Anyone else scared for iPhone's future?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiderman0616, Oct 5, 2010.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm a new Apple fan. I have always hated them until I got my iPhone 4, and I have gone through some mental turmoil just simply because I have been such a detractor for so long and now own my very own iProduct. (My wife has an iPod and a Macbook, but only because they were issued to her at work.)

But I used my iPhone 4 for about 2 months, fell in love with it, and have since had a really amazing customer support experience at my local Apple store. I have officially been sucked into the whole Apple "thing"...........right in time for all the Android hype to reach full speed.

This being my first smartphone ever, I was hoping I picked a platform that was viable in the future too, especially now that I have grown to love iOS so much. But the Android hype and the market share figures get me down. It's not that I care if I own the most popular phone or not, but I do want to see continued support for my platform of choice. I took a long time on my smartphone purchase and tried the EVO 4G, the Droid Incredible, and the Galaxy S before finally deciding on the iPhone 4, which I though was the best user experience out of all of them and was the clear winner in my eyes.

I understand that this is one phone on one carrier vs. a zillion phones on all the carriers and that the iPhone market share is still growing but just slower than Android's is growing. All logic tells me to just shut up and enjoy my phone. What do you guys think?

2. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Heed thy own advice. :)

3. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I wouldn't worry about it that much. Considering there are still some places that you can't walk in and get an iPhone due to demand......I think the iPhone will be around for some time

4. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

The iPhone is not going anywhere, Apple is doing really well and with Corporations and the US Government adopting them, it's future is looking really good.

Besides if you love your device that is all that matters anyway.

5. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

6. jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

If you've got the time and energy to be "scared" for the future of the Iphone then
    you need to re-examine your priorities.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is like being worried that Pepsi will go away because Coke is the bigger company.

Stop worrying. The iPhone isn't going anywhere.

8. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

and pepsi is better anyways

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Ha, ha. The future is only one year away. There is a a new phone coming out at least every year. Worry about it then...

10. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Coke's better ;)

11. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Sorry but I think you really need to get a hobby or something. If you put this much thought into a phone, you really need a life. Enjoy your phone an ffs live your life.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If they stopped making the iPhone today, you would simply find a different kind of phone. It is not a big deal.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Don't worry, Apple is sticking around.

The only consideration that might (or might not) be of some importance to you in the future, is how tied you are to ATT, since we don't know if/when other USA carriers will be getting the iPhone.

For instance, if you'll soon be in a situation where another carrier is a better choice, you might be better off choosing an OS that is available on all carriers, so you can take your experience and apps with you.

Otherwise, enjoy!

14. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

only if its columbian....

15. xenuprime macrumors 6502

Apple may be loosing market share, but the iPhone is still the most sought after phone today and I think will be for the next few years.

I think recent changes at Apple (app approval policy, etc.) will help ensure it is relavent in the future. That is what longevity is all about, staying relavent technology wise and popularity wise.

Android is a nich, much like Apple once was, but I don't think it can overtake Apple (at least not for a few years).

16. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

This.

I shrug when an establishment only offers Pepsi products.

17. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I was slightly worried that I signed up to the wrong 24 month contract after hearing all this hype about android after purchasing my iphone 4. But after playing around with an android equipt phone imo its not as good as ios. The apps arn't as good on android than the ones for ios and the phones arn't as good compared to iphone.

Coke > Pepsi

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

No disrespect intended, but it seems you're pretty emotional about a lump of metal, glass, and silicon. :confused:

I'm more about whether a device does what I need it to do and whether it does it well. The iphone 4 does this at present. In a year or two or five some other device/platform may be better suited to my needs at the time; if so, I'll switch.

I just don't see the point of an emotional attachment to an inanimate object.

19. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Actually, I am pretty happy with AT&T. I have had them since 2001 and have never had any real issues with them. Right now my contract goes until August 2012 and I'm happy to stick with them, and my iPhone 4, until then.

20. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I've honestly been thinking about this, too, recently.

As a fan, I can understand the loyalty to a brand and a product.

