Anyone else see automated map directions in glance?!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleWatchGuy, May 14, 2015.

1. AppleWatchGuy macrumors member

When I first got my apple watch, it was magical. Every morning the map glance would show me directions to work automatically when I pull up the glance.

And then in the evening, it would show me directions from work to home in the glance.

I never inputed my work or home address in my calendar. But I do have my home and work address is on contact information.

It was magical, because I didn't have to ask the watch to show me directions to work. It would automatically do it in the morning.

Anyone else experiencing this?

The reason I ask is because recently I had to restore my watch and I've lost this feature. I called apple support and they said it was never meant to do that to begin with. Pretty sure they lied, because I had it working every day.

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Frequent Locations

Or something like that - I don't have my iPhone to hand to look, but I think that's what it's called. It was a feature introduced in iOS 7.

It's a bit scary really, has location data of everywhere you've been and when. But that's why it gives you automated directions - it's seen you've been there at a consistent time before and so automatically thinks you'll be going there again.

Should also appear in the Today view in Notification Centre on your iPhone - mine usually says something like 'Should take 14 minutes to drive home' etc.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You should be getting this on your iPhone too in the Notification Center. Not sure why you first discovered this on the Watch.

You didn't restore your iPhone by any chance? This is controlled by going to System Services under Location Services. You should have Frequent Locations to on.

4. Fiestaman macrumors regular

I'd be worried if it was Google, but Apple has no interest in your information and has openly responded to the Frequent Locations issue saying that this information isn't sent to Apple unless you explicitly ask it to be. Apple makes their money from hardware and not your personal information, so unlike Google, they have little reason to want this information in the first place. Yes, if someone got a hold of your phone, they could potentially use this information nefariously, but a simple remote wipe will take care of that.

5. AppleWatchGuy thread starter macrumors member

Wow I didn't know this feature existed! The reason why I saw it on the watch first but not the phone because I don't use notification centre much...

I have restored the phone and the watch at the same time (as part of a troubleshooting process for something else).

I went into frequent locations and it's turned on already. Does it just mean that I need to give it time to learn my patterns?

Right now I can see work<->home data recorded for the past 4 days only. How many days do I need before it gets suggestive?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, you'll need to give it time to learn your patterns as you also restored the iPhone. It'll learn daily routes as daily and weekly routes as weekly.

7. AppleWatchGuy thread starter macrumors member

How does this take for the daily? 10 days?

It's unfortunate that this does not get saved together with the restore/backup.