a phone anymore) just for fun. But that's about it.

4. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I thought about j/b my old one... It's a 3G though, and with 4.0 it's become a little slow.

I agree it's hard to find stuff, too. That and the things that a lot of ppl j/b for, I have no need of, like 3G unrestrictor - sure, itt's really cool, but I dont really NEED it. Same with syncing over wifi. Facetime over 3G might be cool, but overall there was nothing I was dying to get except SMS tones, and I couldn't get that to work.

5. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

No way in hell am I going back.....I was always against it till I tried it. I absolutely love the ability to theme my phone.

6. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I did restore back to stock....but that was just cause I messed up on installing a program and corrupted a file so I had to. Jailbroke it again right away. ;)

7. shadrap macrumors 6502

Now with jailbreak, I have the perfect phone, never going back.

8. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Just a note if you want to try it later....

I use custom sounds on all my texts, missed call and voicemail alerts, etc. Helps me distinguish if my iPhone is the one ringing/alerting in the sea of iPhones out and about nowadays.

Just use an FTP program and change the tones that come stock with the program (Apple or ones from the App Store). All you have to do is figure out where those tones are in the iPhone subdirectory structure, name your custom tone to match the name the app uses, and then FTP it over the original file (make backups of it if you want) on the iPhone.

So....with this setup, I've got custom SMS tones on both the Apple SMS app, and the TextNow app (which the included ones are hokey, and some you even have to pay for).

One of the main reasons I jailbreak. I don't care for much of what's in Cydia either, save for those apps that add phone functionality that should've been built in (like Notifier, SBSettings, MCleaner, Firewall IP, and Winterboard).

9. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

10. Kayan macrumors 6502

OP, if you haven't given the glorious SMS apps available from Cydia, then you are indeed missing out. True and powerful texting is one major reason for me JBing

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Same here. I've got SHSHs on file with Saurik for 4.0 and 4.0.1 and I plan on holding on to this phone as long as possible. Even with light wifi tethering to my iPad, the battery life is excellent and with the faster processor and increased RAM, I haven't noticed as much slowdown from MS/WinterBoard as I did with my old 3GS, making it a virtually transparent (performance-wise) jailbreak. Finally.

Go back to stock? An emphatic NO. ;)

12. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

What is the name of the Cydia app that allows more than 12 items in a folder? I'd love that!

13. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

After having BiteSMS back on my Iphone 4, I could never go back to stock.

14. Gkf9 macrumors member

Infinifolders ...... I think $1.99 tho.

15. Gkf9 macrumors member

+1 Bite SMS is Great!

16. huskerchad macrumors regular

I had to restore because of problems, but I'll JB again. It's very raw at the moment (which is to be expected), so if you don't like life on the edge, step back a little bit.

17. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

OP it's soo much easier to convert a file in iTunes to aac then rename it to .caf instead of .m4a then make a theme folder for winterboard to apply custom sms tone, I did it with my 3G

just need folder structure in the themes folder of:

<theme folder name>\UISounds
    lock.caf - lock sound
    new-mail.caf - new email
    sms-received1.caf |
    sms-received2.caf |
    sms-received3.caf |__ SMS Tones
    sms-received4.caf |
    sms-received5.caf |
    sms-received6.caf |
    unlock.caf - unlock sound

they are the only main ones I can think of off top of head

18. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

19. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Facetime on 3G

Is the only app I need 3g unrestrictor?

20. OnNightfall macrumors regular

The jailbreak itself now is incredibly easy. But knowing how to use Cydia and tweaking everything comes with experience and a lot of Google and YouTube searching. It does have a learning curve and it can be frustrating if your not techie. But I will never go back my friend. I currently have...

Installous (Free App Store)
    MyWi 4.0 (3G Tethering)
    My3G (3G FaceTime)
    Wi-Fi Sync (Wireless Syncing)

Just with one of these alone I would jailbreak, but having all of them makes my already bad ass iphone much more useful, convenient, and enjoyable.

21. GooMan macrumors regular

GooMan

I had never even considered jailbreaking until Mon night but man do I LOVE IT! LockInfo & SBSettings are absolutely awesome and after just one day I can't imagine not having them. Even my wife has mentioned me jailbreaking her iPhone after seeing those. I couldn't believe that.

On a funny note, one of my main requests of Apple (and reason for jailbreaking) was different/more SMS tones. I changed one just to see how to do it and now that I have the ability to change them I can't find any to use. :(

22. supervelous macrumors 6502

When the jailbreak was first released, I decided I'd try it but would most likely go back to stock after a day or two. I had jailbroken my 3G and with memory issues and all the stuff I was running it was not a great experience.

However, I now know I cannot go back. I am currently running:

MyWi (wireless hotspot/tethering)
    My3G (facetime over 3G, HQ youtube vids, downloads from Itunes over 20MB)
    Installous (try apps before I buy)
    Infinifolders (more than 12 apps in a folder)
    Winterboard (using Nexus One Live Wallpaper)
    Iblacklist (love this!! block certain people from text/calling you)
    Bitesms (quick replies from within apps!)
    Sb Settings (no more having to go to settings menu to adjust brightness/wifi)
    5 Icon Dock (self explanatory)

I also love that I can get numeric readouts of signal strength instead of bars, and looking forward to hopefully more Live Wallpapers HTC Evo style, and when more Retina friendly themes start popping up, it really makes this an AMAZING phone.

All this and the Iphone specs can finally handle it (my 3G was almost unusable with all this).

23. MrMoore macrumors 6502

I haven't jailbroke my phones previously, but since they made it so easy I thought I give it a try. The LockInfo screen has sold me. :D

MyWi looks interesting for the rare times I need to connect my laptop remotely.

I'll see if there is any perfomance problems before deciding to keep it permanently. Also how hard to update when Apple releases new firmware will determine if it's worth keeping.

24. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

25. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I jailbroke today after going back and forth since the day it came out. The only reason why I want to saty JB is for bitesms and sbsettings. Right now I'm more for going back to stock if my battery dies faster than it use to. If that doesnt happen that I will stay as is.