Anyone else see the potential? New 27" iMac x2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by foshizzle, Oct 20, 2009.

1. foshizzle macrumors regular

So i've been waiting for this for a while, and I'm glad to see it. The new 27" iMac allows for video INPUT via the single displayport (as well as output). I'd really like to see how the reviews pan out on this, and to see how it works exactly (ie, does the imac need to be on for it to act as another display?).

I do see this potential, however, for someone not wanting to spend money on a mac pro and 2 monitors.

With two iMacs, both same specs, quad core, whatever ram/HDD config. iMac A sits right next to iMac B. iMac A is used for work (video/media editing) and iMac B is on, but used as the external monitor for iMac A. You've got a dual monitor setup. Now, when you need extra juice for compressor or xgrid or something, you have an extra machine waiting to be used! I see tons of potential in this for not only video editors but for developers and designers as well. You essentially have a $2000 - $4000 (depending on config) 27" IPS LED backlit huge-resolution monitor, that is also a pretty powerful rendering node on stand-by.

I'd love to see someone try it out (I don't make money off of editing, or else I'd try it) because I think it would be a viable and cheaper alternative to a mac pro and 2 x 30" or 24" LED displays. Any objections? Imagine if a video shop bought 27" imacs instead of just displays, and used them as the external display for their editor's mac pros? They would have extra power for xgrid or compressor sitting behind everyone's display, instead of having to buy extra machines or servers to render content.

I'm in want of a 24" monitor as I've been getting into programming lately, but I also do some video editing with my canon HF10 and FCE. I'd love to get a baseline 27" and use it as an external monitor for my 15" macbook pro. I checked Dell and the cheapest 27" monitor they have is just under $1000, so this iMac is a killer deal for the price in my opinion (external monitor plus another machine to stream iTunes library, eyeTV recordings, extra power for FCE, etc.).

Just a thought to throw up and let anyone agree or tear it to pieces.

2. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

I see mac pro sales decreasing...You're saving $4000+, for two machine(s) that can do virtually the same tasks as a comperable low end $5000 mac pro. :apple: didn't plan for this...

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

didnt plan for this? i think they may have a clue as to what they are doing haha, and you can put 8tb into a macpro now and many gfx cards, the pro is all about tailoring to your needs whatever they are

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Personally I think the video in will be useful, but very infrequently.

Obviously I can not speak for everyone, however I only see this being useful going over to someones house, and wanting to have a bigger screen to show then something. When I am at home I use the computer at home because it is the main computer. The laptop does not have it's power. When I get home I transfer files from the laptop, but I need to use the mac pro for the intense stuff.

Now the Apple displays are expensive, so I guess it's not that much more money to buy a computer and use it as a monitor.:p

5. foshizzle thread starter macrumors regular

True about customization, but with half of the money you'd save you could build a cheap NAS for storage. You'll have less heat on your desk since you can put a NAS anywhere and just connect it via ethernet. Plus, each iMac would have 2TB hard drives if you upgrade to it.

I think the next move with these iMacs is dual gig ethernet.