Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guru101011

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I cant use siri all the time, i have unlimited all you can eat data. However, apart from home, i dont think there is a place where i can use siri outside. Why? cause they think your mad when u keep saying

"WHEN IS MY MEETING" and you cant exactly whisper lol.

Anyone else having this issue?

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
That is why there are two ways to activate Siri...

Simply hold it up to your head like you are on a phone call and it will activate Siri. While you are talking with the phone to your head people will simply think you are on a call with your secretary asking when is your meeting ;)

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2006
I guess I get shy in public because people think I am a smug using this new iPhone I bought. :eek:

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
I guess I get shy in public because people think I am a smug using this new iPhone I bought. :eek:

I get like that. especially since its new.

but then I realize it looks exactly like the iPhone 4 and realize it doesn't matter. Plus, screw what other think.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That's Not Shy

I cant use siri all the time, i have unlimited all you can eat data. However, apart from home, i dont think there is a place where i can use siri outside. Why? cause they think your mad when u keep saying

I remember when the first hands free stuff cam out for phones...I am NOT shy at all, but whilst walking around the supermarket and talking away to what onlookers must have though was myself.....I did feel a bit silly.

I couldn't drop the call, as it was for a major contract, so it continued all the way to the checkout. I think people are used to this kind of thing now....Won't get my 4S until next week, but Siri is one feature I'm really looking forward to.

iPhone 7

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
I'm still shy to use my iPad in public. I feel like I'm being pretentious when I pull it out.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Once you cross a certain age, I think most quit worrying about what others think. I have two kids and been around quite a while. F-what everyone else thinks.

Just use it and enjoy the technology. If they look at you weird, do the same right back and hold your head high with confidence.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Once you cross a certain age, I think most quit worrying about what others think. I have two kids and been around quite a while. F-what everyone else thinks.

Just use it and enjoy the technology. If they look at you weird, do the same right back and hold your head high with confidence.

we need more people like you :D people think im odd cuz i "vlog" or post on youtube and writ my own website blog.

In reality, I think its dumb/weird for them to get drunk and have sex with a stranger but they see that as living the life. EVERYONE has different views . and 100 years from now nobody will even remember who you are , so why not do whatever you like :D

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle

Exactly! I don't care, I don't like most people, anyway.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
UK
That raise to speak thing is really dodgey for me. Works about 10% of the time.
Yet the sensor to turn off the screen works in calls everytime, which i assume is what Siri uses to detect whether the phone is against your ear.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

Just put your earbuds in your ears or get a bluetooth earpiece. Problem Solved.

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
One of the selling points of having cool stuff is showing people how cool it is. I love whipping out my iPhone or iPad in public, and especially using cool features like Siri.

sgrrsh26

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2009
Remember bluetooth when it first came out?
"You talking to me??"

Society will become accustomed to it.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Don't worry about what others think. Use Siri if you want to.

And remember, if people around you are getting kind of nosy or giving you weird looks..... Just say to Siri "I need to hide a body"... they won't bother you after that.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
yeah today I used Siri to set a reminder for later while I was at a party but didn't want to other people to see me talking to my phone so I walked over to an empty room to do it. The "raise to ear" thing rarely worked for me when I tried it, so I've had it turned off to save some battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.