Anyone else run their MBP in a different resolution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slapple, Jan 26, 2012.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I've got the 15" MBP with hi-res antiglare screen. After a few weeks, I just wasn't able to get used to the tiny text on the hi-res screen. I know I can zoom in, but not all programs support that, and zooming also doesn't work for menu bars and stuff.

So for the past week I've been running the MBP in 1440x852 resolution instead of the native 1680x1050. Yes I know LCD screens will look blurrier when you run them in a non-native resolution. But it isn't too bad - things aren't THAT blurry. In fact, there have been plenty of times where I've forgotten that I'm running in a non-native resolution. Sure, sometimes I do notice that text is blurry or doesn't look right, but I'd rather have slightly-blurry text that's large over sharp text that's too tiny.

I do wonder why Apple has a 1440x852 resolution instead of 1440x900 (a true 16:10 ratio). That's just messed up.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

my res is 1440x900

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This is really weird. I searched both this forum and google, and couldn't find a good explanation for this.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

That is quite interesting. Why not just have 16:10 right?
    I use a 17in but I am use to the 1920x1200 res.
    It depends on the people if you get use to the small text or not.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have HR display as well and I put an AntiGlare sticker on top of it. I'm not sure if that hindered the visibility or not, I was just focused on it getting rid of that "shiny" mirror looking screen that distracted me. I like big screens that use their higher support resolutions, it gives me more visual space to move around. However, I did change it to a lower one 1344x840, and that seriously did not work. It looked cramped but everything was bigger. The other options above this just makes everything look messed up or stretched out.