So, when I see the GoogleTV coming out with a bunch of apps and exciting new features, when the 2nd-generation AppleTV is merely a baby step upwards (not to mention leaving us 1st-generations in the dust), plus all the new tablets that are going to bombard the market within the next year to compete with the iPad, it does make me question or doubt my unabashed loyalty.

The bottom line is that, in this economy and market, you have to look out for yourself. Maybe I've grown cynical since 9/11, but the greed of companies and their higher-ups, executives, and shareholders has been so overwhelming, you have to be blind not to see it by now. I may be going off in a tangent, but companies have been increasingly shortchanging us while raking in the profits, from shrinking cereal boxes and ice cream cartons while charging the same price. I mean, take a look at the first iPhone - it even came bundled with a dock. Take a look at our latest iPhone 4 - we don't even get a Micro-SIM eject pin anymore.

Apple's been doing a great job with their iOS platform and their devices, but if they are slow to build up on it, and other companies like Google or Samsung offer exactly what you're looking for, you have to ask yourself: is it worth your sacrifice?

Steve said it himself, 'people buy their products because they enjoy it,' and if 'they don't like it, they won't buy it.' You have to vote with your wallet.

Would I like free or one-time charge for tethering? Sure. Would I like FaceTime over 3G, no matter the quality? Of course. Would I want a notification LED built-in on the Home or Sleep/Wake button? Definitely. Do I want custom email and SMS notification sounds? Enough to jailbreak it. But if Steve won't listen to these requests for the iPhone 5, and "the other device" just turns out to be better, then I have to make a stand for myself and buy the other device, or I'll just be feeding into their idea that they're doing the right thing. If enough people will do that, the sales numbers will reflect and hopefully make them reconsider the direction they're taking.

21. Dyspareunia macrumors regular

Bah.. I'd have to say Android is akin to Microsoft Windows. Basically it is software that is designed by a software company which is then slapped onto various hardware configurations, based upon hardware manufacturers. So Google makes some code, which if lucky gets left as vanilla, or gets Sense'd/UI'd into crapware by hardware manufacturers, like Motorola, HTC, Sony Ericsson, Samsung..etc. It's just like Windows get thrown on top of Dells, HPs, Toshibas, Sonys, Samsungs..etc.

Apple makes the software and makes the hardware. The entire experience of use is more seamless. It's not perfect, but it has had more time to mature and take the lead with regards to applications and the actual App store. Will Android someday over take Apple? Maybe and then maybe not. I'd be less worried about the super-long term after all, you can always switch based on your changing smartphone needs. It's like PDAs. They are virtually extinct now, namely due to the evolution/incorporation into smartphones. In the past, people would argue over the merits of PalmOS vs. PocketPC and their software selections. Where are they now? Probably arguing iOS vs. Android vs. Windows Phone 7 vs. Blackberry OS vs. WebOS..etc.

So, just kick back and enjoy your iPhone 4.

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Dude,

I think you underestimate the zealotry of us in the Apple camp. We will keep the iPhone alive on our own, we shell out the bucks to upgrade every year whether or not we get upgrade pricing. We're loonies, all of us!

Apple products are worth it!

My tongue is only halfway in cheek! :p

Seriously, iPhone owns the smartphone market when viewed from a device bs device perspective. It's probably the single most profitable piece of cell-phone gadgetry in history. You've got nothing to worry about as long as Apple keeps making super high quality equipment, with super high quality customer care.

Let's face it, the iPhone 4 is miles ahead of anything else on the market in terms of build quality and OS polish. And when you do have the odd issue with your product, Apple will do everything possible to remedy it for you. It's the same across the board with all of their products.

They've got a proven formula for doing this type of thing, they're not going anywhere anytime soon!

SLC

23. madKIR macrumors 6502

Who cares?!
    Steve Jobs is not my father. Apple is not my company. I haven't designed the iPhone. As a consumer you can always choose. So if there are better solutions than the iPhone, we will only benefit from it.
    Competition is a great thing, without it we would be still using the iPhone 3G, I guess.

24. ecualegacy macrumors regular

Or Ecuadorian. :D

25. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots