Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Live tiles seem like limited versions of widgets to me. I'm too used to Android widgets to be impressed with live tiles. Most of the live tiles are actually dead tiles to me that look worse that icons on Android or iOS. The ones that are actually live seem more like eye candy than anything useful. Like I really need my contacts tile to randomly flip through pictures of people. How is that useful?

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
My first time with the tiles was the XBOX and I disliked them immediately. One thing that blows is if you see something that caught your eye and the tile is in scrolling effect then you have to wait for it to come back around. Usually it's about 5 slides of tiles. On a phone if I have 2 VM's and a few texts and a couple emails I am not going to stare and watch the tiles update, I would rather click or use a pull down notification.

Win8 I tried on a desktop and was meh on it, but it is the future of MS stuff. Vista was bad and sold 400 million? Maybe more, so people will learn to like 8 anyways cause it is so large and basically has a monopoly on the desktop. No fault of their own really, why someone else hasn't tried to get in some market share is strange though. Apple is a no cause that strategy is limited to maybe 15% at best. Like a linux flavor getting a push or something.

Ubuntu with the same level of support would be better. Windows is massively bloated because MS won't dump some legacy they should dump. If I am calling shots all those businesses and users on XP would have lost support in 2011. A brief extension is all I would have given it and by now it would have been move to 7 or go somewhere else. Those cheap Dells they always buy with Windows tells me I got them upgrading in the bag, :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Renzatic

Suspended
Ubuntu with the same level of support would be better. Windows is massively bloated because MS won't dump some legacy they should dump.

That's kind of what MS is currently working on...slowly. WinRT, which as of right now is the API used in all Metro applications, is poised to eventually replace Win32. Legacy support will eventually be handled through virtual machines, which are now built directly into all versions of Windows as of 8's release.

Like it or not, Win8 is the first step towards debloating the entire OS.

...which really truthfully honestly isn't nearly as bloated as you think it is. A goodly chunk of that 12GB install size are excess drivers and multilanguage support files.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
That's kind of what MS is currently working on...slowly. WinRT, which as of right now is the API used in all Metro applications, is poised to eventually replace Win32. Legacy support will eventually be handled through virtual machines, which are now built directly into all versions of Windows as of 8's release.

Like it or not, Win8 is the first step towards debloating the entire OS.

...which really truthfully honestly isn't nearly as bloated as you think it is. A goodly chunk of that 12GB install size are excess drivers and multilanguage support files.

Yea I know they cut some of it back which is good. Dont like the tiles obviously here though. I may have to learn to like em though if Apple cant provide the hardware I want. I found win8 usable no problem, as the XBOX dashboard, didnt mean I had to like it. ;)

And it is really good they are removing the bloat. Those business on XP could kiss my A if they wanted to stay on it this long then stay on it without support then. 13 years is nuts. 7 should be max IMO.

Renzatic

Suspended
And it is really good they are removing the bloat. Those business on XP could kiss my A if they wanted to stay on it this long then stay on it without support then. 13 years is nuts. 7 should be max IMO.

Dude guy, 13 years ain't nothing. I've been to places where people are still running part fabricators using Windows 3.11 on...I dunno...like 486s or something. They had those big floppy drives on them and everything. :p

For you and I, upgrading to the latest and greatest is a couple thousand at the very very very high end. But for people like the above mentioned, jumping from 3.11 to even XP could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for new equipment, and thousands more plus hours lost on training. If they're a relatively small company, it's no wonder they squeeze every penny out of their investment. As long as it works, they'll keep using it.

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Computers at a lot of campus bookstores are straight out of the 80s...13 years really isnt that terrible. I like the live tiles on WP8 and W8...but I agree with you on Xbox, everytime i use it I wonder if they really needed it or not.

Renzatic

Suspended
It isn't the best experience on the Xbox, I agree. Tiles are better used with a pointing device (like your finger, the ultimate pointing device). Going through them with a controller is like chunk...chunk...chunk...chunk...okay, here's Netflix. Woo.

Until the Kinect takes off, I think consoles are better suited to big vertical menus.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Dude guy, 13 years ain't nothing. I've been to places where people are still running part fabricators using Windows 3.11 on...I dunno...like 486s or something. They had those big floppy drives on them and everything. :p

For you and I, upgrading to the latest and greatest is a couple thousand at the very very very high end. But for people like the above mentioned, jumping from 3.11 to even XP could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for new equipment, and thousands more plus hours lost on training. If they're a relatively small company, it's no wonder they squeeze every penny out of their investment. As long as it works, they'll keep using it.

Let them run DOS. MS should obsolete their OS's a bit quicker to progress them. 7 years of support would be very good still, if the business want to penny pinch then by all means do so, they just won't be doing it with any kind of support so hopefully their IT is up to snuff. If so then they ca run win95 and save them pennies.

The higher ups can blow the big wads on coke and whores. :cool:

In short I am saying MS can progress Windows faster and the company's that use the old versions can continue to do so. Win win in my books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.