anyone else scratch the bottom when removing screws?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 28, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I slipped up a few times and caused hairline scratches on the underside plate of my 13" MBP when I installed my Momentus XT (which I am now returning and getting X25-M). My heart dropped when I heard these screeching noises, but it doesn't look too bad and hopefully eliminates the OCD I tend to have with electronics.

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

try iklear, i heard that removes slight imperfections.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I mean the scratches are deep enough it won't be removed with iKlear, guaranteed. But not so deep I can feel it when I run my fingers over it.

I guess it's just something I'll have to get over :p

not dings and no depth to it besides the look:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

lol yeah, like everything else, things get old and boring. sucks it couldn't happen later down the line where the mbp wasn't as new :rolleyes: but it could be worse!

5. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

The good thing is thats its on the bottom and you will not be seeing it everyday. I would not worry about it.

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I did that once before, now I cover the area around the screw holes with masking tape. It's a good solution.

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

yeah it really looks worse in those up close shots, it isn't as bad in person.

8. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

:O u could get a metallic silver marker and hope it fades the look? just a thought :confused:

9. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Oh thats nothing, over the life of the laptop you will eventually get more of those.

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

thanks for the reassurances guys. Not going to bother exchanging (even though I couldn't use that as a reason to get a replacement, would have to "find" something else), worrying, or marking it up with silver Sharpie

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The first step towards eliminating your OCD is to stop making/posting in threads like this one. Just flip your laptop over and get over it. Just offering some tough love.

12. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

i wonder if they have rubber screw drivers to prevent such situations. like strong enough screw drivers, but soft enough to not scratch :rolleyes:

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You need new screwdrivers. Unless you're applying a huge load of pressure on the screws, you shouldn't jump the torque and scratch the casing.

With that said, I have scratched the bottom before on my systems but nothing that deep.